Constant error

Started by mjeromee, July 01, 2017, 04:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeromee

I keep getting this error in dev mode:

Exception ticking Philly: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Verse.HediffComp_VerbGiver.CompPostTick (System.Single& severityAdjustment) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.HediffWithComps.PostTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn_HealthTracker.HealthTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Pawn.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.TickList.Tick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

I believe it started around when the pawn contracted fibrous mechanites. Afterwards I performed surgery on him, and the anesthesia didn't wear off. I was able to wake up by following save game editing instructions. Now, he doesn't seem to wake up on his own from regular sleep, I have to draft/un-draft to wake him up and he goes about his day.  I did not know about dev mode until recently and I see that when I turn that on the error is constant. To be honest, I've just been dealing with it for awhile and I may be off on the origin since it's been so long. It seems I've messed up the timer for this pawn, any help to reset this or a fix would be appreciated.

Calahan

Please can you post your log file (as an attachment). Details on where to find it can be found in the following thread: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0

mjeromee

I've attached my logfile.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

milon

1. Looks like you're running the Steam version on a Windows platform.  What version of Windows are you running?

2. Do you get this error when you run a game without mods?  (Specifically, a game that was created with no mods and hasn't had any mods introduced.)  This could honestly be a mod collision issue.

Calahan

Thanks for the log file.

Given the number mods you are using, and that you have edited the save file, this is looking very much like either a modding issue, or maybe even more like a "I need a save file editing wizard to rescue my save" issue. If it's a modding issue you might be able to get help for it (in the mods bugs forum), but if it's an issue caused by save game editing then I'm afraid there are no guarantees you will be able to get help with it here (or anywhere), as that is way outside to scope of the support provided.

If a new vanilla save works fine, and if a new game with the same mods works fine, then yeah, it's starting to look like a broken save issue. In which case.... not sure where's best to get help to be honest. Maybe ask nicely on one of the RimWorld chat channels and see if a lurking guru will be kind enough to take a look at your save (and find a way to help you).

mjeromee

Quote from: milon on July 03, 2017, 12:38:49 PM
1. Looks like you're running the Steam version on a Windows platform.  What version of Windows are you running?

Windows 10

Quote from: milon on July 03, 2017, 12:38:49 PM
2. Do you get this error when you run a game without mods?  (Specifically, a game that was created with no mods and hasn't had any mods introduced.)  This could honestly be a mod collision issue.

No, this problem seems to be specific to this pawn in this specific save.

Quote from: Calahan on July 03, 2017, 02:06:43 PM
Thanks for the log file.

Given the number mods you are using, and that you have edited the save file, this is looking very much like either a modding issue, or maybe even more like a "I need a save file editing wizard to rescue my save" issue. If it's a modding issue you might be able to get help for it (in the mods bugs forum), but if it's an issue caused by save game editing then I'm afraid there are no guarantees you will be able to get help with it here (or anywhere), as that is way outside to scope of the support provided.

If a new vanilla save works fine, and if a new game with the same mods works fine, then yeah, it's starting to look like a broken save issue. In which case.... not sure where's best to get help to be honest. Maybe ask nicely on one of the RimWorld chat channels and see if a lurking guru will be kind enough to take a look at your save (and find a way to help you).

I understand. Thanks for looking anyway.

milon

Your log file states you're using DX9, which "shouldn't" happen on Windows 10. Which means you've got a graphics driver issue going on too. Check for a driver update. (This is a separate issue, of course.)

EDIT - Don't rely on Windows Update for any non-Microsoft updates, btw.  Lookup your specific graphics card on the manufacturer's website and get the latest driver there.  It may not be causing an obvious problem now, but being stuck on DX9 in Win10 will eventually cause a problem for something.

mjeromee

Quote from: milon on July 04, 2017, 09:10:51 AM
Your log file states you're using DX9, which "shouldn't" happen on Windows 10. Which means you've got a graphics driver issue going on too. Check for a driver update. (This is a separate issue, of course.)

EDIT - Don't rely on Windows Update for any non-Microsoft updates, btw.  Lookup your specific graphics card on the manufacturer's website and get the latest driver there.  It may not be causing an obvious problem now, but being stuck on DX9 in Win10 will eventually cause a problem for something.

I'm not sure why the log says DirectX 9. Both my graphics card software and dxdiag show DirectX 12 is installed. My drivers are up to date.

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 7/4/2017, 16:22:05
         Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
             System Model: System Product Name
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/19/16 20:18:33 Ver: 05.0000B
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
                   Memory: 32768MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 32688MB RAM
                Page File: 9329MB used, 28222MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.15063.0000 64bit Unicode

milon

Like Calahan, I'm thinking the error you're seeing is mod related. I'm going to move this thread to Mod Bugs and maybe someone there can help you out.

The graphics thing is a separate issue that isn't causing obvious symptoms right now, but may in the future. For whatever reason, RimWorld (or more likely the Unity framework) isn't able to initialize DX 10+. You could ignore it for now, but keep it in mind in case something breaks graphic-wise.

mjeromee

An unforeseen benefit to the error was that since the timer was messed up for the colonist, he never became tired. So I just told him to never sleep. He worked 24/7 without complaint :)

Anyway, I seem to have fixed the error myself. I turned on development mode, opened debug actions menu, then chose Tool: Restore body part. Clicked on the affected colonist, then chose Torso. Done. He *seems* to be working normally now.