ITT: Natural Selection

Started by SubZeroBricks, June 24, 2017, 03:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SubZeroBricks

I'll start with Freckles, a new recruit whose eagerness to use his 7 construction got the better of him.

"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

Shurp

At least he didn't drop a roof on his head
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Names are for the Weak

Why didn't you just deconstruct your way out of him being trapped? This happens to me all the time, and it's a simple solution.

Canute

He is just an constructor, YOU are the architect.
You need to plan better so he can construct better ! :-)

SubZeroBricks

Quote from: Canute on June 24, 2017, 05:20:35 PM
He is just an constructor, YOU are the architect.
You need to plan better so he can construct better ! :-)

I also control the speed settings so perhaps if I let the game run for a few million years colonists with traits that make them more suited to building non self entrapping walls will evolve :P
"The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you are on fire."

dreamzinc

For everybody that thinks this is a serious post and thinks he's actually gonna let his colonist die.

GreatDookuTree

Cases in my colonies:

- Going berserk and deciding to vent that anger by punching a wandering cougar/rhino/elephant
- A colonist with chemical interest and bad back + frail (maybe more) spent most of their time incapacitated due to passing out immediately from a single joint, and due to the trait I couldn't stop them without affecting everyone. Half the time they'd wake up in the hospital and IMMEDIATELY GET STONED AGAIN AND PASS OUT!
- Pacifists going berserk and punching my 20 melee brawlers with scyther claws.
- Released prisoners who somehow path onto active deadfall traps despite there being a clear path through them.
- The prisoner in the picture, who decided that a jailbreak before my minigunner had his coffee would be smart.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

jamaicancastle

Quote from: GreatDookuTree on June 24, 2017, 11:09:06 PM- The prisoner in the picture, who decided that a jailbreak before my minigunner had his coffee would be smart.

I give him a little credit for waiting for the rhinoceroses to be asleep. D:

makkenhoff

When my colonist picks up 13 pieces of wood, carries them half way across the map to finish the butcher table, in theory to chop up some critters for dinner, when a full stack of prepared survival meals sat right beside it.

GreatDookuTree

Quote from: jamaicancastle on June 25, 2017, 01:39:46 AM
Quote from: GreatDookuTree on June 24, 2017, 11:09:06 PM- The prisoner in the picture, who decided that a jailbreak before my minigunner had his coffee would be smart.

I give him a little credit for waiting for the rhinoceroses to be asleep. D:

I'm going to put some maths (probably flawed maths which is mostly guesswork though aha) that should give an idea of how far the prisoner could get and STILL get taken out by the rhino when it wakes up an hour or two later.

- The prisoner has two peg legs, 1 lung, and restraints. It's too late to check his speed now but since two peg legs put you at probably 60% speed (~2.77 c/s) and I think breathing has a decent impact on movement in A17 so you can probably assume that combined with his clothing (is that a parka?) he's probably around 2.20 c/s or less. Modify that by whatever "restrained" reduces move speed by and you have the prisoner's speed.

- Voyager the rhino has been upgraded with bionics (mod is A Dog Said) and has a movement speed of 9.04 c/s (base of 3.80 c/s). I've released him on a large tribal raid when it fled, and he was able to reach every single person.

"Voyager" could sleep in until the afternoon and still be able to catch up, like a ravenous grey missile of hate.

Also here's that released prisoner who can't path to save his life.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

RemingtonRyder

It might be possible to fix this with a mod, but as the others have said, better planning is the quicker solution.

Basically, any time that you place down walls against other walls or rock, there's a chance for the colonist to become trapped if there could be an unbuilt space in between newly built walls.

Corners: If you're building walls against a section of wall which has an inward-pointing corner, leave a gap adjacent to the corner.

Tight spaces:  If you're aiming to fill in an area with walls, build 1-thickness sections of wall. The aim here is to fill the area furthest away from the place where the colonist needs to exit the build site, until the area is almost completely filled, then you can cap it off and it's done.

Bozobub

We all know this, Marvin, or at least most of us do.  This thread is just commiseration and jokes at the expense of idiot pawns ;D.
Thanks, belgord!

GreatDookuTree

Quote from: MarvinKosh on June 25, 2017, 03:01:36 PM
It might be possible to fix this with a mod, but as the others have said, better planning is the quicker solution.

Basically, any time that you place down walls against other walls or rock, there's a chance for the colonist to become trapped if there could be an unbuilt space in between newly built walls.

Corners: If you're building walls against a section of wall which has an inward-pointing corner, leave a gap adjacent to the corner.

Tight spaces:  If you're aiming to fill in an area with walls, build 1-thickness sections of wall. The aim here is to fill the area furthest away from the place where the colonist needs to exit the build site, until the area is almost completely filled, then you can cap it off and it's done.

Quote from: dreamzinc on June 24, 2017, 07:29:47 PM
For everybody that thinks this is a serious post and thinks he's actually gonna let his colonist die.

Shurp

He *should* let the pawn die, just out of spite :-P

That would make for an interesting mod: colonists are instakilled if they can't path out of a box they find themselves in.  "Freckles just died: terminal stupidity"
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Ramsis

I'm actually depressed, I thought this thread was about the game when I saw the title :(

Gorge time? Not today :(
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~