Should I wait

Started by BladeOfSharpness, June 29, 2017, 07:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BladeOfSharpness

I have played a lot Rimworld recently. And I'm undecided. Should I wait A18, thus keeping my interest fresh or should I dive again, with the risk of being slightly burned.
And this lead to the implied question. If A18 is not before September or later, I'll probably resume playing with A17. If there is some chance it is before, then I'll wait.
So you old timers and veterans, what is your guess feeling?

dburgdorf

I'm hardly a "veteran," but I'm legitimately confused about what you're asking here.

Are you asking if you should just take a break from the game for a while to avoid getting "burned out" on it? If so, well, no one else can really answer that for you.

Or are you asking if you should "skip" the a17 version of the game? If so, perhaps you could clarify why you think you might want to. Is there something specific about a17 that you don't think you'll like?

As regards a18, well, given that it was a six month wait from a16 to a17, and that a18 is apparently going to be a larger update than a17, I'd be very surprised if a18 was ready by September.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

PotatoeTater

Personally, I find myself worn out of all games at times. I'll just go to play a single story based game all the way through then come back. It always helps me renew my gaming spirit. Plus, with this Alpha you can do a lot more in the world, so it's worthwhile to travel.
Life is Strange

Listen1

I played almost 70 hour in A17, playing 2 vanilla games and a gigantic modded one. In the middle of the modded I took some time because... Terraria... xD

Play your heart's content, and if you stop having fun, take a break play something else, and wait for the next update.

We all know that when A18 arrives, we will play again

eadras

A17 is quite fun.  The game is in a good place, especially if you take the time to choose a few mods that fill in the gaps without trivializing or completely altering the experience.  That said, late game still has severe performance issues that won't be fixed until the game is changed to run on multiple cores, which is no small task to accomplish.

MisterVertigo

I'm like a lot of the others here. When a new Alpha comes out I'll play it for quite a while, first as vanilla and then with an extensive mod list. After a while, I decide "it's time" and I move on to other things. Then when the new Alpha comes out I always fire it up again and play with the new features. I've been doing this since about A9! :P
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

kenmtraveller

To me, A17 refines stuff that was brought in for A16 and lays groundwork for future features (IE, roads, rivers).
The caravan quests currently feel half-finished -- rewards typically aren't worth the risks, and there is little variety in events.
So, for me, having played a ton of A16,  mods are what makes A17 worth playing. 
If I had to guess, A18 will be a better vanilla experience, because new content will be created which will take advantage of the fact that the game now models roads and rivers.

BetaSpectre

I usually wait unless Mods are why I play.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Bozobub

I have just about 80 games, large and small, installed on my laptop, not including about ~400 Playstation 1 game .isos (mostly for use on my phone but PC as well) and a smattering of PSP games (again, for PPSSPP on my phone ;D).  I'm too ADHD (obviously enough!) not to drop games and come back later.

Games are meant to be fun.  As soon as you stop having fun, STOP and come back later, that simple.  You don't "owe" the game your time, nor would the devs want you to come to hate their game, I'd bet.
Thanks, belgord!

ReZpawner

I would probably wait. The game has some performance issues at the moment, which can really kill the fun.