Caravan days of food doesn't calculate the non-grazing areas

Started by kuledude, August 05, 2017, 11:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuledude

If i have 30 days of food that never rots and send out a caravan with it that has animals that graze(muffalos..) the destination between the start and end won't calculate the non-graze areas and just automatically assume that every tile is a graze area at which point muffalos will start eating food that is meant for colonist thus increasing the days of food actually needed.

ison

You're right, but I can't think of any solution off the top of my head. We don't know the destination before forming the caravan so we're not aware of the tiles at this point.

skullywag

Can you not just do the opposite, have the player pick the start and end position, then the pawns/items and config etc.

If the player decides to change their mind after this screen then thats their fault, this in my opinion should be an excursion planning screen, not simply a make a caravan screen, a simple option of "no destination" could be the default which acts like it does now.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

NeverPire

I find the idea interesting because it would correct at the same time the current problem of choosing an exit direction without any possibility of seeing the map.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

skullywag

I think you can actually click the little flags in the bottom right and check the route distance, which will also allow you to see the map. I think they are still active on this screen. However my idea would solve that issue, if you simply picked starting cell and ending cell using the exact same UI that button provides but as part of the caravan (excursion) creation screens. New tab called "Route" or something??
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

NeverPire

I have just checked and you are right.

However, would it be possible (and simple) to reduce the size of the caravan formation screen when clicking on the third tab (configuration) to let the current hex and its surrounding appears ?
This tab is huge but contains only a few lines so it could be reduced without any loss of information.

To be forced to go to estimated time then press "esc" key to look it is neither really practical nor intuitive.

If it's easier to code, make the caravan screen slightly transparent would work too.

I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

ison

Hmm, the days of food problem is not trivial. Added to todo.