[B19] ResearchPal and HelpTab

Started by notfood, June 13, 2017, 10:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Canute on December 17, 2017, 04:06:13 PM
Yes and no.
Maybe you can find a certain tech faster when they are seperated into tabs.
But i like the nice hierachy overview. And i don't mind to scroll down, rather then to switch the tabs.

I too like the hierarchical view. What would be nice is a search field built into the mod! Yes I know you can use HelpTab for that as well, but for setting multiple researches, a window *in* the mod would work best.

SpaceDorf

I like the hierarchical view myself, but it is too dense in my oppinion.

The similiar colors and the densely packed grid of base researches makes it nearly illegible to me and the connecting lines between the single items nearly invisible.

The search field is nice, but only if you allready know what the research is called, else it is just salt into the wound.

Letting Mods keep their Tabs would reduce the density.

What could also work would be to increase the distance between the single research points.
Having vanilla key-researches in fixed positions. ( i.e. micro-electronics and multi-analyzer )

Every Single Research without further requirements put in the first column, instead of the bottom.

Every research with follow up researches starts at the second column and gets a different color. ( I know most trees are allready handled this way, but there is still room for improvement )

finally a totally insane wish :
A research Tab where the selected Research Queue is displayed in order of selection with the option to change this order without having to re-select the whole list.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Harry_Dicks

When using this mod (and almost 200 others..) sometimes some of the research icons are stacked on top of each other. The only way to find out they are like that though, is to mouseover a specific research and see if multiple tooltips popup with descriptions for different researches. I've been using the HelpTab mod (how ironic both from the same guy :) ) to research something specific out of these "stacked" icons.

My question is - does anyone know of a solution to fixing this? It seems like 98% of them all work perfectly, only a few that get double stacked. I have this mod as probably number 6 on my load order. I suppose later today I will put it near the bottom, and see if that helps..

sarfa

can you add seach at Research Tab ?

Harry_Dicks

Yes, somehow combine the search from the HelpTab for researches into ResearchPal would be fantastic!

Harry_Dicks

So it seems like my HelpTab is broken now. I've tried it at the top and bottom of my load order, but still get the error. So when I go to my help tab, there are 0 entries, I cannot see any items in HelpTab at all except the categories.

Exception from long event: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at HelpTab.HelpBuilder.<HelpForRecipe>m__27 (Verse.SkillRequirement sr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectIterator>c__Iterator10`2[Verse.SkillRequirement,RimWorld.SkillDef].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[RimWorld.SkillDef].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[RimWorld.SkillDef]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[SkillDef] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HelpTab.HelpBuilder.HelpForRecipe (Verse.ThingDef thingDef, Verse.RecipeDef recipeDef, HelpTab.HelpCategoryDef category) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HelpTab.HelpBuilder.ResolveRecipes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HelpTab.HelpBuilder.ResolveImpliedDefs () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.LongEventHandler.UpdateCurrentSynchronousEvent (System.Boolean& sceneChanged) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.LongEventHandler:UpdateCurrentSynchronousEvent(Boolean&)
Verse.LongEventHandler:LongEventsUpdate(Boolean&)
Verse.Root:Update_Patch1(Object)
Verse.Root_Entry:Update()

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? It is also preceded by 10 yellow lines:

HelpTab :: Failed to build help for: AnimalRationV
HelpTab :: Failed to build help for: PelletsV
HelpTab :: Failed to build help for: PelletsP
HelpTab :: Failed to build help for: TriceratopsHorn
HelpTab :: Failed to build help for: Muffalo
HelpTab :: Failed to build help for: Gazelle
HelpTab :: Failed to build help for: Iguana
HelpTab :: Failed to build help for: Rhinoceros
HelpTab :: Failed to build help for: Dromedary
HelpTab :: Failed to build help for: GrizzlyBear

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated, or if you could point me in the right direction of what steps I should take next, that works too. Thanks! :)

EDIT: So removing only 1 mod out of my list fixed it, Animal Husbandy. I figured that's where the "Pellets" were coming from. Out of curiosity, how is it possible for 1 mod to break HelpTab like that? I suppose I had incorrectly assumed that the help info would just be blank or corrupted for a few things, not remove the help entries for literally everything else!

EDIT2: I still have the 7 yellow errors pertaining to the animals. Odd. Are those not vanilla animals? What would mess with those? Maybe Genetic Rim? Ahhh to hell with it, I've been building this list of mods for 3 days straight and finally got almost everything fixed... I'm ready to start a new game!

Exende

Exception from long event: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at HelpTab.HelpBuilder.<HelpForRecipe>m__27 (Verse.SkillRequirement sr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectIterator>c__Iterator10`2[Verse.SkillRequirement,RimWorld.SkillDef].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[RimWorld.SkillDef].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[RimWorld.SkillDef]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[SkillDef] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HelpTab.HelpBuilder.HelpForRecipe (Verse.ThingDef thingDef, Verse.RecipeDef recipeDef, HelpTab.HelpCategoryDef category) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HelpTab.HelpBuilder.ResolveRecipes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HelpTab.HelpBuilder.ResolveImpliedDefs () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.LongEventHandler.UpdateCurrentSynchronousEvent (System.Boolean& sceneChanged) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.LongEventHandler:UpdateCurrentSynchronousEvent(Boolean&)
Verse.LongEventHandler:LongEventsUpdate(Boolean&)
Verse.Root:Update_Patch1(Object)
Verse.Root_Entry:Update()

what is this error?  is it just a mod that didn't add the help info or a mod that is missing some brackets?  (m__27)

Canute

Harry_Dicks,
since you wrote "my HelpTab is broken now. " i assume it worked before and it is installed correct.

Then you should what mod cause this trouble.
Try a string search at the mods folder for "m__27" since helptab can't resolve this recipe. Maybe you can find the mod for this recipe.
When you find a mod, try to deactivate it and check if this help.

Same you can do for the warnings (yellow lines).

And then give the proper mod authors an info about these mod incompactibilies.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Canute on January 06, 2018, 04:27:49 AM
Harry_Dicks,
since you wrote "my HelpTab is broken now. " i assume it worked before and it is installed correct.

Then you should what mod cause this trouble.
Try a string search at the mods folder for "m__27" since helptab can't resolve this recipe. Maybe you can find the mod for this recipe.
When you find a mod, try to deactivate it and check if this help.

Same you can do for the warnings (yellow lines).

And then give the proper mod authors an info about these mod incompactibilies.

I honestly have no idea how to do a string search, I will have to look that up though. And yes, it was installed correctly and working before. However I just rebuilt all of my mod list from scratch, and at some point while adding to it, I got the red error about HelpTab. I assumed (incorrectly) that I would still be able to use it, just some recipes were missing. So I kept building onto the mod list, and didn't keep up with which one originally caused it. I've trimmed down to about 285 mods now, but still a shit ton, and game takes forever for restarts. It's okay though, at least I was able to figure it out!

Harry_Dicks

Has anyone ever tried deleting all of the different ResearchTabs.xml from all of their mods, to eliminate the stacking problem?

Sarge

Is ResearchPal supposed to make the tree look like the pics on the OP? Cause mine doesn't.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Sarge on January 11, 2018, 04:37:30 PM
Is ResearchPal supposed to make the tree look like the pics on the OP? Cause mine doesn't.

It doesn't look like these? Post what yours looks like..

Harry_Dicks

Sarge, first thing if I were you would be try it in a different spot in the load order, and check my download & version. Are you getting any errors? Why don't you have dev mode on if something is broken and you want to fix it?