Mod-ability Suggestions

Started by zelldot, April 30, 2014, 09:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelldot

I would like to start a suggestion thread for the modding of rimworld, this is not for suggesting a mod, but suggesting access to certain things that would help in the modding process.

To keep things clear, I would like suggestions purely for XML, not including the ability to DLL, I am thinking more along the lines of easy of access more for the noobie modders.

These are few of my suggestions of the top of my head to get things started (will add more im sure):
- Make the title screen image editable.
- Access to meat thingDef.
- <ignoreNeedsMeal> is needed for food work bench's.
- Use Glower without electric need, only create glow when electric is needed for electric items.
- Research requirement for plants, only grow certain plants after a certain research.

Some things can DLL'ed into the game, but remember this is purely for the XML side. Some of things which can be DLL'ed:
- Use Glower without electric need.

If you are a modder and like to add more to the list please leave a message below, I will be updating this with the what I think are good suggestions to keep things nice and clear for Tynan to stumble across.

WorldOfIllusion

you can already make a Glower without electricity need through DLL modding. Just add a CompGlower without adding a CompPowerTrader, and then make a custom class that controls whether CompGlower.Lit is true/false based on your conditions for it being lit or not.
Artistically challenged modder seeking artistically talented texturer's help. Please, please, PM me :)

Architect

meat defs are currently created in the code when the game starts, so I dunno about that one, and WorldOfIllusion is right about the lighting without electricity :)
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

zelldot

I think I might change the description at the top to xml modding, I know you can add almost what ever you want with dll, I code quite commonly. I was thinking more along the lines of the easier side for noobie modders. I might have came across a bit to expert in my lingo, but what I am look for more is ease of access. Does that make sense?... half asleep when wrote...

Coenmcj

What about the ability to alter Pawn or Mob characteristics.
such as speed, size/the amount of cells that they take up

(Since I havn't seen any mods that do so... the ability to create pawns?) Nevermind on the last bit, I just saw some mods that are attempting it. but the rest is fair game?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

zelldot

Quote from: Coenmcj on May 01, 2014, 08:21:09 PM
What about the ability to alter Pawn or Mob characteristics.
such as speed, size/the amount of cells that they take up

(Since I havn't seen any mods that do so... the ability to create pawns?) Nevermind on the last bit, I just saw some mods that are attempting it. but the rest is fair game?
Im currently looking into that one myself for Unknown World, I have already done some basic changes, but not much into that yet.

Kirid

These are some building def suggestions from awhile back, some are in the works or possible now.

Self-Linking true or false.
Instead of defining what a building links to, it just scans and only links to other buildings like it.
We currently have to rely on the few linktags that are hardcoded into the game, I think this would be an easy enough work-around for an infinite number of linking objects.

Define if research or sleep can be done at a building. Right now the job drivers/givers for research and sleep are hardcoded to directly refer to the Building_Bed or Building_ResearchBench.

Hides Head. You can define an object to hide the body of a pawn so they look like they are in bed, I'd like to be able to hide the head also.

You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd