Great Rimworld Bakeoff

Started by SpectreGrimm, June 23, 2017, 05:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpectreGrimm

Ok.. so I decided to have a "just for relaxing" game... dev mode enabled, testing out colony setups etc... ANYWHO.. Toxic fallout happened, so I enclosed my colony under nice roofing, restricted people and animals to stay in the nicely covered colony. All was well, my farms were fine, enough food to last several seasons for both colonists and my seemingly ever growing warg army.

Not quite sure exactly what happened... but... Solar flare hits (dammit!!!) and suddenly my entire colony gets rapidly superheated... the temp outside was around 1c... the temp in the colony under my roof of toxic protection... OVER 300c ... there were tails being BURNED off of my poor pets, extreme burns and heatstroke on everyone... I was right up a certain brown liquid filled creek with no paddles and several dozen holes in the boat. I had put like 6 hours into my lovely little colony and REFUSED to let it die... I paused and spent 20 minutes or so dropping dev tool'd firefoam explosions on the plethora of instant ignition fires that popped up, I pulled out heat in each room to around -3c to +3c  as best I could, and then came the seeming never ending clicks in my fully roofed (thus 'inside' outside area) between all the rooms, trying to pull the temp down to the teens ... roughly 1 degree every 5-6 clicks from about 350c on down.

Long story short, i survived, yes through cheaty means but this is supposed to be my funsies save and after putting a lot of relaxing time into it... I couldn't lose it!! Thus my colony had a brush with part-baked doom... and I now fear for any future solar flares somehow causing another attempt to kill me with fire...

mumblemumble

how in tynans name did you hit 300 c? thats VERY hot

Did you have a BZZT event that you ignored? head builds up fast indoors.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

SpectreGrimm

I don't think i got a zzzzt as all my batteries were fine, but the most damaged thing around after I pulled the heat down to acceptable levels, was one of my nuclear reactors, so I dunno if might've been a cause for my sudden oven of doom. I was just so panicked trying to cool things down and not lose the lovely little base I'd created, that the exact cause of my trip to hades is unknown to me other than having toxic fallout, a fully roofed colony to deal with said fallout and that darned solar flare. Whatever happened, it had me freaking the eff out that I had somehow managed to make my colony into some sort of makeshift giant easy bake oven.

mumblemumble

yeah, I think reactors put off a LOT of heat IIRC, so you either want it outdoors (its a spaceship part so is rain proof) or with LOTS of ventalation....preferably the former

heat can build up to nasty levels till it causes a chain reaction of causing pawns to catch on fire and make more heat : As a lesson, use stone to insulate risky heat zones like fridges, reactors, or other crap. I've always used a "burn chamber" for removing trash and bodies, where I pile them up and then burn them : this was always in a stone room, with a stone wall, stone door, and while the chamber would get up to 2k Fahrenheit, it would never raise the interior more than 20 degrees for a short burst. This was also helped by the hallway being very long, but thats something to keep in mind.

Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Shurp

Nuclear reactors creating gobs of heat?  Damn, Rimworld is more realistic than I thought, nice!

Now we just need a "meltdown" event...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

dStreamline

I actually did some testing on this and funny enough, the ship reactors don't seem to provide heat whatsoever. Not even with a fully roofed, double walled steel enclosure. Seems like it would make a cool suggestion though.

+1 on the meltdown event as well, right now the ship reactor is a limitless source of free energy.
Would make for some nice balance. Maybe even create a toxic fallout event to go with it?
Hope is not a good plan...

mumblemumble

I'm very curious how this fire happened then, 300 c doesn't just come from nowhere.

Meltdown sounds interesting, except it would be a real kick in the colony jewels to have your ship blow apart randomly...

-----

jamaicancastle

Ship reactors don't generate heat, but geothermal generators do - a lot of it.

I had a geothermal generator outside my colony once, so I walled in exactly around the generator and left a door in case it needed maintenance, all unroofed. Whenever the geyser puffed, the temperature in there hit 3-400 easy. (It faded almost instantly of course because it was unroofed.)

SpectreGrimm

I have advanced nuclear, geo, solar and wind gennys, wasn't using the ship nuclear generator. And I know the Geotherm makes heat, I always put those in their own room, and it never gets up past about 90c and even that's rare as heck. I've never noticed any heat coming from the nuclear reactors in all the time I've used them... so honestly don't know what happened besides some strange string of things combined seemed to want me dead, I think I'll try to recreate all circumstances as best I can, see if I can replicate

SpectreGrimm

Turns out, my autosaves had a save during my disaster just after the solar flare had ended. It is during my rapid clicking forever phase after having exploded a bajillion canisters of foam to take out fires and heal spamming all my people and animals... it even shows that I threw out a cold snap in my panic to try rapid cool xD Anyway I have 2 screenies from it, one with cursor outside my base to the bottom left showing the actual outside temp... and one inside my base... showing the pain I was going through lol.

Mkok

There seems to be your problem. You have anti-solar flare shield from that one mod, dont you?  ;)

SpectreGrimm

Quote from: Mkok on June 24, 2017, 10:00:13 AM
There seems to be your problem. You have anti-solar flare shield from that one mod, dont you?  ;)
I do, as solar flare is my most hated event. Are you saying that the shield somehow caused the sudden heat bloom? It's never done so before... though I guess it might be the reason, coupled with the fallout and my fully roofed over colony

Mkok

Quote from: SpectreGrimm on June 24, 2017, 01:49:37 PM
I do, as solar flare is my most hated event. Are you saying that the shield somehow caused the sudden heat bloom? It's never done so before... though I guess it might be the reason, coupled with the fallout and my fully roofed over colony

Yep, it generates a large amount of heat when solar flare hits.

SpectreGrimm

Quote from: Mkok on June 25, 2017, 04:55:13 AM
Quote from: SpectreGrimm on June 24, 2017, 01:49:37 PM
Yep, it generates a large amount of heat when solar flare hits.
Ahhh I see, never had that issue before, not had toxic fallout like that for a long time and usually my colony is more open than just one entrance and surrounded by mountain lol.