[B19] ResearchPal and HelpTab

Started by notfood, June 13, 2017, 10:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffy (l2032)

actually, browsers are moving away from using backspace. For example, it's not Alt-Left in Chrome.

stigma

True - firefox and internet explorer still does backspace though.

I'm not sure why chrome has gone the other way on this. I see they even have a reminder that pops up telling you to use ALT-left instead if you try to use backspace - which in itself is probably a good indication that this is what a lot of users expect.

There's probably a good reason to avoid conflicts with active content or something but... well, whatever key is used in this case I don't really mind as long as the function is there, and is made known somehow. I'd probably just try to include a tiny-font hint in the top of the window if there is room for it - and if not then just put it in the description info.

-Stigma

stigma

Yea, I have to report the same as a few others already have - unfortunately ResearchPal has some issues with putting research boxes on top of eachother. This is pretty critical for this sort of mod I'd say.

Specifically in my case it was "basic prosthetics" from EPOE overlapping with "ambrosia" from vegetable garden.

Tip: If you have helptab too (and you should) you can still reach the research (assuming you know what you are missing) by searching it up in help and hitting the research-button from there. Obviously not an ideal solution, but its better than breaking your ongoing game.

I hope that gets sorted soon, because that's potentially game-breaking to the point that it's hard to justify using this over "organized research tab". ORT is good too, but ResearchPal seems like it has a lot more potential.

Some general feedback:
The only thing I can't stad about ResearchPal is that those arrows which show what connects to what are a damn mess. It's great as long as the structuring is simple, but once those arrows start overlapping with other patchs there is no way in hell you can actually follow them. I'm very thankful for the mouseover highlighting previous requirements as this works around the problem, but it requires a lot of manual search sometimes.

A specific request:
Can we please have an icon or text that specifies techlevel at a glance on the box itself? Maybe just a single letter is enough in order to keep the UI clean, or a colored border or something along these lines. It's especially handy for those of us that play tribals and/or with "techadvancement" since a research topics techlevel is pretty essential to know under those circumstances.

stigma

ok so I got paranoid about there being stuff missing/hidden in my research tree so I counted up all the research items on ResearchPal and then compared them with ORT. The Idea was that if ORT had, say, 3 more - then I could probably identify them and keep them in mind.

But... apparently in ORT I have 128 research topics, and in RP I have 131...
and that's not even counting the at least 1 confirmed overlap in RP, so meaning it's at least 132
(this is with a moderate amount of mods)

So now I don't even know what to think...
Does ORT have a similar issue?

EDIT: Tested in vanilla and I counted 131 there.
I might be one off in counting somewhere because it's pretty easy to make a mistake somewhere, but assuming I didn't that that number doesn't match either RP or ORT...

I are much confusement...

I don't think I'm about to compare all the research topics to find a pattern in what is missing from where, because that's just a stupid amount of manual crosschecking.

Anyone got any ideas about what's happening here?

-Stigma

Der Failer

@notfood Any news on my little problem here? It the problem is on Zombielands end please tell me, so i can ask pardeike about it.

notfood

Can you try with the attached DLL?

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Der Failer

Yes! Just played a bit around and from what i can tell it work all fine now. Thanks!

But i noticed one other thing. If a simple research bench and a hi-tech research bench is present, and a research requiring the hi-tech gets selected a notification about missing requirements is trigger.

Undeadbanana

Quote from: Der Failer on July 10, 2017, 03:26:16 PM
Yes! Just played a bit around and from what i can tell it work all fine now. Thanks!

But i noticed one other thing. If a simple research bench and a hi-tech research bench is present, and a research requiring the hi-tech gets selected a notification about missing requirements is trigger.

To get around that, I've had to uninstall the Regular research bench.

Der Failer

Quote from: Undeadbanana on July 10, 2017, 11:43:43 PM
To get around that, I've had to uninstall the Regular research bench.
There is no need to do that. A is only a notification that shouldn't get triggered, but is does not effect the research it self. So even if you have both tables and start a hi-tech research your guy will do the work just fine. Just make sure not to start a research requiring a Multi-analyzer on accident.

moonra

Is there a way to see what's in the research queue? It's a bit annoying having to go up and down the research tree to see if I need to change the order.

lorebot

has anyone else reported missing Research options while using ResearchPal?

I can't find any of Rikki's Mining Co research topics :(

stigma

Quote from: lorebot on July 12, 2017, 09:24:05 PM
has anyone else reported missing Research options while using ResearchPal?

I can't find any of Rikki's Mining Co research topics :(

See my posts a bit back.
Some research can overlap others (rarely). You get 2 tooltip infos, but only one is clickable.

Also, if you KNOW what is missing then if you use helptab then you can find the research topic and start it from there - thus a workaround for now.

Even accounting for overlapping research (ive only been able to confirm 1 for sure) I still get odd amounts of numbers in researchpal, organized research tab, and vanilla - which leaves me scratching my head.

-Stigma

Der Failer

Found a minor bug:
If you click on a notification (like "We have struck compacted steel!"), you'll jump to the location but the research screen remains open.

I also just realize that i have two research overlapping, but since both are already finished due to the scenario it's on big deal.
Edit: basic prostetics (EPOE) and ambrosia cultivation (vegetable garden) are overlapping

stigma

Quote from: Der Failer on July 13, 2017, 11:34:24 AM
Found a minor bug:
If you click on a notification (like "We have struck compacted steel!"), you'll jump to the location but the research screen remains open.

I also just realize that i have two research overlapping, but since both are already finished due to the scenario it's on big deal.

which two was it for you? It might help them track down why they overlapped.
In my case it was basic prostetics from EPOE and ambrosia cultivation from vegetable garden (I think that's where it's from at least).

-Stigma

faltonico

Hi there!
I just had to uninstall the mod =( for some reason, some research projects that were behind research requirements or the multi-analyzer were not possible to do because somehow, the mod didn't detect that i already had it researched or built them.
The particular research was Microelectronics basics, I disabled the mod and could advance with the research, enabled again and some projects were still blocked, like the ones needing the multianalizer, even though I already had it built.