Caravan departure direction

Started by DariusWolfe, June 15, 2017, 01:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DariusWolfe

So I have a question, which may morph into a suggestion based on how it goes.

I like to play in mountainous maps; Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment, but I still like mountain bases. One thing that I've noticed is a bit unfortunate is that the optimal direction for leaving the map isn't always open, due to how mountainous maps are generated. Right now, it adds half a day to my trips just to get into/out of my home tile, because the open directions lead to other mountainous tiles before I can get a caravan to the road.

So my question is this: If I dig out to the edge of the map (or get a big area reveal that extends to the edge of the map) does this open new directions for caravans to depart?

TheMeInTeam

That's a good question, but regardless of the answer (I don't know) it would be more ideal if the "open" borders of the map better correspond to map terrain.

A viable alternative if that's too difficult to implement would be to just let caravan use whatever map border to enter/leave but have any tile a caravan can enter eligible as an exit point, ignoring the border correspondence.  Since raids do this anyway I don't see an issue with it.

Limdood

I'm pretty sure that clearing even a 1 tile path to a given map edge would open up a direction as an option for leaving the map.

You can test it in mere seconds too:
1) save your game(if you're playing permadeath, tab out, open the save folder, and copy your save file so you don't ruin your game)
2) turn on debug mode
3) "destroy" tiles of mountain until you have a path
4) try to form a caravan and see if you can exit.
5) repeat steps 3 & 4 if it fails by opening a wider path or aiming to slightly different map edges (after all, you're trying to pick a HEX direction on a SQUARE map...)

DariusWolfe

Went ahead and tested, and it does look like it updates caravan directions. I got a fortunate area reveal, so I didn't even need to dig that deep. Now I just need to dig far enough west to open up the SW passage, and I'll be golden.

Canute

You didn't just open a new direction to leave your caravan, you also open a new spot for raiders to appear.
The chance for just a 1 tile tunnel is pretty low, but i would let the stone be unmined at the edge of the maps.

DariusWolfe

I'm definitely aware of the raider possibility. I built a small chokepoint full of deadfalls, forbid that area to colonists and pets, and have a granite door leading around it.

Of course, just as I finished it, I had a raid, from another direction.