[A17] Pawns Are Capable! (No more disabled work!) Updated to V3.2!

Started by Rimrue, June 18, 2017, 01:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Quote from: lorebot on July 07, 2017, 02:24:53 PMI haven't really looked at Editable Backstories at all, I figured it was in the line with Prepare Carefully and wouldn't affect my game much beyond that starting conditions. Does it do more than that?

The base version of "Pawns Are Capable!" unfortunately can create mismatches like the ones you're seeing.

One of the main ways that vanilla RimWorld makes sure backstories "synch" is through the use of required and disabled work tags. The "Healer" adult backstory, for example, requires the "Doctor" work tag (technically, it requires the "Caring" work type, but the end result is the same), and so won't be matched with a childhood backstory which disables it.

The childhood backstories you're seeing, in vanilla, disable that work tag, since the pawns are incapable of "Caring" work. And so they normally wouldn't be paired with the "Healer" adult story. But since PAC removes the incapability, replacing it with a trait, those backstories no longer disable the "Doctor" work tag as far as the vanilla game is concerned.

"Editable Backstories" has somewhat more robust checking than the vanilla game to make sure that backstories don't contradict each other. And it specifically looks at the traits added by PAC in conducting its checks. So even though the vanilla game doesn't recognize that "Hates Hospitals" + "Healer" makes no sense, EB will know better than to pair them together.

The base version of EB completely replaces the backstory database with a fully editable set of backstories. Obviously, as its author, I think that's a good thing, but I recognize that opinions can vary. ;) The "Lite" version of EB allows additions to the backstory database, but doesn't alter the base collection in any way. Either version will improve the filtering of backstories, though, and should help to prevent the sort of nonsensical backstory pairings you're seeing.

(Yet another option, of course, would be to try the "no traits" version of PAC, since that one doesn't alter the data upon which the vanilla game bases its match filtering.)
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Rimrue

See this is where my rudimentary understanding of coding gets me into trouble. Lol I thought those requiredWork tags would still work in PaC!

So it would seem for the next update we should institute a few checks so backstories which do have those requiredWork tags work properly in PaC!

lorebot

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 07, 2017, 02:58:20 PM
The base version of "Pawns Are Capable!" unfortunately can create mismatches like the ones you're seeing.

One of the main ways that vanilla RimWorld makes sure backstories "synch" is through the use of required and disabled work tags. The "Healer" adult backstory, for example, requires the "Doctor" work tag (technically, it requires the "Caring" work type, but the end result is the same), and so won't be matched with a childhood backstory which disables it.

The childhood backstories you're seeing, in vanilla, disable that work tag, since the pawns are incapable of "Caring" work. And so they normally wouldn't be paired with the "Healer" adult story. But since PAC removes the incapability, replacing it with a trait, those backstories no longer disable the "Doctor" work tag as far as the vanilla game is concerned.

"Editable Backstories" has somewhat more robust checking than the vanilla game to make sure that backstories don't contradict each other. And it specifically looks at the traits added by PAC in conducting its checks. So even though the vanilla game doesn't recognize that "Hates Hospitals" + "Healer" makes no sense, EB will know better than to pair them together.

The base version of EB completely replaces the backstory database with a fully editable set of backstories. Obviously, as its author, I think that's a good thing, but I recognize that opinions can vary. ;) The "Lite" version of EB allows additions to the backstory database, but doesn't alter the base collection in any way. Either version will improve the filtering of backstories, though, and should help to prevent the sort of nonsensical backstory pairings you're seeing.

(Yet another option, of course, would be to try the "no traits" version of PAC, since that one doesn't alter the data upon which the vanilla game bases its match filtering.)

I considered switching to the  'no traits' version, but I didn't want to create a new colony yet so I'm still using the original because I thought it would be weird to have a handful of colonists from before the switch.

And I appreciate your answer, but I didn't really get a clear answer about Editable Backstories. Does it do more than just help with colony start up? Will it affect raiders, visitors, and other pawns in an on going game?

dburgdorf

Quote from: lorebot on July 07, 2017, 05:12:40 PMAnd I appreciate your answer, but I didn't really get a clear answer about Editable Backstories. Does it do more than just help with colony start up? Will it affect raiders, visitors, and other pawns in an on going game?

Sorry; I guess I assumed the answer was implicit in my response. ;) The changes to the available backstories and to backstory "match filtering" (for lack of a better term) apply to every pawn created by the game, no matter when or why that pawn is generated.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

lorebot

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 07, 2017, 05:19:19 PMSorry; I guess I assumed the answer was implicit in my response. ;) The changes to the available backstories and to backstory "match filtering" (for lack of a better term) apply to every pawn created by the game, no matter when or why that pawn is generated.

That's what I figured from what you said, but I wanted to be sure :)

Rimrue

Just be aware that Editable Backstories will generate new backstories for all your pawns if you add it mid-game!

In the meantime, if you want to fix your healers so they can actually heal, you can go into your save file and change their childhood backstory to <childhood>TribeChild78</childhood>. The easiest way to do this is to search up the name of your pawn (Croio or Vasalo or Blue or whatever) and then scroll down till you find the <story> tag and then change the <childhood>VengefulChild</childhood> (or whatever it is) tag right below it to the Tribe Child one above. Tribe Child has no incapabilities. So you could also use it on other tribal pawns with similar incongruous backstories if you needed to.

But I think there may be a way to fix PaC! so the healers (and other backstories with the <workRequired> tag) won't generate with childhood backstories that cancel them out. Look for that in the next update. :)

Hope that helps!

dburgdorf

Quote from: Rimrue on July 07, 2017, 05:39:23 PMJust be aware that Editable Backstories will generate new backstories for all your pawns if you add it mid-game!

I should have thought to mention that myself. However, it actually only applies to the full version. The "lite" version, since it doesn't alter the default backstory database, can safely be added to games in progress.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Rimrue

Good point. Does the Lite version have the checks to prevent backstory incongruencies?

I usually play using the Lite version myself. Plus it has the extra Tribal backstories. :)

Spiders Everywhere

How does this interact with mods that let you directly order pawns to do work they're not assigned to, like Force Do Job?

lorebot

Quote from: Spiders Everywhere on July 07, 2017, 08:24:04 PM
How does this interact with mods that let you directly order pawns to do work they're not assigned to, like Force Do Job?

I'm pretty sure Pawns Are Capable would make Force Do Job irrelevant because with PAC there's no job a pawn can't be told to prioritize, though if they're flagged for work they don't like they'll take a mood penalty.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Rimrue on July 07, 2017, 06:02:04 PMDoes the Lite version [of "Editable Backstories"] have the checks to prevent backstory incongruencies?

Yep. Both versions use the same filtering code.

Quote from: Spiders Everywhere on July 07, 2017, 08:24:04 PMHow does this interact with mods that let you directly order pawns to do work they're not assigned to, like Force Do Job?

I haven't actually tried it, but if the mod does what I think it does (tell the pawn to do job X even if it's of a work type to which they're not actually assigned, such as telling someone not assigned to cooking to prepare a single meal), then it'll probably bypass the mood penalties. If you try it, let us know what you find out.  ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Rimrue

Just did some testing. Force Do Job causes no errors, however it also does not give pawns a negative mood for being forced to do a job they hate. Clearly that will need a patch in the next update. Lol Until then, enjoy being able to force pawns to do work without getting a negative mood from it. ;)

Rimrue

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 07, 2017, 09:40:55 PM
Quote from: Rimrue on July 07, 2017, 06:02:04 PMDoes the Lite version [of "Editable Backstories"] have the checks to prevent backstory incongruencies?

Ah, that would explain why I never have issues in my personal games. :)

Spiders Everywhere

Quote from: Rimrue on July 07, 2017, 09:57:42 PM
Just did some testing. Force Do Job causes no errors, however it also does not give pawns a negative mood for being forced to do a job they hate. Clearly that will need a patch in the next update. Lol Until then, enjoy being able to force pawns to do work without getting a negative mood from it. ;)

Hah, ok! I'll try not to exploit it too much  :P

lorebot

Quote from: Rimrue on July 07, 2017, 09:59:41 PM
Quote from: dburgdorf on July 07, 2017, 09:40:55 PM

Ah, that would explain why I never have issues in my personal games. :)

The joys of making mods while using mods :)