Abandoning your base/Life on the road

Started by Hiveminion, June 20, 2017, 06:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiveminion

I'm currently migrating my Rimworld colonists and their Luciferium addicted attack Thrumbo to the other side of the planet to escape using the friendly AI, torching down any Pirate camps I find on the way. You know, for fun.

However, when you leave your base behind, it still gets attacked from time to time by raiders which can slow down progress of the caravan as the triple speed-up function is disabled. So I decided to abandon my base completely. Unfortunately this caused the game to lag incredibly hard until I've generated another map again for an encounter or settlement. It seems the game can't really handle the caravan gameplay without a colony map. I don't know if it would be an easy fix but it would be nice if you can exist solely as a caravan without having to host an empty colony as well.

Limdood

once you leave your base, click the left behind base and hit "abandon base" and it'll disappear, vastly increasing world map speed.

milon

@Limdood, I think you missed this part:

Quote from: Hiveminion on June 20, 2017, 06:11:39 AM
...So I decided to abandon my base completely. Unfortunately this caused the game to lag incredibly hard until I've generated another map again for an encounter or settlement. It seems the game can't really handle the caravan gameplay without a colony map.

The issue isn't lag due to multiple colonies.  The issue is lag due to zero colonies.  Which actually, makes this a bug (IMO).  I'm moving this to the Bugs forum.

Panzer

Yeah I experienced the same, late game colony with 20 colonists, traveled to friendly ship AI. After abandoning the base the game starts to lag horribly at 3x speed, 2x and 1x are fine though.

ison

It's because the game speed is increased when you don't have any faction base. So there's much more happening during 1 frame and the game starts to lag, but your caravan is moving much faster.

Third speed with a colony is x6, third speed without any colony is x150.

Thanks for reporting anyway.