Technology requirements and the base game

Started by megrim, June 27, 2017, 03:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

megrim

Hello. I have a suggestion for the developers.

1) Can you make it possible for modders to change the core items in the game to require a certain technology to be unlocked?
2) Consider allowing a society that researches all technologies in their current level to be promoted a technology level? That way, if you start on neolithic and work hard, you can promote to the next leves

jamaicancastle

Mods can totally add tech requirements for core items, either by the old overwriting method or by the new patching one.

As for the tech level idea, I personally wouldn't like that. I'd rather you choose which techs to research based on your preferences and the needs of your colony, not just because you have to catch 'em all.

Aerial

It would be nice if the research/technology system was a little more complex.  For instance, my tribe has a major penalty to research speed because of its neolithic origin.  No problem!  But then I take in a crash pod survivor who was the chief engineer for some spacefaring organization who has a high intellectual skill.  But they still can't research any faster even though they already understand electricity, etc.

Alternately, my colony of crashlanded survivors is researching technologies for building their ship and the researcher dies.  But no matter!  Ox, the tribal they captured and converted yesterday has a reasonable intellectual skill so they can put him right on that fusion reactor research.

I think research speed should be *by pawn* not by colony type, with modifies for what kind of society they're embedded in (tribal adopted into an advanced colony vs spacefarer adopted by tribals, etc) and their own skill.

Limdood

Quote from: Aerial on June 27, 2017, 12:42:08 PM
It would be nice if the research/technology system was a little more complex.  For instance, my tribe has a major penalty to research speed because of its neolithic origin.  No problem!  But then I take in a crash pod survivor who was the chief engineer for some spacefaring organization who has a high intellectual skill.  But they still can't research any faster even though they already understand electricity, etc.
Well, the culture and tools available certainly have some effect.  There are plenty of progressive technologies in our current society that people reject or require HUGE investments of additional research before they're accepted (*cough* GMOs *cough* vaccines *cough*).  Its not a stretch to assume that there are cultural barriers either to the acceptance of technology or the implementation of research practices or tools.

QuoteAlternately, my colony of crashlanded survivors is researching technologies for building their ship and the researcher dies.  But no matter!  Ox, the tribal they captured and converted yesterday has a reasonable intellectual skill so they can put him right on that fusion reactor research.

I think research speed should be *by pawn* not by colony type, with modifies for what kind of society they're embedded in (tribal adopted into an advanced colony vs spacefarer adopted by tribals, etc) and their own skill.
For gameplay reasons, i'd strongly oppose making research speed "by pawn" - as it would make the intellectual skill completely useless on any but glitterworld pawns, since even a skill 2 researcher from a glitterworld planet would be WAY WAY faster than a skill 18 medieval lord.  I don't know about you, but i'd rather see Galileo doing my research than Joe Smith, the investment banker.

Caveat - I wouldn't mind seeing the game trend more towards backgrounds and FURTHER away from skills, thus ACTUALLY giving those backgrounds much much more weight and meaning in the game.  You have a farmer, a glitterworld surgeon and a soldier?  that should be a way different playthrough than having a circus lion tamer, an urbworld mechanic, and a medieval lord, REGARDLESS of the skills.  If that were to come to pass, I'd be much more in favor of basing research on the pawn...even to the extent of having research difficulty work backwards too - that glitterworld surgeon might research (or even straight up grant you) hospital beds really fast, but stonecutting is gonna be a bitch to research for him.