Taming by doctoring at A17

Started by Canute, June 25, 2017, 09:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Does anyone could take any animal so far while the doctor tend the wounds ?

GreatDookuTree

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
--------------

On a more serious note, I assume you're asking if doctors still can bond with an injured wild animal, which causes it to become tamed? Yes it still works fine in a17, as far as I know nothing has changed about it.

Gonumen

Yes and no. It depends, really.

Nainara

Quote from: Gonumen on June 25, 2017, 10:27:43 AM
Yes and no. It depends, really.
But, only when the circumstances dictate so.

eadras

The bonding while tending event seems to occur much less frequently in A17, compared to past versions.

Canute

"less frequently" does that mean you got a bond at this way so far, or do you still trying and don't got one so far ?
Does anyone got a succesful bond while tending an animal with A17 so far ?

eadras

Quote from: Canute on June 25, 2017, 03:22:28 PM
"less frequently" does that mean you got a bond at this way so far, or do you still trying and don't got one so far ?

I have a colony that is 6 years old, with over 50 animals which I use in combat frequently.  Thousands of wounds have been tended, and I've only seen a doctor bond with an animal once.  I haven't rescued many wild animals - just a half dozen manhunter grizzly bears, which did not bond while they were tended.

Bozobub

To be fair, I *never* had this happen to me even once in A16.
Thanks, belgord!

eadras

Quote from: Bozobub on June 25, 2017, 03:49:17 PM
To be fair, I *never* had this happen to me even once in A16.
I didn't play a lot in A16, but in previous builds, it was a very frequent (and unwanted) occurrence.  Having your doctor bonded to all of your combat animals (also known as cannon fodder) was not desirable.  This used to be one of the common ways to tame animals though - just down them and then rescue them, and they would very frequently bond to the doctor.  Not anymore - for which I'm grateful.

Canute

Yep, it was a "faster" way to get tamed thrumbo's in the past then to tame them.

Hans Lemurson

Have one person doing target practice on the downed creature while your armored doctor patches up the wounds.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

8roads

Quote from: Canute on June 25, 2017, 09:20:40 AM
Does anyone could take any animal so far while the doctor tend the wounds ?

Yes, once. I was using machine pistol.

it was an elephant

GreatDookuTree

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on June 25, 2017, 08:12:41 PM
Have one person doing target practice on the downed creature while your armored doctor patches up the wounds.

But if you do this then WATCH the individual part health. Even a thrumbo can die to "death of a thousand cuts" if the rng causes a vital part to get hit enough :( Doesn't help that a thrumbo ends up with like 2-3 pages of injuries to scroll through though.

TheMeInTeam

IIRC Mehni said it's a .5% chance per tend.  So, *on average* you'd need to tend 200 wounds to get 1 taming from it, but with such small odds you can see some significant swings in #attempts before getting one.

Needless to say, this is a better method for training doctors than it is for taming animals.

Toast

Quote from: Canute on June 25, 2017, 03:22:28 PM

Yes. But only when I didn't want it.  >:(

Stupid self-tamed ostrich got shot in the tail feathers while we were caravaning to the next town over to sell it. I had the doctor patch her up so she would sell for full value. "Dumbass Pawn has bonded with Ostrich 1. He has named her Trololol." We sold her anyway and he sulked for like a month. Finally one day she showed up wild on the map, as sold animals sometimes do, so I thought jfc, fine, you win, you get a pet ostrich. Sent my level 20 animal tamer out to tame her and... well, ostriches are REALLY hard to tame. She has a better chance of going manhunter than of being tamed again.

Taming by doctoring is the devil's work.