[A17] CARNIVÀLE — now less dumb than Psychic Soothe! [alpha available]

Started by Xnope, June 24, 2017, 09:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xnope

Quote from: Soupy Delicious on July 21, 2017, 11:57:07 PM
Gotta make that point about commonality of carnivals happening, though. To make this mod fit in seamlessly with the vanilla experience you're going to have to work hard to make sure it doesn't make you feel like your colony is the centre of the universe, or make it feel like there are millions of carnivals scouring the planet. Either one of those have the same effect, and take you out of it.

Feel you completely on that. That is definitely the goal for release. However as I mentioned above, I'm making it relatively common right now so it actually happens for testers. Testing with devmode shortcuts is one thing, and I've done that on my own thousands of times, but it's a completely other thing to test it happening organically, and it's harder for me to do on my own. But yeah, for release I was thinking of a mean time between occurrences being around a year. It could happen earlier, it could happen later, and different factors dynamically change this average chance.

In the meantime, I need to focus on implementing the main event tent functions.

However, I'll hit you guys with an UPDATE (v0.0.7). It's got some necessary bug fixes and rebalances, and once again improves dynamic placement calculation. Find in OP.

Oh and it is now packaged with XnopeCore (I'll be doing this from now on), so make sure to delete your existing XnopeCore folder.
My W.I.P. mods:
Carnivale: GitHub | Forum Post
XnopeCore: GitHub

Soupy Delicious

Awesome.  Definitely sounds like you know what you're doing ;P

I'll be using this mod when you release it. Thanks

alsoandanswer

Bug :

So when the carnival was in town, hooray! Finally, I can see what this mod can do

until a mad caribou chased them ALL AWAY.

So I decided to reload and pick up from an autosave.

But for some reason, when they enter the map, all the people immediately leave, even though it's on an autosave BEFORE the caribou attack.

Also, the muffalo are still there, waiting for their masters to finally unload them
(not gonna happen, though.)

"If I quote some smart guy, then therefore I should be smart myself!" -alsoandanswer

PixelBitZombie

Damn I'm sorry bud, your last build I burnt myself out on rimworld and got sick afterwards. Still sick actually but way better. Gonna see if a new version is up and rock it out.
"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head"

Xnope

Quote from: alsoandanswer on August 12, 2017, 01:10:05 PM
Bug :

So when the carnival was in town, hooray! Finally, I can see what this mod can do

until a mad caribou chased them ALL AWAY.

So I decided to reload and pick up from an autosave.

But for some reason, when they enter the map, all the people immediately leave, even though it's on an autosave BEFORE the caribou attack.

Also, the muffalo are still there, waiting for their masters to finally unload them
(not gonna happen, though.)

Sorry guys, yeah I'm aware of that bug where they just leave immediately and how they leave after any violent thing happens (I've since fixed it, but haven't uploaded a release yet). Right now I'm working toward implementing shows that give attending colonists large, lasting mood boosts. I'll probably upload an update by tonight. There are a ton of improvements and bugfixes since the last alpha release.

Worth mentioning that I've been working on my own video game recently and have been quite inactive in the modding scene, but I'm trying to balance that with this project so that this gets finished. Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully with the help of you wonderful folks, this thing will be bug-free for release. There are so many moving parts, it's quite a challenge.
My W.I.P. mods:

PixelBitZombie

So I caught this while streaming. Wasn't really sure what happened to be honest, they were closer to base but used part of my home as installation.  Few minutes after that the game ran into a saving problem, wouldn't save because memory yada yada, so I had to quit and reload a save 11 minutes back. The second time they carni comes in they setup at the bottom of the screen again and packed up what seemed like a full day. I need to rewatch that part but motherfuck.. too many things happening in the colony I couldn't be bothered to even try the carni yet.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/167392646

Edit: I've since had 2 more Carnivales, each had issues.
Each time a Carnivale ENTERS my map, each causes a save issue which is related to memory. Meaning you can't save anymore because of memory. The other issue is more or less like russian roulette, after the save issue, close and reload Rimworld and carni comes back but freezes Rimworld when they arrive in the map. I'm unsure if I can remove carni right now, I don't know if it would affect my save.

It takes like 14 or so minutes for the game to load.

Xnope

I'm so sorry. Try duplicating your save and removing it, I don't think anything will fuck up, but then again I fucked up your game already so take me at face value. I haven't touched v0.0.7 in a while, what's on GitHub is roughly 30 commits ahead.

Anyway. For those who want to try a stabler version, I'm uploading v0.0.8. As per PixelBitZombie's experience above, back up your saves.

The issue where they are erratic where they set up and have too big a setup radius has been resolved, among many others. There are now shows, which your colonists will automatically attend if they paid entrance and have nothing else they were ordered to do. Attending shows gives stacking mood buffs, which last 10 days, after which a small debuff happens (-3) for 5 days (this is for balance).

Edit: About the memory issue, that is likely from having too many mods. It's no specific mod's fault, but my cell calculation and pawn spawning (especially the ones in 0.0.7) is heavier than the default raid calculation, so that would lead to a memory issue if you have a lot of mods running. Again, sorry man. If you have the urge to, try 0.0.8, but I don't blame you if you take out this mod and maybe wait for release.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
My W.I.P. mods:

The-Eroks

Not sure when you changed the title of your thread, but as a fellow modder... I completely understand  ;)

This mod is looking great by the way

PixelBitZombie

Quote from: Xnope on August 16, 2017, 06:54:31 PM
I'm so sorry. Try duplicating your save and removing it, I don't think anything will fuck up, but then again I fucked up your game already so take me at face value. I haven't touched v0.0.7 in a while, what's on GitHub is roughly 30 commits ahead.

That is fine, to be honest I've never beat Rimworld because a mod or certain mods mess up the game. To be fair the most enjoyable part of Rimworld is Raids and Building mixed with some Surgery to remove things.
The only reason I tried to remove it was because I didn't want to mess with the Save Memory stuff happening which would lead me to closing the game and reloading a save from 7-12 minutes ago. At least when the carni's arrive anyway.

Quote from: Xnope on August 16, 2017, 06:54:31 PM
Edit: About the memory issue, that is likely from having too many mods. It's no specific mod's fault, but my cell calculation and pawn spawning (especially the ones in 0.0.7) is heavier than the default raid calculation, so that would lead to a memory issue if you have a lot of mods running. Again, sorry man. If you have the urge to, try 0.0.8, but I don't blame you if you take out this mod and maybe wait for release.

This makes sense and umm.. I have 136 mods ahem..
I know I know, but it all works together and most are just quality of life mods to make Rimworld better.

But I was not able to remove it, weather that was because they were coming and the game didn't want to remove the mod or its just one of those mods where you can't remove it. So I had to add it back and umm.. something interesting happened.
I don't have any screens or video but they were packing up for the night and a cougar attacked one of their muffalo. At this point we had a few of the carni's in my base, apparently one of the carni's went psycho, had a mental break from the cougar attack and started lighting my ignitable stuff on fire burning a portion of the stuff before I noticed. "Fire is very common since I use an electric fence, animals get caught in it, die and burn." So when I noticed, I sent for someone to arrest her which did not go over very well at all and caused the entire carni faction to retaliate. Needless to say that faction died/got captured.

Thought I'd mention the cougar attack causing one of the carni's to go have a mental break.

Ps. Some mods don't mind but yours might be different, when installing newer versions of Carnivale, would it be appropriate to delete the folder and start fresh or just overwrite files?

Xnope

I just tested removing the mod while they are on their way, and yeah I see what errors you were getting. I really need to add in that nuke mod setting, that would fix it. I already wrote the function that does it but now I need to go learn how to use HugsLib settings. It will definitely be in v0.0.9.

Edit: So yeah apparently since some old change I made with factions an ambiguous amount of time ago, you will get errors when removing the mod regardless if they are on their way or not. This necessitates a nuke function. Should have been my #1 priority a while ago :O

I just tried updating from 0.0.7 to 0.0.8, even when they were already on their way, and it was fine. They still showed up, and when they did the new calculations from 0.0.8 were used. So that's some good news. I tried updating while they were actually in town (hopefully nobody thinks of doing this, but I thought I should check), with limited success. Everything still worked fine, but if in dev mode you'd notice a wall of errors related to tent doors. I'm working to fix these, for performance's sake.

Edit 2: Here is v0.0.9. The only difference is it has the nuke mod setting. I tested it and it works for uninstalling. Use it, deactivate the mod, then load the new generated save file with the '_Nuked' appendix. Only skip the deactivate part if you're just trying to fix a broken thing, otherwise it makes the nuke pointless.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
My W.I.P. mods: