Hostile raiders give up and leave

Started by Sarl, June 13, 2017, 12:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarl

So I'm pretty far into my colony and so far everything is good I've got a good kill box and my colonist are decked for war. Some raiders came into my colony to raid it and since I knew they were going to instantly die i didn't pay much attention to it but they didn't attack, they just stayed outside of my walls wandering around until eventually a message pop up and it said that they had given up and were leaving. Is this a new feature? It's been 3 raids where this has happened, they just stay outside of my colony and after a while they go away.
Permadeath builds character

Dashthechinchilla

I know raiders can learn the position of your traps, but I have never had them refuse to enter a killbox when given no other option. Sappers aside.

Swat_Raptor

yea I've seen this happen a few times now, Non sapper raids waltzing towards a kill box but stopping short of it, then they stop and wait around and leave eventually.

erdrik

Ive not seen that behavior yet, but I actually really like it if its intended.

So far the only raid group Ive had that fled without attacking, was the very first raid in my current game.
But the raider ran off with the silver I landed with before I could even get my colonists into position. So I don't count that as the same as what the OP is describing.

jamaicancastle

Quote from: erdrik on June 13, 2017, 12:25:53 PM
So far the only raid group Ive had that fled without attacking, was the very first raid in my current game.
But the raider ran off with the silver I landed with before I could even get my colonists into position. So I don't count that as the same as what the OP is describing.

Theft is a separate raider mechanic: if they aren't threatened, and they see a certain amount of wealth in items around them, they'll take it and leave. They'll even uninstall buildings. (I once had a raider attempt to make off with my multianalyzer...)

Shurp

Neat, so raiders aren't completely suicidal anymore, that's an improvement!

Now if only they had some sort of negotiating ability...

"There's been too much violence.  Just walk away."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPY5P0TaC4k

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.