Need examples to emulate for new mod

Started by Two_Bit_Magician, July 04, 2017, 09:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two_Bit_Magician

Now, allow me to start this off by pointing out, I am not asking for a guide on how to make a mod, and I'm not asking someone else to do it for me.

I've got about three hundred hours' coding experience behind me, and more importantly, an idea for a mod. I've been looking through all the tutorials available, but I'm having trouble making the connections mentally as to how to do precisely what I'm thinking of.

Specifically, I want to implement a rivalry & sabotage mod. Pawns who remain at a low enough mood toward one another (specifically less than -90) have a chance to attempt to harm the subject of their wrath by setting a trap based on their skills. If they're good at Growing, Medicine, or Cooking, they'll poison them (any meal cooked by them will poison the target). If they're good at Crafting or Construction they'll weaken a seat or bed in the target's room so the next time the target uses it they'll be harmed, and so on.

I've seen plenty of tutorials on how to add new items or functionality to the game, but as I said I'm having a lot of difficulty figuring out how to turn that from abstract understanding to successful implementation. So my question is: are there any mods out there that do something similar to this, whose code I can analyze to better understand how to do what I'm thinking of?

Thanks, guys.

AngleWyrm

It could be done by abstracting the events into social interactions.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

jamaicancastle

Possibly Rumors and Deception (workshop link; I didn't see it on the forums) has something you could study? It definitely contains a lot of relationship-related thoughts, jobs, workers, and the like.

Two_Bit_Magician

Thanks for the advice, I ended up downloading R&D and it's very helpful.