World War

Started by Zimme, June 30, 2017, 03:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimme

I don't know if this is already in the game or not but I thought it might be interesting and add and some more layers to your relationships with the other factions.  Here's how I think it would work:

Stage 1
If two of the factions opinions of each other get too low, a message would pop up saying "A war has broken out between The Leopards and The Social Covenant of Northwest Hendio!"(or whatever the two groups are called).  Your colonists would get a -5 mood affect.
Stage 2
You'd get a message from one of the two factions asking you to join their forces.  If you accept, you're given a place to raid and destroy within a certain time period.  If you decline, you lose 10 reputation points with that faction.  The other faction would then offer you the same, and the same rules would apply.
Stage 3
Warfare begins!  Raids happen more often, soldiers march through your area, and bombs are dropped throughout the map.  Traders will not visit during these times, and people will constantly sneak into your base to steal food and weaponry.  Bombs can also be dropped in or around your area, causing all crops to die and batteries to drain.  If a bomb is dropped on your base everything within a five tile radius would be destroyed, if any colonists were standing under it, they would die.
Stage 4
After 5-8 days the war would end and everything would go back to normal.  All colonists would get a 10+ mood boost for the war being over.

I know this would be pretty complicated to implement but I think it would really a new level of interactions with the other factions (yeah, I know that rhymes).  I'm currently brainstorming some new (and easier to add) features for faction relationships.  It's a part of the game that defiantly needs some more depth.   

Limdood

no.  no way.
QuoteBombs can also be dropped in or around your area, causing all crops to die and batteries to drain.  If a bomb is dropped on your base everything within a five tile radius would be destroyed, if any colonists were standing under it, they would die.
how about rimworld just randomly crashes your computer and corrupts your saves.  does that sound fun?

erdrik

I don't mind the idea of wars breaking out and it having an impact on mood, faction relations, raid frequency, your caravans being intercepted, and enemy soldiers trying to steal your shtuff.

But the bomb dropping and random unavoidable crop killing and power draining is unneeded. We already get enough of that from natural events, and the tech level of the factions you typically deal with doesn't really support sustained wartime strategic bombardment. And even if they could why the frack would they be bombing anywhere near you if you aren't the one they declared war on??

HongPong

Unrelated people getting bombed and losing their crops is definitely a feature of warfare in the real world. I also like the idea of raiders coming in to nab stuff from the supplies, and using countermeasures in particular tamed animals to bark at them when they're sneaking around.

realdead_man

maybe on the harder difficulty.

I have a time allready on the easiest

erdrik

Quote from: HongPong on July 01, 2017, 04:00:12 PM
Unrelated people getting bombed and losing their crops is definitely a feature of warfare in the real world. ...
When they are in the same area sure.
But the OP is calling it World War. That kind of implies wars that can happen far far away from you.
And judging by the average distance between faction bases, unless you chose to start a few tiles over from an existing faction base on the world map I can't see your colony being apart of collateral damage.