[A17] Mines - balanced mining

Started by AngleWyrm, July 05, 2017, 09:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Nanao-kun on July 10, 2017, 06:37:16 PM
What about ores from other mods? Will it need a patch?

Yes, at our present place in the IRL tech research tree it will need a manual patch file.

I'll put something together for including Cupro's Alloys tomorrow.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

SpaceDorf

I wanted to say a nice thank you.

I love that you took the Western-Style approach for the look of the Mine instead of something technical.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

AngleWyrm

Cupro's Alloys patch

A previous post made mention of an issue that seems to have clarified itself as what might best be described as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

There is a mapping between compacted machinery and components that is to some an increase of detail, but to others an unnecessary layer of indirection. To address this issue requires some compromise from both camps.

I've added the mapping to the work bills so that the detail remains but can be ignored by those who find it cumbersome.

Canute

AngleWyrm,
i don't have much knowledge about modding here, but couldn't you made it that mines search for all thingCategories ResourcesRaw Metallic  and stones and made them mineable ?
So the mines auto. expand their mineable resources depend on the installed mods and wouldn't need a patch for any mod ?

AngleWyrm

Why are there many computer languages?
Because each one makes it easy and natural to see solutions present in a given domain, a paintbrush for each kind of job.

Due to the way xpath is written, it's simple for one mod to make edits to another mod, but not simple to make edits to itself based on the existence of another mod.

So including a patch file that edits Mines to add new resources (rather than a separate patch mod) is best done from the perspective of the mod adding those resources. Pretty much a copy/paste from the Cupro's Alloys patch.

AngleWyrm

Searching function update

At game startup, Mines search through the game for any mineable resources, and generate work bill recipes for them.

Thanks to dburgdorf's invaluable assistance with C# which made this possible.

Canute

I got maybe an issue.
Currently i am playing with Crystaloid race which add the crystal. Crystal ore is on the map and mineable, but it don't appear at the mine. Tryed to move Mines before and after Crystaloid but nothing change.

And i think you should remove the ability to mine components, this would made the research for component assemble absolent. And made it too easy to get components.

AngleWyrm

The crystal resource from Crystaloid alien mod doesn't appear to be a mineable resource; that is to say, it doesn't appear in deep clusters for mines, drills and other tools to dig up from deep underground. I've posted a mention of this to the Crystaloid thread, and the mod's author AtomicRavioli has stated an update is in the works

The cost in time spent mining for anything drawn from these mines is specified by the market value of the item being mined. Components are currently the most expensive resource that can be dug up from deep underground, with a price of 21 silver each which translates to almost three hours of pawn mining (2:47) to get just one component.

I haven't made any cost comparisons to researching and using a component assembly bench, or any of the mods that provide alternatives. If they produce more than the rate of a mine then they offer a cheaper solution, and if they are more expensive to use then the mine is a more effective method. There may also be trade-offs involved in other mods where pawn labor can be exchanged for other costs such as research, energy consumption or resource usage.

Canute

Yes, a good  crafter can made componets faster at the assembly then a miner at the mine. But the mine don't need steel and no power.

Compact mashinery isn't a natural resources, they are remains from some ancient cultures. And i don't think they don't appear that deep, hmm dwarfen, alien ants hmm ok, they can appear that deep.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Canute on July 17, 2017, 01:56:01 PM
Yes, a good  crafter can made componets faster at the assembly then a miner at the mine. But the mine don't need steel and no power.

Compact mashinery isn't a natural resources, they are remains from some ancient cultures. And i don't think they don't appear that deep, hmm dwarfen, alien ants hmm ok, they can appear that deep.

This arguement also fits plasteel which is also not a natural ressource.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

AngleWyrm

Multi-lingual support
This update adds language translation support.

Note: Searched for resources derive their names from the mods that create them.

<LanguageData>
<Mineshaft.defName>Mineshaft</Mineshaft.defName>
<Mineshaft.label>mineshaft</Mineshaft.label>
<Mining>Mining {0}.</Mining>
<Mine>mine {0}{1}</Mine>
<LogMessageFoundResource>[Mines]Found something to mine: {0}</LogMessageFoundResource>
<LogMessageAddedRecipe> -- added recipe for {0}</LogMessageAddedRecipe>
<Excavate>Excavate_{0}</Excavate>
</LanguageData>

AngleWyrm

Language Update

Changed all resources to be found by the search method, so that the language translations may proceed in an orderly fashion for every entry.

Added Russian translation
I've used google translate; if there are further improvements that can be made for the translations, post them and I'll include them in the next update.

<LanguageData>
<Mineshaft.defName>штольня</Mineshaft.defName>
<Mineshaft.label>шахта</Mineshaft.label>
<Mining>Добыча {0}.</Mining>
<Mine>добывать {0}{1}</Mine>
<LogMessageFoundResource>[Мины] Нашли что-то для моего: {0}</LogMessageFoundResource>
<LogMessageAddedRecipe> -- добавлен рецепт для {0}</LogMessageAddedRecipe>
<Excavate>рыть_{0}</Excavate>
</LanguageData>

Sirsim

Quote from: AngleWyrm on July 14, 2017, 07:02:05 AM

Searching function update

At game startup, Mines search through the game for any mineable resources, and generate work bill recipes for them.

Thanks to dburgdorf's invaluable assistance with C# which made this possible.

There is something that i probably miss cause i only get the bills for the standard metals without cupro's alloys patch.
Should i use the cupro's alloy patch with the new version or not ?
Thanks in advance .
True self and happiness lies in the space between two thoughts.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Sirsim on July 19, 2017, 01:48:47 PM
There is something that i probably miss cause i only get the bills for the standard metals without cupro's alloys patch.
The patch was for an older version of Mines, before implementing a search feature. The patch is depreciated as no longer necessary.

This is the list of mine-able resources that I see in-game when using Mines version 17-7-19 with Cupro's Alloys version 17.10

Are you using the Help Tab mod? There's an incompatibility between the two (noted in the first post) that makes searches fail. A couple possible solutions:
  • Use an older version of Mines, and create a patch that adds the latest resources from Cupro's Alloys
  • Deactivate Help Tab