Make flagstone cheaper

Started by Chibiabos, June 18, 2017, 01:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

My suggestion: make flagstone cheaper to counterbalance the inability to recover it when removing flooring ... maybe either by reducing how many stone blocks are required to produce one tile of flagstone or perhaps allowing builders to build chunks directly into flagstone without having the stone block middlestep to make flagstone a better option for a large area.

My rationale is the moderate time savings of flagstone vs. stone blocks tends to not make it as worthwhile vs.  the sacrifice of not being able to recover anything useful if you decide to remove the flagstone floor.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

BlackSmokeDMax

I have two mods on the Workshop, one for 3 blocks per tile and one for two blocks per tile. Search by the name "Flagstone Cheaper"

If you don't have Steam, I'll post them here tomorrow.

Neotic

+1 argued for it before, it doesn't make any sense for you to build flagstone when you have a another that's the same cost and provide substantial perks over the other. Such as beauty and the ability to reclaim the resources.
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Trylobyte

When I saw that there was a cheaper stone flooring option being added I thought it would be by more than one brick per tile.  With that price it means we get 5 tiles per chunk instead of 4, which isn't a significant enough saving to justify using it over the regular stone flooring with its Beauty bonus.

Edit:  Flagstone is, economically, actually a bit more expensive than stone flooring.  Stone flooring costs 5 to build, but you can recover ~2.5 of that cost if you deconstruct it, so its real cost is 2.5 since that's the amount of resources you lose when you build it.  Flagstone costs 4 but you get nothing if you deconstruct it, so its real cost is 4. 

Limdood

Tynan mentioned that he added flagstone so that he'd have something to build the premade roads out of that players wouldn't just immediately deconstruct...

that they intentionally provide no resources back.

And actually, since carpet and wood is now flammable (wood, fine, but carpet, i'm annoyed with since its expensive anyways), a "no beauty, non flammable floor that doesn't cost steel" is still a worthwhile thing to build, and if it was drastically reduced cheaper than stone tile, it would probably be used exclusively.

Draconicrose

Agreed with this suggestion. I already use the cheaper flagstone mod and it definitely hasn't lead to me using flagstone exclusively. It's situational.
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist

cultist

Quote from: Limdood on June 18, 2017, 11:45:55 AM
And actually, since carpet and wood is now flammable (wood, fine, but carpet, i'm annoyed with since its expensive anyways), a "no beauty, non flammable floor that doesn't cost steel" is still a worthwhile thing to build, and if it was drastically reduced cheaper than stone tile, it would probably be used exclusively.
I'm not really seeing the logic here, but maybe it comes down to difference in playstyle. Time is only a worry for me in the first season or so, where you have almost nothing and have to tend to multiple things at once with a small amount of pawns (or just one).
I do use concrete, but only because it's the cheapest safe floor and beauty means nothing for storage rooms. 75 steel can cover a pretty large room, so the amount of time, labour and resources spent is about as low as it can get.
Flagstone, on the other hand, requires 4 times the resources and you need to refine them first. Loads of pawn time spent just getting the materials (don't forget you need to haul the chunks as well) and the only true advantage over steel, neutral beauty, is meaningless for the supposed purpose they serve.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: cultist on June 19, 2017, 09:50:40 AM
Flagstone, on the other hand, requires 4 times the resources and you need to refine them first. Loads of pawn time spent just getting the materials (don't forget you need to haul the chunks as well)
Don't forget about the build-time offset for stone. It also takes longer to build.

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on June 18, 2017, 02:17:05 AM
I have two mods on the Workshop, one for 3 blocks per tile and one for two blocks per tile. Search by the name "Flagstone Cheaper"

I have steam but don't like it, does this count ? Please post your mod.
I would like to build a nice road for my traders
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

ItsEddy

I think instead of making flagstone cheaper, add some unique properties might be useful, such as faster to clean, or less likely to be dirty. In this way it won't just become another type of concrete that is just looks better for player.

erdrik

Quote from: ItsEddy on June 21, 2017, 09:07:55 AM
I think instead of making flagstone cheaper, add some unique properties might be useful, such as faster to clean, or less likely to be dirty. In this way it won't just become another type of concrete that is just looks better for player.
I agree with adding unique properties, but I think those properties should match with its intended purpose.
FlagStone is used for the roads that criss-cross the world, I don't see how that would match with "easier to clean".

I say it would have to have something to do with world travel and caravans.
Some thing along the lines of it increasing a caravans travel speed on the world map by a certain amount(Ive not used caravans yet so Im not sure if it already does this).

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: SpaceDorf on June 21, 2017, 03:55:26 AM
Quote from: cultist on June 19, 2017, 09:50:40 AM
Flagstone, on the other hand, requires 4 times the resources and you need to refine them first. Loads of pawn time spent just getting the materials (don't forget you need to haul the chunks as well)
Don't forget about the build-time offset for stone. It also takes longer to build.

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on June 18, 2017, 02:17:05 AM

I have steam but don't like it, does this count ? Please post your mod.
I would like to build a nice road for my traders

Done: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33916.0

Toast

This would make me very happy. I don't mind not getting resources back from it and I understand the rationale behind making them that way but it's silly for them to cost as much time at a crafting bench when they provide no beauty and no potential for reclaimed resources.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: erdrik on June 21, 2017, 09:55:47 AM
FlagStone is used for the roads that criss-cross the world, I don't see how that would match with "easier to clean".

I'd say not so much easier to clean as... who cares if it's dirty? No one really cares if there's dirt or non-hazardous spills on the road, after all. So I'd say that some sort of dirt-resistance would be a good way to mirror this.

Sola

I don't use flagstone at all.  I might if it was cheaper?  Not sure.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Chibiabos

Quote from: Sola on June 21, 2017, 09:57:09 PM
I don't use flagstone at all.  I might if it was cheaper?  Not sure.

Yeah, kind of my argument -- the mild to moderate construction speed advantage just isn't worth it to me.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!