Do fertilized eggs from cargo pods spawn as tame or wild?

Started by GreatDookuTree, June 26, 2017, 02:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatDookuTree

I don't remember the last time I ever got fertilized eggs from cargo pods (always seem to get unfertilized). I can not stress how important it is that I know BEFORE 46 giant spider egg sacks hatch in my colony (Rim of Madness: Arachnaphobia). These things are the size of muffalo and my scenario has "Wimp" forced at 100% frequency so if they'll be hostile then this will be the stuff of nightmares.

Sure I could just leave them outside of the colony but they'll probably reproduce and be a worse version of an infestation that also roams around and sets web traps :/

Bozobub

Sounds like those spiders, IF friendly, could be the saviors of your colony.  Good luck, I guess ^^' .
Thanks, belgord!

GreatDookuTree

Quote from: Bozobub on June 26, 2017, 03:05:01 AM
Sounds like those spiders, IF friendly, could be the saviors of your colony.  Good luck, I guess ^^' .
Hang on what if the modder intentionally labelled them "egg sacks" instead of just "eggs" because they actually hatch multiple spiders each, but forgot to set a really low cap on the number dropped by cargo pods? Oh boy...

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

GreatDookuTree

OH CRAP OH CRAP OH CRAP OH CRAP OH CRAP! THEY'RE NOT FRIENDLY AND I WAS RIGHT ABOUT EACH SACK BEING MULTIPLE SPIDERS!

Oh the lag.

Ahem so this colony of wimps has managed to last 5 years. RIP colony.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Canute

If they don't learn to "dig" they my starve and your colony may survive. Just pray no infestion appear near them.

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!

Chibiabos

It used to be that all externally acquired fertilized eggs (not produced/fertilized on-map -- I've never had any from crashed ship but would buy from space traders) would spawn untame animals (this was a bit devastating as I bought a lot of fertilized chicken eggs, then suddenly had a lot of untame chicks locked in a storage room with no food).  I reported this as a bug long ago and I think it was resolved, but not 100% sure as I don't often encounter this (bought some fertilized eggs recently, but unfortunately my colony dogs ate them before they hatched :/).
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

GreatDookuTree

Quote from: Chibiabos on June 26, 2017, 04:49:10 AM
It used to be that all externally acquired fertilized eggs (not produced/fertilized on-map -- I've never had any from crashed ship but would buy from space traders) would spawn untame animals (this was a bit devastating as I bought a lot of fertilized chicken eggs, then suddenly had a lot of untame chicks locked in a storage room with no food).  I reported this as a bug long ago and I think it was resolved, but not 100% sure as I don't often encounter this (bought some fertilized eggs recently, but unfortunately my colony dogs ate them before they hatched :/).
Yeah purchased eggs are now always tame fortunately. The first time I purchased eggs from traders I was a little worried since it was 60 or so cobra eggs and I didn't know if they would be tame or not.

@Canute: I guess that's technically a possibility since they're a modded creature and I don't know if the "digging" is a global script or something, or if it's added to each creature in some way. As for the infestation, all that would do is provide the spiders with a renewing source of food lol

khearn

I realize that it's a bit late now, but you should have put the eggs in a stone room with some furnature and an incendiary IED trap. If they hatched tame, no problem. If hostile, FWOOSH!

mumblemumble

At least your death will be noble : its better to die valiantly to spiders than hilariously to chickens.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

GreatDookuTree

Quote from: khearn on June 26, 2017, 03:37:04 PM
I realize that it's a bit late now, but you should have put the eggs in a stone room with some furnature and an incendiary IED trap. If they hatched tame, no problem. If hostile, FWOOSH!

Unfortunately I didn't have IED researched, but the screenshot was taken seconds before I exited to desktop (I just wasn't even going to attempt to handle that crap right away) so theoretically it's salvageable if I can work around the incredible lag. Although I'm playing on Permadeath so I'd only get the one attempt.

Quote from: mumblemumble on June 26, 2017, 03:53:32 PM
At least your death will be noble : its better to die valiantly to spiders than hilariously to chickens.

That happened to me back in A16, they got into my food stockpile while I was dealing with a psychic ship and the first sign that something was wrong was when people started getting downed for no visible reason (I had several prisoners and someone in medical treatment but like one warden, so "starvation" was frequently displayed which meant it wasn't automatically a "oh shit" flag.). After everyone was downed a raid happened and they kidnapped several people while the rest starved to death, it was a really dumb colony death.