Moving forums to XenForo

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2014, 04:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celthric Aysen

My DeviantART|E-Vehicles|Flebe's  Channel
"♫"Every people that i see i will never understand"♪"

Col_Jessep

XenForo works well. I'm moderator for Uber Entertainment and we switched from phpBB to XenForo. Thank Ceiling Cat!
XenForo seems to be superior to SMF from my experience. The mods page looks useful imo.

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

Geeves

Importing some of the content should be possible. You would have to communicate with the people from XenForo and SMF and see what they can do for you, after all from their side of things all we are writing is just data. And data is transferable.

But Tynan, besides us discussing this forum style change. What are your reasons for wanting this change? I am asking because most likely most of us are temporary, but you are forever bound to Rimworld.
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

TimMartland

I don't think we should move. But then again, my opinion is probably invalid as I am allergic to both change and effort.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

Vas

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on May 03, 2014, 10:39:22 AM
Quote from: Vas on May 03, 2014, 06:34:22 AM
Quote from: Blackjack1000K on May 02, 2014, 09:30:59 PM
This
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/
it looks like crap and shouldn't even exist,
i would like to keep my mods in my own proper thread,and not with this bullcrap thank you very much. (god the reasons why i left the starbound forums)

You do realize, threads still exist.  Right?  I love the resources system.  Much more organized than random threads in a board.  Displays better information and all the other reasons I listed before.

Take for example, my first mod:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/music-station.871/ - is the mod info page where you can download, rate, review, and there are buttons to see previous versions of the mod and discuss it.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/music-station.62522/ is the discussion link, it takes you to a THREAD.  A forum topic.  Where you can discuss the mod like normal.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?forums/musical-instruments.124/ - this is the forum where my mod was posted automatically when I had uploaded it to the resource manager.

If you want to discuss mods in a thread like post manner, just click discussion on each mod.  I still can't see how that whole system is bad, you'll have to explain that one to me.  As a modder, I found this system very easy for me and made it much nicer uploading my mods and updating my mods.  It also allows me to leave an older version of my mod up in case someone has an issue with a newer version, they can simply go back to a different version.
God...
Im about to puke.
I mean no disrespect Vas,
But i strongly Dislike the way they handle mods, its freaking confusing!
and Ugly!

So, uh.  Where exactly is it confusing again?  What can't you figure out how to do?  My first time ever using XenForo, I figured out how to do almost everything in the first hour.  Then found some new things the next day.  My first time using the admin panel of XenForo, I figured out almost immediately how to do everything by clicking every button to see where each went.  I don't understand why you're so heavily against it, honestly if it was as bad as you are making it out to be, StarBound wouldn't be so very very successful right now with a HUGE mod database and no one complaining about it.  I think they still lack a few features but it's better than a post which you have to update and then post somewhere 30 pages down the line "Oh, I updated and added blah blah and blah" then go edit your topic page again to add a new list of what you updated, when you updated, and people have to hope you have the old version available for download, etc etc.  I wish people would be uploading their mods to the forum rather than ad filled websites where you gotta wait 30 seconds while they show you some ads then let you download.  Of course I don't see ads, I see big blank spots with a wait timer.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Col_Jessep

From a moderators perspective I really like the spam cleaning features of XenForo btw. Uber Entertainment had a F2P title which forces you into an 'open door' policy and some spambots always get through. Even with standard tools XenForo makes de-spamming a forum a breeze.

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

ItchyFlea

The only real benefit I can see for moving to whatever software Starbound uses is the modding part of their forum. The only useful thing I see there is being able to search for mods based on a category.
All the other points Vas keeps making regarding mods seem irrelevant to me, as they can be achieved here if the modder is happy to spend a few minutes when posting a new update to their mod.

Overall though, I don't mind moving. As long as I can continue to post my mods and interact with the RimWorld community I'll be happy. :)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Celthric Aysen

Quote from: Vas on May 03, 2014, 06:02:22 PM
So, uh.  Where exactly is it confusing again?  What can't you figure out how to do?  My first time ever using XenForo, I figured out how to do almost everything in the first hour.  Then found some new things the next day.  My first time using the admin panel of XenForo, I figured out almost immediately how to do everything by clicking every button to see where each went.  I don't understand why you're so heavily against it, honestly if it was as bad as you are making it out to be, StarBound wouldn't be so very very successful right now with a HUGE mod database and no one complaining about it.  I think they still lack a few features but it's better than a post which you have to update and then post somewhere 30 pages down the line "Oh, I updated and added blah blah and blah" then go edit your topic page again to add a new list of what you updated, when you updated, and people have to hope you have the old version available for download, etc etc.  I wish people would be uploading their mods to the forum rather than ad filled websites where you gotta wait 30 seconds while they show you some ads then let you download.  Of course I don't see ads, I see big blank spots with a wait timer.
Its just my Preference and Opinion Vas.
In my opinion it looks ugly and confusing, I am sure i'm not the only one who thinks this.

CremionisD

I hope people remember "If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it". These forums seem to work well enough, so why would the change be required? Also remember that if you transition from one forum to another without importing all the content here, you will also "reboot" the community (or at least I see that as a potential danger).

Vas

Quote from: CremionisD on May 04, 2014, 04:20:49 AM
I hope people remember "If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it". These forums seem to work well enough, so why would the change be required? Also remember that if you transition from one forum to another without importing all the content here, you will also "reboot" the community (or at least I see that as a potential danger).

Well, if you mean you delete all inactive users who don't care to ever visit the forums again?  Sure.  But anyone who is a member of the community will stay a member of the community.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

WorldOfIllusion

Quote from: Vas on May 04, 2014, 06:18:57 AM
Quote from: CremionisD on May 04, 2014, 04:20:49 AM

Well, if you mean you delete all inactive users who don't care to ever visit the forums again?  Sure.  But anyone who is a member of the community will stay a member of the community.
I think he was more referring to the vast collection of old topics and messages that would get lost.
Honestly, if the new forum had better functionality it would probably be a good move over the long term scope of rimworld. That said, if it meant losing all of the existing content? I'm not sure. There are a lot of old threads that still get used, and a whole heap of information (particularly regarding modding) that could be lost.
Artistically challenged modder seeking artistically talented texturer's help. Please, please, PM me :)

Celthric Aysen

I agree with World of Illusion.
All this information,threads,topics,messages will be lost.
Its like having a community Reboot, well it really is a community Reboot.
But if some how you can move all this Data to the new forum, so why not?
i mean if its good for the community then why not?
BUT losing all this data is not worth it just to change to a new forum.

Tynan

Quote from: Blackjack1000K on May 04, 2014, 07:35:45 AM
I agree with World of Illusion.
All this information,threads,topics,messages will be lost.
Its like having a community Reboot, well it really is a community Reboot.
But if some how you can move all this Data to the new forum, so why not?
i mean if its good for the community then why not?
BUT losing all this data is not worth it just to change to a new forum.

I'd almost certainly leave these forums up in a frozen state. We could recreate the active threads on the XF side with links to their old versions here and pretty much just continue where we left off. I hope.

Anyway, it seems this isn't any kind of slam-dunk. Just because I have a lot of other stuff to do, I won't be pursuing a changeover right now. However, it may happen eventually.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

CremionisD

Quote from: Tynan on May 04, 2014, 12:31:58 PM
Just because I have a lot of other stuff to do, I won't be pursuing a changeover right now. However, it may happen eventually.
IMHO you should spend your time on working on the game code instead of working on some forum changeover that may or may not be a good idea to begin with.

Viceroy

How about this? It works brilliantly at The Indie Stone forums.

http://www.invisionpower.com/apps/board/
http://theindiestone.com/forums/

Nowhere near an expert on the matter, Rathlord might know more, he is registered on these forums as well if I remember correctly.
Dog goes moo!