[B19] ResearchPal and HelpTab

Started by notfood, June 13, 2017, 10:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

@Sarge .. thats not researchPal, thats Organized Research Tab .. if you deactivate that Pal should look right.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Sarge

Thank you, except, I deactivated and restarted the game and it still looks the same.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Sarge on January 11, 2018, 06:53:52 PM
Thank you, except, I deactivated and restarted the game and it still looks the same.

Make sure you don't have any extra nesting in your mod folders. It appears that research pal is not installed at all.

Sarge

Yes man! You clever people!

Supe's Scrollbars mod was hiding in there still and overriding ResearchPal.

Thanks kindly.

Harry_Dicks

So ResearchPal appears to have a search bar now? Gotta check this out, that was the pretty the last thing I think they needed to add, besides being able to address the stacking issue. Firing up RimWorld now to give this a shot and see how it turns out!

Also, and how I last remember it, but I think it would be really great if you could have all of the technologies in HelpTab organized by their tech level, with a tree you can collapse/expand for each one (it would have Undefined, Animal, Neolithic, Medieval, Industrial, Spacer, Ultra, Transcendent all listed under their own categories.) Even better, would be if you could tell just from the list/tree what has or has not been researched. Maybe give a light red or green background, or just a simple "check" or "x" infront of the names of research. That really would be a freaking awesome addition, in my mind, because when you have hundreds and hundreds of different research options, you can only see so much on the screen at once anyway with ResearchPal and everything having it's own tiles. So in HelpTab as you just browse through the categories of say Neolithic techs when you are Industrial, and you can easily find that last handful of Neolithic techs you need to have them all finished.

EDIT: Holy shit, there's the new version on the master of his github guys, and it's fucking beautiful. I am now seeing some researches, that I have NEVER seen before, because they were habitually hiding under other tiles, always stacked on top of. And it has a built in LIVE SEARCH functionality now that will actually TAKE YOU to where the research is at on the research screen! NIIIICE! That's really, really freaking great. Because even though you can mouseover a tile and see the path, for maybe 90% of my researches that is useless, because the connected tiles are so far apart I can barely ever see any parent/child techs.

Honestly, the last thing I think this mod needs, to feel completely 110% complete, would be if you could see the list of parent/child techs popup for every tech when you mouseover it. That way you don't have to go to the HelpTab to see what comes and goes from every tech. Right now, the only way I can see that is if it uses that little circle thing that "connects" techs without a path. Because like I said earlier, I can never see what goes to who, it's just a giant screen of techs.

Canute

I have a request for HelpPal.
If you search for an item, you can get the results from which recipe,workbench,research is needed.
I would like to see what kind of recipes would use this item.
I think that search could be resourceintensive, so maybe the user need to start this search by clicking on a button.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Canute on January 14, 2018, 10:32:05 AM
I have a request for HelpPal.
If you search for an item, you can get the results from which recipe,workbench,research is needed.
I would like to see what kind of recipes would use this item.
I think that search could be resourceintensive, so maybe the user need to start this search by clicking on a button.

Couldn't the game just precache all of the recipes that you could make from whatever item? But I was thinking more, could you give an example of what you would like to see what something else makes? I ask because I don't think there are too many things in the game that go through changes in the production chain that people don't know what they are. I'll admit I didn't know what to do with Spectago leaves when I first had them, but finally saw Spectago Tea. It wasn't until someone was on these forums though, asking about how to make paint supplies. I found out they used the Spectago leaves, but I would have never know I could turn them into that without this person asking. Some things you do not need to see though, like Steel. It could just say, "Used for <metallic> construction" or something like that, stoney, wood, whatever. Same for components.

SpaceDorf

Thats why canute wanted to search for it.

You don't have to search for steel or stuff.

But your example with spectago tea is the best answer to give to your question.

What is this stuff I have never seen before. Where do I get it, what can I do with it.
Which Mod added this stupid shit.

I don't think Canute was asking because he plays Vanilla so much.
You should be able to relate ;D

Harry_Dicks

I know, I'm just dumb sometimes :-\ I have such an obvious answer in front of me and I still don't get it!

SpaceDorf

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 14, 2018, 01:34:11 PM
Thats me.

Captain Obvious.

You're so dumb you don't even know your own name, it's Captain SpaceDorf. omg this guy...

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on January 14, 2018, 01:36:50 PM

You're so dumb you don't even know your own name, it's Captain SpaceDorf. omg this guy...

You n00b call yourself Dicks and me dumb ?
Never heard of a secret identity ?
;D ;D :D

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: SpaceDorf on January 14, 2018, 04:43:00 PM
You n00b call yourself Dicks and me dumb ?
Never heard of a secret identity ?
;D ;D :D

My secret identity came down to either Harry_Dicks or Harry_Nips. For whatever reason, the Dicks won. 8)

SpaceDorf

wwWraith

Quote from: notfood on January 17, 2018, 05:34:28 PM
I did some changes to HelpTab, it shouldn't cause issues anymore. If anyone has them please share the logs in the HelpTab thread.

Do you mean it in the last release 0.18.1.0 from 23.11.2017 or there should be newer version?
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.