Suggestion about how to implement tanks in RimWorld.

Started by Sion, May 01, 2014, 07:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sion

Not sure if I should post this in: Mods, Suggestions or General Discussion.

Would it be possible to create tanks to RimWorld?
I'm thinking that it would be possible to recycle some functions from player code, because they actually have similar functionality.

A tank basically consists of a body and a turret, and a colonist consists of a body and a gun, both the turret and the gun can be rotated while the body remains stationary.

The path finding wouldn't need to be much more complicated than for the other living beings in RimWorld, lets say that you have a tank with the size of 3*5 tiles, you could either simulate 1 colonist in the middle, and look for a path that always are more than 3 tiles wide,
Or simulate 4 colonists, one in each corner, and have them path finding in a 3*5 square formation.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Nasikabatrachus

I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall Tynan calling the challenge of making multi-tile vehicles that can rotate a "nightmare". Unless something happens to change that, we probably won't get anything like tanks.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on May 01, 2014, 04:39:33 PM
I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall Tynan calling the challenge of making multi-tile vehicles that can rotate a "nightmare". Unless something happens to change that, we probably won't get anything like tanks.

So...something that's 1x1 is okay? How about...weaponized segways?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here