[Finished][A17] Map Reroll 2 (0.10.0) Public beta

Started by UnlimitedHugs, July 01, 2017, 08:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnlimitedHugs

Description:
Map Reroll 2 is a complete rewrite of the Map Reroll project. The significant internal changes should yield improved stability and performance.

Notice: The beta has concluded successfully, and the new features have been merged back into Map Reroll. Thank you everyone for helping test the new goodies.

Features

• Preview alternative starting maps for your chosen world location.
  • Select a preview to reroll your starting map to the selected one.
  • Randomize the locations of the steam geysers on your map.
  • Saving and loading your game will no longer prevent you from rerolling.
  • Maps settled by caravans can now also be rerolled.

How to use

• Start a new game or settle on a new map.
  • Click the "Map Reroll" button at the bottom of the screen.
  • Click on "Reroll map" or "Reroll geysers".

Change log

0.10.0: Added map preview system
- Map rerolls are no longer random- the map can be picked from a selection of previews
- Map reroll cost is now per preview page, rather than per map
- Removed the monument
- Added Map Reroll main window button and tab
- Added map generator accuracy setting
- All rerolling can now be done while the game is paused
- Game will auto-pause if it was paused before a map reroll

Pack policy
Feel free to use and include wherever. Credit is optional.
I would advise to wait for the 1.0 release, though.

Source
Github

Download
Github releases: Latest

HugsLib library (required): Latest
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

wwWraith

I've made some tests. I want to thank you for making the deterministic rerolling optionable :)

The idea with this mysterious monument looks interesting at first, but...

• I think that one of the purposes of rerolling is the time saving. But this new behavior contradicts it because it takes both real and ingame time. I don't want to see my colonists dying from starvation while I'm trying to find some particularly interesting map.
  • The placement of the monument may lead to some potentional problems. I hope you did good efforts to make it not to cross with other objects including generated by other mods, but you can't be sure with all the possibilities. For example, the Cave Biome mod generates Cave Wells - the few spots where bright light exists and so the farming is available. The monument will make a part of this precious territory unusable if generated near it (even not directly on it because the light is in the some radius around).
  • Sometimes the monument generates in the fogged part of the map.
  • The problem with the memory consumption increasing by each reroll and eventually crashing is still here.

So I personally find the old behavior with just onscreen button better.

And a little suggestion: an ability to view the whole map (temporarily) unfogged. It would be very useful for mountainous maps and alike.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: wwWraith on July 02, 2017, 07:05:49 AM
- snip -

Thank you, those are good points.

I agree on #1, usability should come first. Though I do have an idea on how to have the cake, and eat it too, in this case. Ultimately, the loading screen is the most time-consuming part, and generating full maps just to look at the terrain is an epic waste.
The idea is to draw previews of how the landscape of a map would look once generated by the game, and let the player pick among the previews. Making them would take only a fraction of the time, and avoid the costly loading screens. I have yet to do a proof-of-concept on that, but it should work in theory.

#2,3- I have some general checks in place, but if some specific issue crops up, we can fix that. I thought I included a fogged check, but I guess I'll have to double-check that part.

#4- At this point I'm questioning if this is even something I can address on my end. If not, there are still options- the previews would sidestep the problem, and I could include a warning once memory consumption starts to become critical, I suppose. Pre-reroll autosaves could also help.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

wwWraith

Quote from: UnlimitedHugs on July 02, 2017, 08:12:46 AM
The idea is to draw previews of how the landscape of a map would look once generated by the game, and let the player pick among the previews.

It sounds really great! :) But I think even with this ability it shouldn't use ingame time at all, it's important in such scenarios like vanilla tribal start or Crash Landing by Katavrik (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8967). Animation is nice, but let it be after the new map generated :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

ajaviide

Hey, i tried this,and  its pretty cool, i myself would like a deconstruct or uninstall button.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: ajaviide on July 06, 2017, 09:17:23 AM
Hey, i tried this,and  its pretty cool, i myself would like a deconstruct or uninstall button.

I guess a deconstruct option would make sense once the monument deactivates.
Until then violence is always an option ;)

stigma

I love map reroll. It saves a ton of time if I'm looking for a specific set of terrain features for my playthrough (or if I'm just not in the mood for an open base and would like to find a place that is reasonably defensible).

That said - I have no friggin clue why you chose to make the re-roll function tied to an in-game item that you have to claim in this new version. That's just incredibly inconvenient (and unnecessarily error prone). You really need to make that optional and bring back the old menu IMO.

I just don't understand what the point is of making you have to play the game and spend time on a map that you don't want to use in the first place. What possible function does this serve? Hiding something on the map is what you do to delay access to a feature - but the whole point of this feature is to use it immediately (and it becomes useless later). So .. why?

(I'm going by the description here - I haven't loaded it up yet, so perhaps I'm just misunderstanding something but...)

If the previous poster is right that this re-write did not fix the memory leak that results in crashing from multiple re-rolls then I am a bit disappointed. IMO that is the only major problem that the original map-reroll had (constantly having to restart every 5 rerolls takes up a lot of unnecessary time). If it's out of your control because it's leaking somewhere in the core game however then I understand, but if it is fixable then that would definitely be the #1 quality improvement to make.

I do like your ideas on future features for partially rendering maps to give you a preview though. Anything you can do to speed up the re-roll seems like a good idea - but I really hope you won't keep this monument thing as a forced thing. Otherwise I can't ever see me wanting to use this over the old reroll - previews or no.

Don't take anything I said here as anything but constructive criticism. I love your previous work and appreciate your efforts greatly.

-Stigma

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: stigma on July 06, 2017, 11:01:40 AM
- snip -

That's some strong input right there :D
The monument will tie in with the future content I have in mind, but I do plan to make all of it optional. This means, that the reroll controls will be accessible through a main window tab, or something similar, if the player so chooses.
As for the leak, I'd love to fix it- but even if I were to find and patch whatever the cause is, any other mod can undo that simply by keeping a reference to a generated map. Or a reference to anything in a map. Or something that contains a map. You get the idea.
So, a different approach is needed here. The mod is still WIP and I'm pretty sure that a solution will present itself eventually.
Thank you for your feedback.

AngleWyrm

I'd like the ability to move the dice monument to another location; it's a rather attractive piece of sculpture.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: AngleWyrm on July 07, 2017, 10:05:29 AM
I'd like the ability to move the dice monument to another location; it's a rather attractive piece of sculpture.

Ah, someone who appreciates fine art around here :D
I'll add a reinstall option.

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 0.10.0

Well folks, there you have it- the new map preview system. Born from the ashes of your crash reports, and destined to change the face of rerolling for all times ;D
The thing is massive and complicated, but I suspect it'll be worth the effort.
With the new system in place, the reroll cost also had to be overhauled- now the cost is per additional preview page, rather than per map- which is roughly 9 times more bang for your buck.
Also, I thought it over and decided to move the monument and all pending content to a separate mod- there is really no need to inflict it on everyone, since it would have been optional in the first place.
Without the monument, reroll controls have been moved to a tab- you can find it in the bottom bar.
Finally, I added an auto-pause feature that allows to keep the game paused while rerolling- this goes for both maps and geysers.

Do let me know how the new goodies are working for ya.

Robloxsina66

i have an error that u couldn't click on the map buttom

UnlimitedHugs