"Straight" male colonist attempted to woo another guy into a relationship.

Started by GreatDookuTree, June 20, 2017, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyriaelsoban

Open up the dev console and check the attractiveness weights, once you see that data it makes more sense when characters without the "gay" trait still hit on same sex pawns, i have seen it since i started playing in A13.
I've seen pawns prefer a same sex partner without the gay trait, even when there are women around with good weights on attractiveness and honestly, i think the romance system needs a rework anyway - alot of it is retarded.

Tynan

Please stay on-topic for the forum; this is a rule and moderators will enforce it. We'll also just delete off-topic posts. Put it in the OT forum!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Bozobub

Frankly, I don't think this behavior needs a fix.  Whether or not this was an intended result, in the end it mimics RL gender/sex relationships — especially in an enclosed, "pressure cooker" environment — reasonably well.  Just think of it as the sim having more granularity than is immediately apparent, as is often (if not usually) the case with sim games; it doesn't hurt that in this case, it's also directly true.

Hurrah for emergent effects ;D!
Thanks, belgord!

GreatDookuTree

Nobu got eaten by a cougar and Mars stopped flirting with half the colony now (not flirted in a year with anyone) as a result of his wife showing up once for about two minutes. I'm a little disappointed there's no way to make his wife even visit ever again let alone join the colony, yet that one visit caused Mars to permanently stop "exploring his sexuality" because I was curious how it was going to end (Technically it ended with "Nobu got eaten by a Cougar, but you know what I mean).

I've seen posts from previous versions where promiscuous colonists who had partners show up could end up having social fights with them or breakups because they'd keep flirting with other people, and expected either conflict between them, a break up, or for one to join the faction of the other. Nope, Mars remained at the colony when his wife left and didn't care to go with her or that she left and vice versa (which feels weird).

Quote from: Bozobub on June 23, 2017, 01:36:27 AM
Frankly, I don't think this behavior needs a fix.  Whether or not this was an intended result, in the end it mimics RL gender/sex relationships — especially in an enclosed, "pressure cooker" environment — reasonably well.  Just think of it as the sim having more granularity than is immediately apparent, as is often (if not usually) the case with sim games; it doesn't hurt that in this case, it's also directly true.

Hurrah for emergent effects ;D!

Yeah I wasn't calling for a fix or anything, I've just never noticed this before and was hoping people who know how the game works would contribute to the discussion (which they did) since it seemed odd that they'd ignore multiple female colonists completely and get "rebuffed by Nobu X4" almost 100% of the time.

I have the "wimp" trait forced 100% and at first I thought it might have caused the game to generate Mars with the "Gay" trait as a hidden "4th" trait due to something like trait forced by background perhaps).

Quote from: mumblemumble on June 23, 2017, 02:32:32 PM
I suppose : I wish there was discrimination against the 2 or 3 "transgender" pawns backgrounds

This thread is going places. Not good places, but it's heading somewhere.

milon

I deleted some off topic posts. Repeat off topic posters will have worse consequences in the future.

Now, back to the thread topic please.

GreatDookuTree

So I was thinking... I know I've seen colonists break up before but it was maybe 2-3 times in my hundreds of hours. Does anyone know of any ways to force it to happen (other than dev mode), like a sort of "un-marriage counselling"? I'm interested in following the behavior of Mars and seeing what he does now that Nobu is dead. Will he gravitate to another male colonist? Was that a one-time situation due to an incredibly high compatibility score or something, so he ends up chasing only women now? Will he flirt with everyone?

Sure I could just hope his wife turns up again ONE DAY and  cause an "accident", but I'd rather not piss off the faction as well as have mars deal with multiple debuffs due to how long those last.

Quote from: milon on June 24, 2017, 10:32:51 PM
I deleted some off topic posts. Repeat off topic posters will have worse consequences in the future.

Now, back to the thread topic please.
Thanks, it's been getting a bit ridiculous.

Bozobub

AFAIK, barring mods, the only way to try to end a relationship (without killing one or the other of the couple) is to simply make sure they never have a double bed to sleep in, and are assigned separate rooms.  I doubt the constant mood debuff for both is really worth it until the relationship finally ends, but that's the best I have for ya ^^' .

A separate colony would, of course, be even more effective.
Thanks, belgord!

makkenhoff

I don't really think gender is binary, nor is potential for romantic interest. I just think that as a society, we have come to enforce 'for the good of the tribe' laws that were written at a time and place where a single missed opportunity for birth would mean death of the entire tribe. At some point, people forgot the intent of the law and came to enforce it on its own for the sake of what was done previously. But, I think RimWorld has it right, accident or not - it should be flexible given the circumstances.

Just because the person sitting across the table from you is smart, pretty, great sense of humor, with a positive and rather optimistic outlook, and thus in a sense, perfect in the eyes of many; doesn't mean you will like them romantically, or even at all - sometimes they make you feel terrible with how amazing they are.

cultist

Quote from: makkenhoff on June 25, 2017, 01:36:51 AM
I don't really think gender is binary, nor is potential for romantic interest. I just think that as a society, we have come to enforce 'for the good of the tribe' laws that were written at a time and place where a single missed opportunity for birth would mean death of the entire tribe.

Well yes, that's the cultural explanation for why heterosexuality is the norm. There is also biology to consider, which is arguably a much stronger motivator than any human-defined reasons. In fact, biological (sex) motivation is probably the main reason we even have open gay relationships today, because it's only been culturally acceptable (and only in some places) for about 50-60 years now, but factual, historical records of homosexuality goes much, much further back.

So yeah, everything is "working as intended" in my opinion. The chance for straight pawns to hit on their own gender is very very low AFAIK but it can happen in real life. Some people don't even realize (or repress the fact) that they are gay until they one day find themselves in an environment where it's completely accepted, find the right person etc.

GreatDookuTree

Quote from: Bozobub on June 25, 2017, 12:08:10 AM
AFAIK, barring mods, the only way to try to end a relationship (without killing one or the other of the couple) is to simply make sure they never have a double bed to sleep in, and are assigned separate rooms.  I doubt the constant mood debuff for both is really worth it until the relationship finally ends, but that's the best I have for ya ^^' .

A separate colony would, of course, be even more effective.

Unfortunately the wife is a member of another faction, and I've only seen her that one time :/

GreatDookuTree

Update: It looks like Mars is flirting again (naturally he's once again after the guys) despite his wife being alive and well in another faction, so I guess that his wife showing up only prevented him from pursuing other colonists for a year or so instead of permanently so I guess there's no need to do anything about his wife after all.

Unfortunately his current target (Clay) is the fiance of the sister (Molly) of his previous target (Nobu) so I doubt he's gonna get anywhere.
Edit: Clay and Molly LITERALLY just broke up and it was Clay that broke up with Molly. This timing is ridiculously precise, God damn it Mars.

Panzer

What a story ;D

As far as I know the breakup chance is low, but is more likely to happen if the opinion of the partner drops. If they dont get much opportunity to talk to each other (working in close proximity, parties, social relaxation etc...) all the talk bonuses in social tab will disappear and you re left with only the lover bonus, you can drop that down further by doing stuff that lowers opinion, slaughtering tamed animals, butchering humans, selling prisoners, getting disfigured or punching the partner ;D

GreatDookuTree

Quote from: Panzer on June 26, 2017, 06:02:35 AM
What a story ;D

As far as I know the breakup chance is low, but is more likely to happen if the opinion of the partner drops. If they dont get much opportunity to talk to each other (working in close proximity, parties, social relaxation etc...) all the talk bonuses in social tab will disappear and you re left with only the lover bonus, you can drop that down further by doing stuff that lowers opinion, slaughtering tamed animals, butchering humans, selling prisoners, getting disfigured or punching the partner ;D

Molly and Clay spent most of each night banging like crazy so their opinions of each other were something like 80-100, and they always had several stacks of 'got some lovin' (when they broke up they still had the buff so it wasn't from lack of it) so their mood was always something like 40-70. Which is why I was so surprised to see it happen since I've only seen a few breakups in ~700 hours of game time and it's always been in colonies that were a seething cauldron of emotions.

Unfortunately the story possibly ends here, because 46 giant spider egg sacks (Rim of Madness: Arachnaphobia) arrived via cargo pods and I mistakenly assumed they would hatch as tame. WRONG! Also apparently the modder used the words "egg sacks" intentionally because it didn't hatch 46 giant spiders, it hatched hundreds. They're contained for now but the moment they get hungry they're gonna start digging through the rock. :/

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

b0rsuk

Quote from: cultist on June 25, 2017, 04:29:53 AM
So yeah, everything is "working as intended" in my opinion. The chance for straight pawns to hit on their own gender is very very low AFAIK but it can happen in real life. Some people don't even realize (or repress the fact) that they are gay until they one day find themselves in an environment where it's completely accepted, find the right person etc.

The movie "Brokeback Mountain" is basically about that.

I know a good article about friendship vs love, and how it's a dangerous, volatile mix. The article spends quite a bit of time elaborating how a friendship can sneakily turn into a homosexual relationship for people who really enjoy each other's company. That is, if they don't have inhibitions. Unfortunately, it's not in English.

mumblemumble

Funny - isn't that kinda an argument for the benefits of ""internalized homophobia""? That you can have good male friendships without having to worry as much about sexual influence? Granted, might push away some people, but its impossible to make everyone happy.

as for broke back mountain, I honestly wouldn't consider them "straight", but this brings up a great discussion of "what is straight, bi, homosexual, ect". I personally view it as they are what they DO, as doing also shapes what you will do in the future : its also good to note that the characters of BBM did not have internalized homophobia enough to prevent such a relationship : either way I would consider them bisexual at best, they obviously are not straight or they would not willingly be entering such a relationship with each other.

I can understand where someone might ask about homosexual FEELINGS, without actions (ie, in the "closet") but I honestly figure actions, or influencing factors in life would feed such impulses. Certainly "coming out" would not make the impulses less by any means. Feelings can come and go, actions are pretty concrete : though feelings are also caused by things, and hold a pretty firm influence ON our actions.

If I had to define it in game terms, I think chemical interest and teetotaler would be very good comparison : one is extremely open minded to (concept) and one is extremely closed minded to (concept). As applied to homosexuality I figure it could be similar, where one who was very accepting would have a higher likelihood to do it, more than a normal pawn, and a normal pawn would have more likelihood to do it than someone who was critical against it. This would allow for more strict straight characters, and for more potential division among pawns, which is always fun.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.