Surprising family trees

Started by LittleMikey, June 17, 2017, 02:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleMikey

One of my colonists' Daughter and Great-Granddaughter just turned up in a raid. The colonist is 29 (both biologically and chronologically). Has anyone else experienced any curious families?

Bozobub

Lots, actually.  Enough that I note it but I'm not really surprised any more ::).
Thanks, belgord!

jamaicancastle

It's reassuring to note that even in the far future, humanity still has a Deep South...

I know Prepare Carefully will cheerfully allow you to designate a colonist to be the child of someone who is chronologically younger than they are, possibly through the intervention of a time machine. I don't know if the game proper has checks against that.

Bozobub

Quote from: jamaicancastle on June 17, 2017, 04:11:33 AM
It's reassuring to note that even in the far future, humanity still has a Deep South...

I know Prepare Carefully will cheerfully allow you to designate a colonist to be the child of someone who is chronologically younger than they are, possibly through the intervention of a time machine. I don't know if the game proper has checks against that.
You don't need a time machine.  A cryptosleep chanber is all that's required.
Thanks, belgord!

cultist

The game doesn't really seem to consider the biological age much when assigning relationships. Chronological age is sort of supposed to be a catch-all explanation of these things, but since it's all random it sometimes makes little sense.

8roads

may have something to do with space travel, theory of relativity, cryptosleep, etc......

jamaicancastle

Quote from: Bozobub on June 17, 2017, 04:32:37 AM
You don't need a time machine.  A cryptosleep chanber is all that's required.

Nah, that would cover a weird biological age, but not a weird chronological age. Let's take an example:

It's 5500. Pawn A has a chronological age of 20, meaning she was born in 5480. She might have spent some or all of that time in cryptosleep, making her biological age less, but the chronological age fixes her date of birth in time. Pawn B has a chronological age of 30, meaning he was born in 5470, again regardless of his biological age. Despite that, it will allow you to make Pawn B the son of Pawn A, despite the fact that when he was born, she didn't exist yet.

It's possible that relativity comes to the rescue here, but then again, it's possible that it doesn't; it makes my head hurt trying to keep track of it, so I'm just not going to bother. It's not like it does anything harmful to the game aside from look odd. :P