Re-taming animals

Started by J_Dawg_27, June 25, 2017, 02:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Dawg_27

Has anyone had problems re-taming an animal that you have sold off to another faction and then it wanders back in to your colony.

I have a level 20 handler who is working on other animals but when I attempt to force an interaction with this familiar animal, it ignores the request and goes back to the pawn's normal priorities.

jamaicancastle

If it belongs to another faction, you won't be able to tame it. Assuming you sold it to a trade caravan, it should leave the map with the rest of the caravan. (If you sold it to an orbital ship, it should get shot straight up to the ship; if it's not doing that, I'd look at your mods and see if any of them are acting up.)

J_Dawg_27

You're thinking too short term.

What I was trying to describe is when you sell an animal to another faction whether it be to an orbital trader, a visiting caravan or you lead them to another settlement.  Many times the animal will wander back as a wild animal if it escapes or they release it or whatever you want to imagine the backstory is.

I have a timberwolf that has wandered back onto my map,  I can choose to hunt or tame it but it won't respond to the taming command.

Nainara

I've seen this happen in earlier alphas, in colonies that last a long time. This might be a bug of some sort, since the game really shouldn't let you apply the tame tag/command on animals in blue (owned by another faction)

Hiveminion

He means if the animal returns on the map as a wild animal, no longer owned by the faction he sold it to. In that case, you should be able to retame it, so I'd say it's an unintended bug.

Only time I noticed an old pet returning was when a dog I'd sold returned as part of a pack of tame dogs who joined my colony. Unfortunately this particular dog was sold because it had lost the better part of its limbs and was essentially just a waste of food. But considering the whole Homeward Bound vibe I couldn't bring myself to eat the dog.