[A17] JT's Field Surgery - Combat Casualty Care and Essential Medicines

Started by JT, July 05, 2017, 03:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exoray

Quote from: mimib14 on July 08, 2017, 10:30:48 PM

I am having a few problems, though:

• When I try to draw plasma, it draws blood instead.
  • I haven't tried any of the other recipes yet, but so far I haven't been able to produce saline. It uses up the neutroamine and the bill completes like if it were working right, but no item is produced.

Same as above but also cant produce frozen blood packs, It uses up the bloodpacks and the bill completes, but no frozen bloodpacks are produced.

sidfu

here is a fixed verson. fixes plasma and the saline solution issue

truly fixed now

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

M00nStalker

Any chance for an update of this mod to B18? Looks like the author has been away for quite some time.

If not, is there any similar mods that I have missed?

Bo0g1eMaN

hey hope this mod gets updated to B18 soon i have so many uses for this mod

notfood

I did a rough update. Please test.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

M00nStalker

Quote from: notfood on December 30, 2017, 11:40:54 PM
I did a rough update. Please test.
Great job! Thank you.

I haven't encountered any problems, the only thing I've noticed is that blood/plasma/saline transfusion requires a new game to work. But I seem to remember that was a problem with the original mod as well.

Soupy Delicious

JT

Hola! I'll see what I can do over the next little while.  I've got a paper and/or an exam due every week over the next three weeks, but things should stabilise come December.

Some of those errors people were reporting after my hard drive failure in summer 2017 are perplexing to me, since everything worked for me with no errors.  My best guess is the typical "uploaded the older archive" chestnut, since I do that way too often. =P

Since the attachments are gone, I'll just knock those off my list when I do my update pass.

sidfu

Quote from: JT on November 09, 2018, 05:00:40 AM
Hola! I'll see what I can do over the next little while.  I've got a paper and/or an exam due every week over the next three weeks, but things should stabilise come December.

Some of those errors people were reporting after my hard drive failure in summer 2017 are perplexing to me, since everything worked for me with no errors.  My best guess is the typical "uploaded the older archive" chestnut, since I do that way too often. =P

Since the attachments are gone, I'll just knock those off my list when I do my update pass.

here is the b18 version that worked. u have to change the xml some as i modifed it for a mod pack i use.

[attachment deleted due to age]

JT

Quote from: Soupy Delicious on July 09, 2017, 02:33:08 AM
Man... I've been wanting this kind of mod for ages. You're not adding in any super fancy pantsy endgame stuff, it's not all about the shiny and convenient (the opposite, actually).  Totally awesome.

I do have a worry, though: the medicines you've introduced... do they allow one a potential escape route to something in game, where there isn't in the vanilla game?  If so, that could probably throw a balance that Tynan intended.  I realise I'm doing exactly what you tutted against in one of the comments here (no, I have not yet played your mod), but I like to think I'm asking sensible questions.

So, it's the medicines I'm worried about; I can see that you've made the actual meat, you could say, of this mod as brutal as it needs to be (love you for that. I do.).

Is the acquisition of the medicines and the painkiller difficult (through expense, or finnickyness [not a word]; risk at every step of the process) enough to make treating such health conditions (be it cut off limb or malaria) always tense, always a maybe?  I want to think of medicines and blood packs as a precious treat, and not an endgame solve-all.

Hmmmmmm sorry to be a pain ;D

Just noticed this, so I figure I'll give it a reply anyway.  Hey, "only" 16 months late... no biggie!  (Around that time I was halfway through updating my mods for A17, a little frustrated by doing an IL-insertion patch for a caravan overloading mod I was working on, and diverted myself by playing Skyrim... until my gaming drive crashed in August.  I never got back to RimWorld after I reinstalled Skyrim on the replacement drive, eventually moving between GTA V, Subnautica, Starbound, and Crusader Kings 2 for a long spell.  C'est la vie d'un joueur. =P)

Now to the actual questions, which are answered more in the generic than the specific.

My balancing motive was entirely about ensuring that a lone survivor scenario (one of my favourites) could survive without the inevitable guarantee of succumbing to disease, as that was always anti-climactic and unfun.  The self-tending options that were added in A17 stymied the purpose somewhat, so it was sort of coincidentally dissatisfying that by the time I knocked them off my to-do list that the base game had made them at least partly redundant... so I implemented them anyway. =)

All special medicines must be researched and unlocked to make them oneself, and use neutroamine as a base like any other drug does (which is limited by the base game to traders unless you use a mod that allows you to produce it for yourself).  The essential medicines are all based on the over-arching purpose of the World Health Organisation essential medicines list, which are intended to diagnose and treat the serious conditions that affect impoverished societies.  They are balanced around the real world availability of medicine: societies that have access to good medicine already don't need them, while poor societies need them badly and don't have access to them -- for instance, Africa still has a malaria epidemic, after all, something the western world barely even registers.  The principal means of acquisition is that of being randomly generated on base game traders, rather than added specifically as guaranteed supplies, making them more of a "rare treat" than an easy solution to life's problems.  When you're playing a scenario where survival is dangerous or disease is rampant, you'll want to pick them up.  If you're playing a scenario where survival is safer in numbers, they're just an incidental thing that shows up from time to time in cargo drops or that you might pick up from a trader now and then.

By the time you can manufacture a full supply of every essential medicine, you no longer need them anyway, because at that point (if playing even halfway optimally) you'll have a fully-functional hospital that renders it unlikely for anyone to die of a simple disease.  At that point most diseases are more tedious and annoying rather than interesting and fun; when I have a dozen people battering down my door with charge lances, the last thing I want to worry about while playing is micromanaging people's common colds.  (Ironically for that argument, though, the medicines do require specific bills to apply, since I didn't write a job driver that automatically administers them... I hadn't learned the ins-and-outs of that part of the code yet. ;-))

Ananogel was likewise specifically balanced around the sensory mechanites, which once they infect your lone survivor cause pain that literally slows down everything you do (in spite of their beneficial side effects).  Knowing that the concept would have to affect fibrous mechanites and luciferium by definition, it also eliminates fibrous mechanites (which is probably something you'd prefer not to treat as a lone survivor).  For luciferium in particular, it was deliberately balanced to eliminate only the good side effects of the "devil's bargain" without getting rid of the bad ones, since you've already sold your soul to the mechanites.

I've been designing games for close to twenty years now (with very little implementation to show for it because I'm a lazy arse who hates programming with a general passion), so I do reason most of my design decisions rather than just throwing them in willy nilly. =)

Since as is obvious I tend to prevaricate, I'll just conclude by making a note to add the crafting recipes and the unlocking process to the OP.  When I get this updated (thanks sidfu!) I'll do just that.

sidfu

well u have the one i posted so should help u get updated faster. just remembber that the xml need changeing as its made for the hcsk mod pack.

M00nStalker

Glad to see you're back!

Loved this mod, it adds so much to the game and as a combat medic/nurse and a student of medical history it is a great addition. Not realistic to the point of being tedious (like blood types) but enough to make it very interesting in the context of the game.

TA1980

Dear JT / fans of this mod,

could someone please post the latest working version (sidfu you seem to have updated one for HCSK). I am not too well versed but therefore eager and willing to make this work with 1.0.

Regards

JT

Raw port is already done, but I have two days left to finish a paper, an exam next week, and two exams in December -- so I've been putting off the test+release for obvious reasons.  I also wanted to implement a mod settings menu that lets players choose whether they want the blood economy before official release.

No sense for you to do unnecessary work. ;-)

Here's the raw port.  This is NOT the official update, is almost entirely untested, probably will include bugs, and is totally unsupported.  As a new change, HugsLib is currently a dependency (based on WIP code -- it doesn't even do anything yet), but most people are running that by now, I hope.  Aside from eliminating every XML debug error, literally the only thing I've tested at all is whether the unlawful dismember options show up in the list when you shift+click Add Bill -- none of the recipes or jobs have been actually added as operations at all.

[edit] Migrated to Dropbox link for preservation, in case I don't come back to this before the forum prunes the attachment (which is seeming pretty likely -- the 15-minute load time due to the vanilla game's crossreferencing problems with large numbers of mods is too much of a pain for me to want to test/play anymore): D O W N L O A D - 1.0 - Version 5

[attachment deleted due to age]

M00nStalker

Quote from: JT on November 20, 2018, 10:06:32 PM
Raw port is already done, but I have two days left to finish a paper, an exam next week, and two exams in December -- so I've been putting off the test+release for obvious reasons.  I also wanted to implement a mod settings menu that lets players choose whether they want the blood economy before official release.

No sense for you to do unnecessary work. ;-)

Here's the raw port.  This is NOT the official update, is almost entirely untested, probably will include bugs, and is totally unsupported.  As a new change, HugsLib is currently a dependency (based on WIP code -- it doesn't even do anything yet), but most people are running that by now, I hope.  Aside from eliminating every XML debug error, literally the only thing I've tested at all is whether the unlawful dismember options show up in the list when you shift+click Add Bill -- none of the recipes or jobs have been actually added as operations at all.

[edit] Migrated to Dropbox link for preservation, in case I don't come back to this before the forum prunes the attachment (which is seeming pretty likely -- the 15-minute load time due to the vanilla game's crossreferencing problems with large numbers of mods is too much of a pain for me to want to test/play anymore): D O W N L O A D - 1.0 - Version 5
Would love to see you get back to this! The loading time is (finally) fixed with a fantastic update to Rimworld.