[A17b] Insects Attack Colony After Roof Collapse and Repeatedly Become Hostile

Started by Dshiao, June 14, 2017, 05:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dshiao

I recently lost a colony when a roof collapse caused an entire insect hive all the way on the other side of the map to to attack my colony. I was planning on dealing with the hive, but before I could prepare my turrets, the insects mined enough stone around them to cause a roof collapse, causing them to attack my base and trash all my production equipment. This happened even though none of my colonists were even remotely close to their hives and had never attacked an insect. Afterwards, the insects began attacking my colony repeatedly without any provocation, only to become docile again for a few minutes before turning hostile. This cycle seemed to repeat endlessly. The relentless assault ended up reducing my colony to an unsustainable state, with all my colonists starving because my hydroponics and refrigerator were destroyed and I couldn't make a new component assembly bench because the bugs were blocking the exits and constantly destroying all production equipment I had.  In addition, some insects don't seem to return to their hives properly after they attack, instead taking up residence in my food stockpile. Whenever I tried to get rid of them, the entire hive attacked. To replicate the bug, spawn an insect hive and let it multiply until a roof collapse occurs. The insects should then repeatedly attack the colony without any other provocations. Please fix this annoying issue.

ItsEddy

In A17, When they are aggroed, they always choose the closest furniture instead of my colonist stand right in front of door(stay open).
This is really annoying when the hives spawn in my greenhouse, I can only lure 1 of 20 to the corridor and fight them, and the rest decide to destroy my hydroponics which is not a threat for them.

asanbr

There was a bug hive far from me on the map. I didn't care since I was never planning to go there.

The bugs dug out the walls and the room they were in became bigger (it was an ancient structure in a mountain).

At some point there was a roof collapse and one of the hives was hurt. This made all the bugs hostile and they started travelling across the map to attack my base.

WAD?

edit: they didn't actually attack my base, but halfway they abandoned and turned back.

They were targeting my fuelled stove inside the base for a while.
I didn't know this could happen.

asanbr

Update:
A long chain of events (as always in Rimworld) led to those bugs trashing my base after all.

They went back towards their lair but the period of hostility and danger led to a friendly faction sending people over.

I didn't expect them to fight since the bugs had gone back, but the friendlies sought them out and got slaughtered big time. While fleeing, they led them back to my base.

I pulled everyone inside but one of my dogs started attacking the bugs. The dog was sort of drafted because it was assigned to a colonist who was drafted so I could get him inside. I didn't get the dog inside though.

The dog attacked the bugs and so aggroed the whole hive which took down the dog and then mined into my base (some walked straight into the killbox, but most went into my research lab through the wall and destroyed everything.

Then into the middle of my base.

Not realising how this would play out, I didn't call more friendlies until the battle was almost over.

Most of my colonists downed, some legs chopped off and eyes cut out, but no one dead.

All turrets destroyed and a bunch of stuff burned down. Not too bad though, I can take care of it.

SpaceDorf

Thats totally reasonable behavior all across the universe ..

something bad happens .. go blame your neighbours or organize a prostest march.

And yeap, friendlies .. your worst enemy.

Don't forget to send one of your healthy pawns to get rid of the hives. !

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

asanbr

I think it sall totally reasonable except the very first trigger. The roof collapse.

Then again if they didn't do that, I suppose people would find ways to cheese them like with mech ships.

A follow up question then is if this is wad, which makes kinda sense, since a bug hive will  always mine and therefore will trigger a roof collapse on itself sooner or later.

So better deal with them early. Even if they are far away.

Moderator's edit (Calahan) - I've merged this thread with an existing thread on the same issue.

Lowkey1987

Okay i know this problem. I try to repeat it from my knowledge.

What the circumstances were.
A hive spawned inside a mountain. The insects deconstruct walls. When the deconstruct to much, the "roof" will collapse. Worst case, it collapse on an insect or hive.

What happened.
The hive/insect get damage. Every insect will go on a attack. Perhaps (when the distance is to long) they will return to there hive. Otherwise, the will attack the colonie/pawns.

What you expected to happen.
Nothing. Bad luck for the bugs.

Steps we can follow to make the bug appear on our machine. This part is important! We need a set of steps which we can follow to get the same results you're seeing. Ideally you'll test these steps to make sure they work from scratch.

Spawn hives. Destroy enough mountain, so that a roof could collapse. Under said roof a hive should be. Watch the insects attack.

-------
I thing a part of the Problem is, that they dont know WHAT attacked them. It could be a roof, but also a IED (i build many of them in my mines). But there should be a difference between: A player do harm to the hive/the environment does damage. A attack could also be launchend trough other things (raiders, which...have to pass the hive as example).

ison

It works this way to avoid exploits where you can deliberately destroy walls and collapse roofs on insects. There are so many ways to exploit this so the best solution is to simply always blame the player. So unless we find a better solution it's working as intended. Thanks for reporting anyway.