Spaceships?

Started by Quasarrgames, April 29, 2014, 04:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

I know this topic has been brought up before, and probably is never going to happen in the real game, but what about this:

What if it were a mod? Something like the early game prototype Starship Architect, but with textures that look more like the normal game, and other ships and crew that would belong to different factions?

Maybe it could be something like this:

when the massive passenger ship exploded, instead of using the escape pods, three daring crew members boarded the rescue shuttle and flew away just before the ship exploded. The interplanetary drive was damaged, but luckily there's some construction gear stowed away on the shuttle.

So basically you'd be orbiting Rimworld in a dinky shuttle with three crew and no way to get back to civilization... yet.

You could pilot the shuttle to other areas in rimworld's orbit, and engage with other ships on the way, and eventually get the means to travel back home.

there could be different enemies, friends, and events you would encounter in different areas. Say a pirate ship rams into you and tries to send raiders in spacesuits into your ship, or a trade ship drops into the system from warp and you get to choose between trading with them or trying to attack them and steal their interplanetary drive, or an angry space kraken tries to destroy your ship and eat your crew. Maybe you could even communicate with colonies on the surface, or drop some of your crew down on to the surface.

The game wouldn't be totally converted from the original rimworld. The building system would still be the same, and you could still build and use almost all of the buildings in the game (research table, comms console, solar panels, etc.). However your base would move, and would require energy to do so, and your characters couldn't really go outside it without a spacesuit.

What do you think? Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think it's a horrible idea? Do you think you want it so much that you'd be willing to teach me C# so i can make this a real mod? Please let me know!

CHEERS!

On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Quasarrgames

funny how nobody replies to my stuff anymore :.(
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Sion

This sounds like the game: FTL Faster Than Light http://www.ftlgame.com/
It also reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XL7zGBIB8M
But it is an interesting idea.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Darkfirephoenix

Don't be sad about it, I too get only a small amount of replies on my thread! ;)

Maybe include the Spaceship making to the "normal" gameplay aswell. Maybe if you have researched Spaceship-construction and collected Materials for it you could build it...

Hrmm that could result in different "stages" of the game: Colony and Space. And you could change between them if you want: Your colonist have done everything on their Crash-planet, build an escape Space-ship and then you travel, either back to civilization OR you could search for an new planet to colonise (maybe decide to only take the bare minimum with you [techs, materials etc.] but have contact to the base ship [but they won't be able to send you support all the time], crash land on the planet [hit by an asteroid], directly land on the planet [all techs you had researched avaible, and the ship as a base] etc)..... And the cycle begins anew...
My idea sounds a bit far stretched, doesn't it? :P

Necronomocoins

Sounds like a great idea, the crash landers could build the ship to the specifications they want, then if there are enough engines to the amount of blocks used, take off and land it anywhere with enough space for your ship on the original planet or find a new one, use the ship as a base, a "Starship Theory" style journey between planets and/or moons, etc. Could mean bringing oxygen back into Rimworld, I liked oxygen in Rimworld.

elliot9133

I think it's a great idea, however I think it may be slightly out of the scope of Rimworld. Remember the story line repeats how your colony is run by a bunch of average dudes, not some heroes piloting a spaceship across the galaxy. Plus as another mentioned, this kind of invades the space of FTL and other star travel games.

JimmyAgnt007

Its on the list of Frequent suggestions, if you want to suggest it as a mod then put it in the mod section.

RW space ships are stasis ships, stasis simulators arnt fun.