Crop transition

Started by Chibiabos, June 17, 2017, 10:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

I don't do a good job at determining exactly how much of a particular crop I need, and I tend to over-plant.  Often I wind up putting giant surpluses of durable crops onto a caravan to sell off ... but this lends to sometimes needing to transition fields from one crop to another.  I don't want to waste plants, though ... so I wind up disabling sowing, and as different plants in a growing zone mature at different times (depending on when they were planeted, soil fertility, etc.) I wind up trying to manually deleting pieces of the old growing zone over where the plants had been harvested and creating a new one for a different crop I'd like to grow.

This is a bit cumbersome-ly micromanage-y.  It'd be a lot simpler if there were an option to transition a field (growing zone) from one crop to another -- the existing plants would not be cut down until ready to harvest, but upon harvest the new crop will be planted.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Gohihioh

I don't agree with the idea. You don't need to micromange crops for them to do their job. If you want them to do job at the most efficient level(or you just planned badly beforehand) then you need to micromange.

That's how the mechanic should work. It's rimworld - you pay for your mistakes with your pawns life or your personal time ;p

Limdood

i DO agree with this suggestion, and it has been suggested and mostly supported before.

An OPTION to not sow the new crops until the old ones are harvested.  It can't be all the time, because sometimes you want them sown NOW.

erdrik

I agree with this as well.
In real life you wouldn't need to worry about that. You would just tell the workers to "Plant around existing crops" and then harvest the old crops as they mature.
Its not a matter of poor planing(sometimes the weather dictates how much of a crop your going to get), its a "quality of life" matter.

Draconicrose

This is a great suggestion! I wonder why this isn't a mod already. Maybe the coding for it is more complicated than it seems.
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist

Aerial

+1  I would love to have this.

SpaceDorf

I thought I allready wrote my support here, maybe it was in another thread ...

well yeah .. a button to replace only grown crops instead of just ripping everything out would be great.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

ItsEddy

+1, It will be useful to plant tree between crops too. Currently I plant crop first, and change to tree later, but this just wasted some work time.

Toast

I would also like this as an option. Sometimes you do want those crops pulled up and replaced right away... and sometimes you really don't. Would be nice to have the choice.

Jorlem

Maybe have another button on the controls for a growing zone, that says "Sow here next"? By default it would be whatever you select for the growing zone, but you'd be able to change it to a different crop, and it would stop resowing until the current crop is completely harvested, at which point it would swap the field to whatever you selected from the list and reallow sowing in that zone.

Chibiabos

Or maybe a "No Cut" toggle to prevent cutting plants (consistent with "Allow Sow")
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!