Does anyone know nother colony management games?

Started by FosterKicks, July 01, 2017, 11:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Maia is technically another sci-fi colony game, in Early Access, and with 3D graphics. But every time I tried it - every few builds - I was unhappy with it. There's just not enough effort dedicated to make it playable, and there are numerous glitches and bugs. It seems optimized for making screenshots. The mechanics are just not fun, playing feels like debugging colonists because they mostly communicate through gestures in a game where a day lasts 2 minutes or one minute ? I don't remember. It is a very ambitious game, with more simulation and systems than Rimworld. It's a game I very much tried to love, but kept bouncing off. I guess I will drop by in a few builds to see if my bugs have been fixed (Especially the canvas scrolling bug).

It seems to be on 50% sale right now. But you've been warned, it's a more frustrating experience than it looks.

Romi

dude, I like know a dozen of them!
well similar of course!
Oxygen is not included
Banished
maybe Kingdoms And Castles (very early access)
Project Highrise (kind of a modern "colony" if you catch my drift)
Sheltered
Stonehearth (quite quite similar)
and Kingdom - New Lands

NeverPire

I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Apposl

Prison Architect falls into the same genre and might interest you if you've not heard of it.

Kegereneku

Technically there's "Space Colony", which did have structure building, character with archetype personality, and stuff.
This is however far from what Rimworld feel like.
A relatively old game now

There's "Project AURA" which is more of a post-apocalypse management of a cyber-city.

There's "Sol 0 : Mars colonisation"

And there "Planetbase" but it's pretty lackluster to my taste, nothing to the level of Rimworld.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

kubolek01

IDK why, but Factorio seems similar for me, but you do everything byself instead (and with all those damn machines!)
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Seriously Unserious

There's also Starship Theory, which, while still in early access, looks promising. It's sort of a cross between FTL and Rimworld, but you're building out a spaceship instead of a colony.

Also, since others have branched off into some similar games, I'll give a new one still under development: Ice Punk looks very good. I saw a couple of YouTubers play it, Quill18 and Enter Elysium. I guess you could say it's a steam punk type colony builder set in a post Ice Age apocalyptic Earth in the late 19th century.

Chestergazi

Dwarf Fortress!
It may be an complex game but it is an very fantastic game! (My Opinion)
It have Adventure mode, Dwarf Fortress Mode (Building your Fortress)
And yet Legends to see what happened in your world?

Well that's not all of try to read some stories of Dwarf Fortress players.

gipothegip

@Seriously Unserious You mean Frostpunk, correct?

@Chestergazi I have yet to try it, I've been meaning to. It looks like fortress mode plays a lot like Rimworld. I think I'm going to have to look for or make a texture pack (or whatever they're called) for that though,  because I'm not a huge fan of ASCII art.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

Chestergazi

Quote from: gipothegip on November 12, 2017, 12:39:24 AM
@Seriously Unserious You mean Frostpunk, correct?

@Chestergazi I have yet to try it, I've been meaning to. It looks like fortress mode plays a lot like Rimworld. I think I'm going to have to look for or make a texture pack (or whatever they're called) for that though,  because I'm not a huge fan of ASCII art.
Well of course try Texture packs!
Also remember that losing is fun :D

Another

They're called tilesets, and if you want to start, I'd recommend you use The Lazy Newb Pack.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Another on November 12, 2017, 11:12:00 AM
They're called tilesets, and if you want to start, I'd recommend you use The Lazy Newb Pack.

Agree with this ^^

I would recommend watching Das' DF tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wzjlYHL-E&list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmNbSUujzXbgNjJi_-WHTTTD

They are a little out of date version wise, but still very worthy of watching and helping you get started. You just won't learn any of the newer things. Theoretically you could always just play the older version those tutorials are using and learn that way. Then move forward when you are ready.

Listen1

I've been taking a closer look into "They are Billions". It is kinda different game since it is more a "defend the fort RTS" than a colony manager but... it's pretty amazing.

http://www.numantiangames.com/theyarebillions/

I suggest the Splattercat gameplay of it, if you wanna have a feel for the game. I intend to purchase this game as soon as it reaches Steam EA