[A17-18]Vanilla Animals Overhaul (more pack animals included) - updated 10/29/17

Started by kaptain_kavern, July 02, 2017, 07:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilponderroci

Can anyone confirm if this is compatible with hospitality?

Also didnt a version of the TropiCKAPP add a ton of animals to other biomes as well?

I would love to see lots and lots of animals! ;)

<3

wwWraith

Quote from: Wilponderroci on July 05, 2017, 09:54:32 AM
Can anyone confirm if this is compatible with hospitality?

I confirm: they work fine together :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

stigma

I really like the expanding of animals that can be used as pack-animals. Vanilla limits this FAR too much - and arbitrarily so (elephants should be obvious).

The other tweaks seem ok I guess - but I tend to prefer that mods are split up when they aren't all about the same thing. Yes, these are all animals mods, but the mechanics being tweaked are very unrelated.

QUESTION:
Can you elaborate a bit on how pack-animals work now exactly? If I hunt an elephant will the entire herd come after me now and wipe me out? It's not at all clear what you insinuate in the description.

-Stigma

kaptain_kavern

Hi stigma,

Indeed that is exactly what it means. Provided you were talking about herd animals. There is a chance that the whole herd going manhunting, like it happen already in vanilla for some (like muffalo for instance)

stigma

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 06, 2017, 08:42:10 PM
Hi stigma,

Indeed that is exactly what it means. Provided you were talking about herd animals. There is a chance that the whole herd going manhunting, like it happen already in vanilla for some (like muffalo for instance)

I'm torn on that... on one hand it is quite realistic, at least if you messed with elephants you would get stomped IRL.
On the other hand, it makes the already weak hunting skill even more irellevant. Hmmm...

Thanks for the info anyway.
-Stigma

Shotgunfrenzy

Hey man, love this mod but I have one issue/bug

Still don't know if its 100% your mod or another, I don't have any other animal mods other than pygmy Buffalo's but for some reason there is an issue with animals and colonists, If I click on any trained animal and try to change their master either it just shows their current master or it just shows none. Also if you try and train an animal the priorities training box doesn't show up, this also applies to shearing and milking animals, had nitralopes from recon and discovery and the damn things nearly blew up my base :|

kaptain_kavern

OK folks I have great news.

Thank to Oblitus (my new personal hero) who kindly provide us a DLL fix for that, I will soon release a new version where we will be able to buy modified animals from traders.

This will be a save-breaking update I fear so I will also take the time to include all the changes I had waiting until now (more milkable animals and more butcherable exotic parts)

I think I will then put the mod on Steam (as well as TropiCKAPP) and pray for A18 integrate something like that because I will not know how to update the DLL to A18 ^^

Oblitus

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 24, 2017, 01:26:53 PM
This will be a save-breaking update I fear
Not from my part. The patched function is dynamic; it is safe to add and should be safe to remove as well. If you feel paranoid make sure there are no caravans on the map.

kaptain_kavern

Even better :D

Thank you again

I think some of the changes from my part will be, though ^^ but I just remember this one wasn't been put on Steam for this precise reason.

kaptain_kavern

kaptain_kavern

The update will contain :
- Cassowaries, Emus, Iguanas, Ostriches, Tortoises, and Turkey can now lay unfertilized eggs

- Elephants can now eat trees and the female elephant will also drop tusks

- Caribous, Deers, Elks, Gazelles, Ibexes, and Rhinos will now drop horns/antlers/tusks when butchered. They are considered quite valuable for reselling and can be used as makeshift melee weapon

- Alpacas, Deers, and Ibexes can now be milked

- Thrumbos can now be sheared (every 50 days) for their high-quality wool

I'm currently testing. If no bugs I will post it in a couple of hours :p (it is now time to cook :p )

SpaceDorf

Come on .. post .. I am about to start a new game.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

bladerunner170

I love this mod, but is there any way we could get Boomalopes as pack animals? They're incredibly valuable with combat extended, and since I always have like, six of them, it seems silly they can't tote anything. I already did the XML edit myself, but I don't know how to get them to wear the bags, and they just end up with a purple square

kaptain_kavern

bladerunner170, if you look in the Textures folder you'll see that the mod add a graphics files for the pack to be shown on the animal. You can try to copy/paste an existing animal folder from the mod, and renamed it (folder and texture files) while respecting the same naming convention.  This will be ugly (because I had to make the bag fitting the animal textures for each animal) but should work. I think you could try to use some empty textures files and the game should show animal without bags (maybe you could also use the original vanilla animal textures as well)

I hope you'll manage that but tell me how it goes and if I can help.

Okay, I've even added a bit more than what I've announced earlier ... And had to do extend playing for test (my preferred excuse for actually playing the game a bit, instead of modding ^^)

So with no further ado, here are the actual new things in the mod :

- Cats and big Cats are now trainable (up to advanced like dogs) but are harder to train than most other pets (wildness raised from 0.2 to 0.5 for the pet).

- All Bears, Foxes and Big Cats have now a "maxPreyBodySize" attribute up to their relative own body size attribute.

- All dogs are now set to be predator (but only for the smallest animals)

- Cassowaries, Emus, Iguanas, Ostriches, Tortoises, and Turkey can now lay unfertilized eggs

- Monkeys and domestic Cats had their body-size upped in order for them to be eligible for haul training (from 0.35 to 0.40 for monkeys and from 0.26 to 0.4 for cats)

- Elephants can now eat trees and the female elephant will also drop tusks

- Caribous, Deers, Elks, Gazelles, Ibexes, and Rhinos will now drop horns/antlers/tusks when butchered. They are considered quite valuable for reselling and can be used as makeshift melee weapon

- Alpacas, Deers, and Ibexes can now be milked. Ibexes produce poor-quality wool now

- Thrumbos can now be sheared (every 50 days) for their high-quality wool

As always the github download links in OP is up to date. I will release this on Steam as well

SpaceDorf

So did your testing conclude if it is save to add the new version to a savegame or not ?

By reading the features my guess would be, its totally save ..
trust me, I know what I am doing ..
it's totally save ..

backup is for pussies anyway ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.