Fire extinguisher = Water balloons

Started by Sion, May 02, 2014, 10:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sion

Fires cant be put out if they reach eg. the inner 4 squares in a solar generator, and instantly the generator is doomed, unless it starts raining, therefore some kind of fire extinguisher are needed, and why not try water balloons?

I would guess that your first question is something like:
"How are they filling the balloons if water isn't implemented in RimWorld yet?"
and "Where are they getting the rubber for the balloons?"

The first question have 2 answers, the first and easiest answer is: You buy them from an interplanetary trader, because they have water on other planets (we just haven't discovered that yet :P )
The other answer is that you need to (research and) build a barrel like structure that collects rainwater that they can fill the balloons with, the barrel can only hold a limited amount of rain, and it only recharges while it is raining (in much the same way as the batteries do).

The second question, about the rubber; who knows what colonists can come up with when they have some chemicals from a boom rat, some agave and a few potatoes? :P

Now you are probably thinking that this is a great tool for shooting training, but to prevent this we can do it in at least 2 ways:
Option 1: you don't get any points for throwing balloons even tho they are similar to grenades (and probably uses much of the same code).
Option 2: you only have as many as you have made or bought from the traders, they are not infinite like grenades.
Option 3: both options above.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

TimMartland

I would rather have metal pump extinguishers made from metal than water balloons. Its a cool idea, but I think water balloons would look kinda out of place in a grim frontier colony. They wouldn't be very good at putting fires out anyway :)
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

Darkfirephoenix

And please don't forget that if you try to put the fire out on some non-waterproof machine, you'll get an shortcircuit and a nice little explosion accompanied by fire... I would go with "normal" extinguishers wich have an reach of 3 tiles and put fires out faster