My coloists won't Handle their animals :(

Started by lorebot, July 04, 2017, 06:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lorebot

So I've been having an issue for the past few days and I'm at wits end trying to solve it.

My colonists have a herd of pygmy muffalo and suddenly they can't take care of it. They won't milk or shear them, and I can't order them to do it because the option to Prioritize the work doesn't appear in the right click menu when I click on the muffalo. And I've begun to notice other jobs being left undone that I'm unable to manually trigger because options aren't appearing when they should in the right click menu. Most recently I had a colonist attacked by a turkey she was hunting, I drafted her and commanded her to fight the turkey, she downed the turkey and I undrafted her to tell her to resume hunting it because she's not a hauler so the only way for her to take it back to the colony is to finish the hunt...but the option to Prioritize hunting the turkey wouldn't appear.

What doubly strange is that for a few minutes after I load a save everything works as it's supposed to. If I quit to the main menu and load the game the colonists will all rush to milk and shear the muffalo who've been sitting at 100% milk/wool for days. But after that initial rush to get the work done they won't do it again, I'll sit and wait for the muffalo to get to 100% again but the work won't be done and I'll be unable to manually trigger them to do it. I saved the game when that pawn was unable to hunt that turkey and when I loaded the save I was able to command her to do it.

I'm not sure which mod(s) is causing the issue, and I have a lot of mods installed that can't be easily removed from an ongoing game so testing them all to figure out what's causing seems somewhat impossible. The maddening thing is that this issue just suddenly appeared without me adding any new mods, changing the load order, or making any other alterations to the game. The colony is 161 days old, and I've only noticed this issue within the last 20 days or so of the colony's life. Before that time the muffalo were being milked and sheared for their wool regularly, as the massive stock of milk in my freezer will attest to and the more than 3000 muffalo wool I burned through building beds for the muffalo and chickens in their new barn. In fact I first noticed the issue when I built the barn and ordered all the animal beds. About half of them were made immediately and I figured  after a few days I'd see more completed as the muffalo were being sheared for more wool, but days passed without any new beds being made so I checked and all my muffalo were sitting at 100% milk and wool. When I tried to order colonists to handle their animals I couldn't, I've been trying to figure this out since.

I'm been using dev mode for the past day watching for errors, but I'm not familiar enough with the game to know what to look for to figure this out. I do play the game through Steam and subscribe to a lot of mods through the workshop, so it's possible a mod updated and I didn't notice and the change is what's causing this problem but I can't be sure. I copied the log from my latest session to github in case anyone can look at it and give me any clues where to look next, but currently I'm at a loss as to what the root of this problem is:

https://gist.github.com/HugsLibRecordKeeper/cc29f2ca352e7ce6334fe1fdc5eb6f78

Distman

Oh snap! That's a messy modlist. It's... it's almost random.
Can't really help you with your problem, but i would suggest categorizing your modlist more.

I try to keep similar mods together, something like this:
Core
Libraries (Like Huglibs etc)
Content mods (that adds buildings, items, plants etc)
Behavior mods (allow tool, follow me, efficient lights etc)
Big mods/overhauls (Medieval Times, Star Wars, Cthulhu etc)
High priority mods (Outfitter, infused, Prepare Carefully)

Even though most mods work together, taken they are no hack jobs, they can overwrite content and mechanics if they are placed strangely in the modlist.

lorebot

yeah...mostly my mod list is just 'as I found them'...

What really kills me about this issue is that until a few days ago it wasn't happening, I didn't change anything, then suddenly it started. I simply have no idea where to even look at this point...

sheepswars

been having the same thing happen to me.
:'(
going to reorder my mods and re try will let you know

did not work load order after reworking
https://gist.github.com/c3e3ae1d628039982c2aececd531af93

lorebot

Issue is ongoing for me too and I've been trying to figure it out for more than a week now. I think it may have something to do with some of the added/divided job mods I'm using, like Haul+, Refuel, and Divided Growing but I'm still not sure how to be sure.

Another thing I've been noticing a lot lately has been the game telling me there are no colonists assigned to jobs that are actually being done:

As you can see in the screenshot the game is giving me a notice that I need a warden, but Bowman is assigned to wardening and successfully recuited Youko a few minutes after this screenshot was taken. I'm not sure if the error in the log shown is somehow related to the issue, but I've been seeing similar errors a lot lately and I'm not sure what they mean or how they're affecting the game. I know I output the log using HugsLib but I don't think I saved the link and I can't find a search function on gisthub to let me find a log output that matches the time I took the screenshot.

SpaceDorf

Finally I found this thread again .. I got a similiar problem, with animal handling.

After loading it works for a short while, then it doesn't even the right click menu on animals which should show a handling option does not work ..

I downloaded the modlists you provided and uploaded mine, so the comparing can continue.
If you cleared any mods or interactions please post it here.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

SpaceDorf

No to cry Wolf yet, but I switched "Use Haulers for construction" to ON in "Hand me that Brick" -Mod .. and suddenly there was a rush to Handle my animals .. without reloading the game.

sheepswars

i turned off 3 mods from me list (Pawns Play Together / RazzleDazzle / Additional Traits v2.2 ) and it is working now for me was going to trun off mod 1 by one till i found it and did have the err with only  RazzleDazzle off so like not this mod
had the same bug with warden job pop up as no one could do it with the handle bug did not get any raids to test out i both errs are fixed yet

SpaceDorf

Yeah it was a wrong call with mine.
Razzle Dazzle sounds okay .. does this work midgame since it adds a new Worktype ?

lorebot

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 08, 2017, 05:13:52 PM
No to cry Wolf yet, but I switched "Use Haulers for construction" to ON in "Hand me that Brick" -Mod .. and suddenly there was a rush to Handle my animals .. without reloading the game.

I don't use 'Hand me that Brick' but I do use Quality Builder. When looking through your mod list I didn't see any of the extra job mods that I've been using (Haul+, Refuel, Dividing Growing, etc...) so now I'm wondering if the extra jobs are the cause. If they are I'm gonna be really sad, I love those mods :(

SpaceDorf

Then you overlooked them, I use all of them :)

lorebot

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 08, 2017, 07:00:40 PM
Then you overlooked them, I use all of them :)

No matter, I disabled them all and my colonists still won't handle their animals. They'll still go out and tame animals, but they won't shear or milk the animals they tame. I just realized I haven't checked to see if they'll train animals or not, I don't have any animals capable of hauling in my current game so I haven't been trying to train them.

I'm still having the issue with the game telling me I have no colonists assigned to jobs that are being done. Namely Warden and Manager...but my prisoners are being tended to and my Manager jobs are being updated as intended. And once more I'm at a loss. Maybe I'll try installing 'Hand me that Brick' and see if installing a new mod fixes whatever's going on.

SpaceDorf

I guess it wont.

I have exactly the same problems you describe .. messages I need a warden, a doctor or something else.
They tame animals, most of the time, the don't train the animals nor gather ressources from them,
they kill animal I designate to, but thats it.

I try removing "pawns play together, razzle dazzle and additional traits 2.2  ... like sheepswars suggested .. else I am at a loss too ..

sheepswars

pawns play together looks to brake handle so this mod is the issue played for 2hr with the other 2 on and everthing was still working so ppt and other mods like it may be the issue

sry checked steam for ppt and it says
Issues:
This mod doesn't seem to work with some mods, and breaks interactions like animal training or wardening. Make sure to test these actions to avoid problems. Potential mods that conflict:
Hospitality
Animal Collab Project
Psychology
so their we go it is ppt

SpaceDorf

Finally .. I completely overthrew my modlist anyway to remove this and razzle dazzle ( which sounds fun, but I never came around using the features )