Cannibalism needs more... depth

Started by tbrass, May 03, 2014, 01:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrass

I have a large colony of 12 settlers who, by day 90, subsist primarily on meals of human meat, taters, and berries. I am a little worried about their fiber intake, but more about the fact that this has had no impact on any of their relations.

Just as our colonists can learn skills, they should be able to learn new traits (e.g. cannibalism, sadism, and happy, friendly ones too :-p) These traits should have profound impact on inter-colony relations as well as extra-colonial relations when the relevant activities are observed.

For instance, at first, most of my colonists should have reacted negatively toward the cannibalism. Possibly to the point of fighting with each other. But, as food supplies grew scarce, the readily available raider meat would begin to look more appealing. Especially as a fancy meal. And soon there would be a bonded group of friends who would never give each other a cold shoulder.

External factions that observe the butchering (or potentially the prepared meat supplies) would have strong reactions based on their own cannibalism trait. (say, an immediate 50 point change to relations).

Thoughts?

Oh, and some (randomly generated) characters should be nonconvertible. Some religions/traits may forbid/demand cannibalism, among other things.

Flebe

Great Idea but I would say dont make all of the Cannibalism traits bad... I mean yea sure Hannibal Lecter eats people But hes got a lot of culture :') so maybe the Quality of the meal so if its paste they would be there with gut wrenching dismay but if it was a Lavish meal in a beautiful dining hall then they could live with it. I mean the fought hard for it they could enjoy it with out being total basters :')
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.

Col_Jessep

I really like your idea that cannibalism should influence your standing with other factions. Maybe a tribe has ritual cannibalism and is okay with it while their neighbor tribe (often ending up on the plate) might hate you for it. A colony that has gone through hard times might be understanding as long as you don't eat their dudes while another declares war immediately.

The positive or negative impact of all influences on their thoughts should diminish for veteran colonists imo. I think you will get used to fancy carpets, burying raiders by the dozen or eating them - eventually. Probably. I'm not up for testing that theory. xD

Planetary Annihilation Imminent

tbrass

Oh, the idea of a gastronomic trait associated with cannibalism just tickles. Being cultured seems unconnected, but a cultured cannibal ought to really enjoy food.

In any case, I definitely think that cannibals stick together and should have a rather positive relationship boost just for sharing a desire for lavish raider pie.