[A17] Pawns Are Capable! (No more disabled work!) Updated to V3.2!

Started by Rimrue, June 18, 2017, 01:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jecrell

...Psst. Still there? If you'd like to support
me and my works, do check out my Patreon.
Someday, I could work for RimWorld full time!

https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

Rimrue

New update:

-Mood debuffs are now time-based. The longer a pawn is assigned to a work type he or she detests, the larger the debuff will become.

- The severity of mood debuffs is now configurable in the options menu. So if you don't like the default debuff levels, you can select lower or higher settings.

- The work tab now highlights hated work types in amber, so it's easy to tell which jobs pawns hate and which pawns are assigned to those jobs.

- There is now a chance, albeit exceedingly slim, that a pawn assigned to a hated work type will decide it's not so bad after all, and lose the negative trait. But don't expect to be able to just assign pawns to work they hate and wait for their hatred to vanish. Mental breaks are much more common than epiphanies! ;)

dburgdorf

Also:

- There is now a lingering "I was assigned to work I hate" debuff which will last half as long as the work assignment (but no longer than a day).

- Pawns will no longer generate with assignments to hated work types. (Minor bug: Slackers won't be assigned to vanilla hauling, but might end up assigned to "extra" hauling duties like the "Hauling+" added by "Allow Tool." That should be fixed in the next update.)

- The mod now utilizes a LanguageData def file, to make translation easier.

:D
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

wwWraith

Nice work, thanks for the update! Highlighting also works in Fluffy's Work Tab (at least with its latest pre-release) :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

dburgdorf

Quote from: wwWraith on June 27, 2017, 01:13:15 AMHighlighting also works in Fluffy's Work Tab (at least with its latest pre-release)

That's great to know. Thanks! :D

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Rei-No

I'm sorry I don't agree, with what you've done. You put a lot of work into this, to make colony beyond miserable, in any harsh invironment, this isnt' going to fly. You will have constant breaks because of this. The moods will become so bad as to destroy the colony.
If you think about it. you've crashed you've never done work in your life.. but now your faced with surviving, are you really going to just sit there and refuse to lift a finger, like your the queen of All. hmm  really that is so unbelievable, the person who wrote the game has no knowledge at all of what that's like, that is why he wrote it in. If he did he'd understand that people don't refuse work, if they wish to be fed. They may not do it very well, say give them a minus to doing those things until they've learned to do them. but they don't sit on the rears either.  Only in a game environment would it even fly a little. but the story tellers inundate you with those type of people. And rarely give you anything thing different. Give them a minus to that work, but don't put hate on them. I'd just throw them out. they can go feed a wolves. I'm sorry I did try this I nearly croaked when I saw the penalities.  They are just way to over the top.   I tend to put those people into a small box and let them die. the penality the colony suffers is much less, then helping a queen that refuses to work  or casts a hatered spell on eveyone, because she was forced to.

JT

Just FYI, the general rule in most places is that if you don't like something, just don't install it, rather than ranting about why it's so awful to you. =)

Your argument is a little all over, too: you state that the game developer has no idea what they're doing when disabling the work entirely, but state that this mod developer's solution (not to disable the work entirely) is no solution either.  I'll simply note that all this mod does is empower emergency use.  Doing inhuman things like locking people in rooms because they have undesirable traits is precisely the rationale behind this mod, as it preserves the original game's balance but still allows you to do emergency stuff in a disaster.  The mood penalty is high precisely because that these people are "incapable" of doing these things still -- they can just be compelled to do it very grudgingly.

Finally, mods are mods -- you can edit the mood values to something more to your liking.  Open up Thoughts_Situations_Traits.xml and modify the penalties as you feel fit!  (The mod author hasn't stated permissions so you're not entitled to release those changes as a mod of your own, but you're more than welcome to use it... or not use it.  But we don't need to know that. ;-))

Rimrue

Hi Rei-No,

We've been working hard on an update based on feedback similar to yours.

Mood penalties now scale over time. And you can now reduce the mood penalties in the mod options if you are playing on a more difficult setting/biome. Also there is now a (rare) chance pawns will have a change of heart and will lose the negative trait and the mood debuffs. :)

However it sounds like your biggest issue is with Tynan's game design. That is out of our hands. As JT stated, we are just trying to create a mod that removes the incapabilities without removing the challenge. :)

And yes, if you find the reduced mood debuffs are still too high, you can edit them in the XML file JT mentioned. (But please no publishing those edits. ;) )

Thanks!

dburgdorf

Quote from: Rei-No on June 27, 2017, 03:36:46 PMI'm sorry I don't agree, with what you've done. You put a lot of work into this, to make colony beyond miserable, in any harsh invironment, this isnt' going to fly. You will have constant breaks because of this. The moods will become so bad as to destroy the colony.

If you assign pawns to do work they hate, and then leave them assigned to that work indefinitely, then yes, you'll make your pawns miserable. But that's not because there's anything wrong with the mod. It's because you're mismanaging your colony.

"Pawns Are Capable!" isn't designed as an "easy mode" mod that lets you just assign anyone to do anything and call it good. It replaces colonists who *can't* do particular tasks with colonists who can do them if it's absolutely necessary, but won't be happy about it. As JT noted, assigning pawns to work they hate is something you do in emergencies only.

(Minor side note: changing the mood debuffs in the XML files will *not* have any effect. Since the debuffs are configurable, they're actually set from within the code, and not according to what's in the XML defs. But at the "easy" config setting, the mood debuff for most hated work types during the first 12 hours of an assignment is a piddly -10, so it really shouldn't be crippling.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Rimrue

Quote from: dburgdorf on June 27, 2017, 04:04:18 PM
(Minor side note: changing the mood debuffs in the XML files will *not* have any effect. Since the debuffs are configurable, they're actually set from within the code, and not according to what's in the XML defs. But at the "easy" config setting, the mood debuff for most hated work types during the first 12 hours of an assignment is a piddly -10, so it really shouldn't be crippling.)

That's right. I forgot adding the configuration settings overrided the XML file.

dburgdorf

Responding to a comment by Mrred1 on the "Everyone Can Do Everything" thread:

Quote from: Mrred1 on June 27, 2017, 04:29:32 PMI think the new update it great, especially with the configurable debuffs. However, the only thing that I don't particularly like (others may disagree, this is just my opinion), is that over time the debuffs increase in severity. I would think that the pawns would get used to the job and maybe become less annoyed about doing it, but that's just my two cents. Great job though!

The debuffs are set to increase over time primarily for two reasons. First, we're trying not to completely undermine the "some pawns aren't suited for some types of work" mechanic that we're replacing. We want to make sure that assignments to hated work types are used sparingly. And second, while your scenario certainly isn't unreasonable, in my own experience -- primarily using myself as an example -- the increasing debuff is more realistic. I know the longer I'm expected to do a job I hate, the more pissed off I get about it. :D

That said, though, you've given me an idea for a possible update.

Right now, there's a very slim chance that a pawn doing hated work will suddenly have an epiphany and no longer hate it. Which is a bit abrupt, but not entirely unbelievable.

But it may make more sense to define the new traits as spectrum traits rather than as static traits. That would allow for a progression. At the first level, the pawn despises the work, and gets mood debuffs that increase over time when forced to do it. But at some random point, the pawn will switch to the second level, with lower and maybe stable debuffs. And so forth, until the "I'll do the work without complaining" point is reached. Make the development less abrupt.

It's worth some thought. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

wwWraith

Quote from: JT on June 27, 2017, 03:52:09 PM- snip -

In real life there are many phobias and whatever that make people actually incapable to do some things that others feel ok. Even for the sake of life/world/universe saving. They even know that it's not rational, but this knowledge doesn't help. They just can't force themselves to do these particular things. It is how it was designed in vanilla, so this mod is in fact an "easy mode" that allows you to force them if it's really needed. Of course there are costs, but it's realistically enough.

Quote from: Mrred1 on June 27, 2017, 04:29:32 PMBut at some random point, the pawn will switch to the second level, with lower and maybe stable debuffs.

And I'd suggest also a chance for the controversal scenario, when the pawn starts to hate that job even more ;)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Rimrue

Quote from: wwWraith on June 27, 2017, 04:54:01 PM
Quote from: JT on June 27, 2017, 03:52:09 PM- snip -

In real life there are many phobias and whatever that make people actually incapable to do some things that others feel ok. Even for the sake of life/world/universe saving. They even know that it's not rational, but this knowledge doesn't help. They just can't force themselves to do these particular things. It is how it was designed in vanilla, so this mod is in fact an "easy mode" that allows you to force them if it's really needed. Of course there are costs, but it's realistically enough.

Quote from: Mrred1 on June 27, 2017, 04:29:32 PMBut at some random point, the pawn will switch to the second level, with lower and maybe stable debuffs.

And I'd suggest also a chance for the controversal scenario, when the pawn starts to hate that job even more ;)

Yes, all of this! As someone with a few phobias myself, I know that forcing me to do work that involves facing them would make me absolutely miserable--even borderline hysterical. And if you read some of the backstories with these forced traits, I think these pawns would feel similarly. But I also know that phobias can be overcome by facing those fears head on. So I think having a chance they will have a change in attitude is realistic, but I wouldn't necessarily like to see it happen for every pawn. So maybe just a higher chance they will reach the second stage and learn to endure the work with a still rare chance that they may yet have an epiphany or go the opposite and hate the job even more?