[BETA 18] Everyone Can Do Everything!

Started by Mrred1, June 12, 2017, 02:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrred1

Updated for Beta 18!

Inspired by the "Everyone Can Haul" mod, this mod ignores the restrictions of colonists caused by their backstories and/or personal traits. Everyone can do all types of work!

Please note: this mod does not change the requirements needed for certain tasks. For exmaple, if your colonist could not previosly grow, they won't be able to grow strawberries if level 6 in growing is needed, even if they now have the ability.

Also, this does not require a new save.

Steam Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945450583

If you are a non Steam player, you can still download this mod by downloading clicking this link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1o7urstabWI9Jx5MmM8VMKndsTHa0TwIG?usp=sharing

"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings." ~ Robert Bloch ~

rambo

Noice mod but it seems al litte too over powered

Mrred1

Thanks. It is a little bit but some people might like it, not everyone will though. Also, the skills that were previously disabled will now be at 0, so it is not completely overpowered.
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings." ~ Robert Bloch ~

AngleWyrm

The backstories system has three things it can do with work
  • Skill buffs/nerfs
  • Work prerequisite(s) to be eligible for a given backstory
  • Work(s) forbidden by a given backstory
My opinion is that the forbid hammer got/gets over-used by backstory authors, where skill nerfs could be more appropriate. For example why is it that the medical professionals and researchers are incapable of clean and hygienic behavior one might expect of surgeons and laboratory professionals?

Generic modification is of course a loss of resolution and detail to the stories, but I never take characters with forbidden work backstories anyway. So on to the suggestion

What if there were some sort of swap, so that wherever someone has written 'Thou shalt not xyz' the story gets instead a nerf to skills used by xyz. Maybe -10 so that the result is almost always a starting level of skill-0 in the pertinent fields. That way a character can have a backstory and then adapt to their new environment.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

GrumpyProgrammer

Does this work like "Everyone Can Haul" in that if someone is physically incapable of doing the work, they still can't?

I'm speaking of someone without arms being able to haul or grow, for example.

QuoteWhat if there were some sort of swap, so that wherever someone has written 'Thou shalt not xyz' the story gets instead a nerf to xyz. Maybe -10 so that the result is almost always a starting level of skill-0 in the pertinent fields. That way a character could have a backstory and then adapt to their new environment.

I approve of this suggestion. It would also be neat if there was an option to also have backstories give mood buff/debufs on doing certain types of work (traits can do this, after all). This may be beyond the scope of the mod, but is something to think about.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: GrumpyProgrammer on June 12, 2017, 03:52:45 PM
It would also be neat if there was an option to also have backstories give mood buff/debufs on doing certain types of work (traits can do this, after all).

If the backstories data structure also stored changes to passions and burning passions, it would be a step in that direction.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Rimrue

Dammit! You beat me to it! Lol

I'm working on a similar mod, but have introduced traits instead of the incapabilities. See Pawns Are Capable! in my sig.

Mrred1

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Let me address each individually:

AngleWyrm: I agree with your idea with the backstories and swapping. I will look into that and see if I can do that.

GrumpyProgrammer: This works exactly like "Everyone Can Haul" except it adds more abilities. If you have an injury then you can't do it, i.e., if your colonist is physically unable to they won't be able to.

rambo

Quote from: Mrred1 on June 12, 2017, 02:12:59 PM
Thanks. It is a little bit but some people might like it, not everyone will though. Also, the skills that were previously disabled will now be at 0, so it is not completely overpowered.
You should make it a negitive passion like lower learning and a debuff when doing that dissabled job

Mrred1

That's a good idea, however, if I make the points go too low and the passion negative, it would sort of defeat the purpose of this mod. I'll take your idea into consideration and figure out how to better balance this.

rambo

Quote from: Mrred1 on June 12, 2017, 07:15:20 PM
That's a good idea, however, if I make the points go too low and the passion negative, it would sort of defeat the purpose of this mod. I'll take your idea into consideration and figure out how to better balance this.
Thanks ;D

Rei-No

Quote from: Rimrue on June 12, 2017, 04:16:16 PM
Dammit! You beat me to it! Lol

I'm working on a similar mod, but have introduced traits instead of the incapabilities. See Pawns Are Capable! in my sig.

I've tried "Pawns are Capable" and if you think it's better, its not in my opinion,  as - 50, -75 debuff  are nothing but you can't use this skill, it is impossible to recover from debuffs like that, when your playing a very hard game, they flat kill your colony. Just try it on the frozen ice sheet or extreme desert, and see how you far you get.  Sorry I wont be using  your mod either, because I don't use the Steam ver of the game. So I can't get it. I don't think your mod is OP, in the survival setting, you'd have to let those people go. there is no free lunch, unless that person offers you some over the top skill that you'd be willing to use them. Its the one glaring error of this world. You just let them go and you can't, your forced to use them, when they are a totally worthless person, that is in fact, walking dead that steals from your colony.
I will keep my eye out for this being availiable to the non steam user.

Mrred1

I absolutely agree with you! The -50 rebuffs are insane,especially in a life or death situation. I like the idea of that mod, but it needs major adjusting. Also, this mod is available for non steam users but to have to be logged in to ludeon.

rambo

The pacifists can shoot but cant melee

Rimrue

Hi Rei-No, if you have feedback for Pawns Are Capable! could you post on its Release thread (see my sig) so as not to detract from Mrred1's mod thread?

But since it's been brought up, I should mention it is getting an overhaul to the mood debuff system. Being a new modder yourself, I'm sure you can relate to the difficulty of making your idea work in the game the way you first envisioned it. ;)

Thanks!