Will my New PC Run Rimworld Well? And FPS question.

Started by viperwasp, July 07, 2017, 03:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viperwasp

Thanks for the advice Bozobub it's would have been very helpful if I did use raid. But Renegrade is correct they are both independent. Let me describe my whole setup. 

I have a dual monitor PC setup. (I used to use three but one blew up. Two works for now.) With a PCI-E Capture Card in my PC. I have an HDMI Matrix hooked up to various video game systems that can dual output to both my T.V and to the PCI-E Capture Card. I use my SSD for O.S, various programs and certain select games. My first 4TB Hard Drive carries the bulk of my other programs and most if not nearly all pictures and video files and games. The second 4TB drive is eventually going to have around 1-2TB of project files. And the other 2TB or more will always be left empty for a blank slate for recording. I use various programs to record both PC games and console games onto my PC. The uncompressed files are large then I compress them later. So the 2TB is temp room for recordings and the other 2TB is for the final compressed projects. 

As for backup it's not automated by raid or program. I simply have multiple external hard drives. And I keep about three copies of very important files. And two copies of nearly all files. Only files I really don't consider important at all may have no backups. But 99.9% of all files are backup up and a lot of them have 3+ copies.

And Renegrade I see what you mean by Userbenchmark I personally trust it but now that you mention it if the owner did want to put malicious content in the software I guess they could. That goes for most sites and programs though. And while it's Benchmark aspects are kind of awesome I do use other programs as well. You can't always rely on one Benchmark. Your PC seems good and I agree spending tons of extra money for virtual the same performance is not that great of an idea. 

This PC of mine basically needs to last 7-8 years. I expect three years of high performance. 3 years after that of moderate performance, and then 1-3 years of usability but diminishing performance for any current gen game or program at that time. I do plan on three possible upgrades.

1. Adding capture card? : You see I don't actually have the capture card yet. My previous PC has one but my primary setup is not complete for my new PC yet. Within one month I plan to buy and install a capture card. Any advice on a good PCI-E capture card? I am still doing research.

2. I will be upgrading my video card to a good $500-$800 price range card over 1 and a half years from now.

3. I plan to upgrade my CPU cooling and or CPU if possible. I know it's possible to upgrade cooling but I want like a eight core 4.2Ghz or higher CPU basically something that does not exist now without overclocking and by the time it does exist it may not be supported by my motherboard. So I may only upgrade my cooling and then overclock my 7700k.

P.S I know GHZ itself means nothing. Like I think you were saying about Moore's law. More is not always better. Different CPU's with the same Ghz can perform extremely differently. But usually if it's within the same brand and product lineup then it can be considered a proper way to measure performance. So when comparing two cpu's it's important to look at price, performance in benchmark and specs. But I ultimately want to eventually get a CPU that has eight or more cores were each individual core can be as powerful as the 7700k. Which like I said overclocking is the only possible way to achieve that now and I may not be able to support a CPU like that with my current motherboard I might get close but not quite what I want. I am happy right now.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Bozobub

With proper cooling, many recent Intel chips will push nearly 5 GHz or even over; even with "only" good air cooling, you can get a LOT of headroom out of most Intel chips.  For example, I was able to push my last Core2Quad (last generation of 'em, "Yorkfield") from 3.0 GHz to just under 4 GHZ (just under 33%), with only a (large!) after-market CPU cooler and fan :o.
Thanks, belgord!

viperwasp

Thanks Bozobub I totally plan on trying overclocking once my PC can support it.
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS

Bozobub

Don't overclock until you *need to* for some reason; don't just do it out of the blue.  O/Cing is a large stress on your CPU and other components (most overclocking boosts FSB frequencies, for example, although there are ways to avoid this) and will inevitably shorten the life of your CPU by some unknown fraction ???.

I'm not saying "don't do it", mind you.  But your CPU and GPU honestly shouldn't need any overclocking for a good, long while.
Thanks, belgord!

viperwasp

I finally updated my first Rimworld video. It has an FPS display. You can see how my computer handles the game. This video is more of a test it's not what I would consider a proper benchmark it's just going to show how my game plays under certain situations. I also had to test the recording software, editing and upload process. And it's also just to show you all my colony as well. In the future I hope to put up a more concrete thought out video with more purpose. Take a look if your interested.

[A17] Rimworld [Modded]: Performance on I7 7700k & Benchmarking first look discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj7vvQt5naw

And also
I agree Bozobub but I would overclock now if I could any more performance from Rimworld and other single core programs would be awesome.
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS

klun222

Dude I have an anchient i5 520m on a laptop and an Nvidia with 500 mb vram and rimworld works great up to having 30 pawns.

SpaceDorf

@viperwasp

sorry your new pc totally sucks, and you should rather buy another one, than trying to play Rimworld on this one.
I would gladly take this old junk from your hands.   ;D ;D ;D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Praeses

How does it run without mods? Wouldn't be surprised if some mod is slowing things down... :)

Mutineer

When I first time got Rimworld I was using 16-bit computer from 2008. Rimworld runs well. CPU speed did not change much, Graphic cost is small. So, I believe so long as you have enough memory and memory is fast enough it will run well.

Bozobub

Quote from: Jake on August 05, 2017, 08:12:40 PM
You'd be unlikely to get less than 30FPS in late-game Dwarf Fortress with a rig like that!
Yeah, no.  I DOUBLE-DOG DARE you to let a big colony of Dorfs invent the gold economy.  Oh ye gods, the stuttering agony!  Even a Cray supercomputer would poop itself!  More serously, less than 1 FPS is easily possible on a monster rig with a very large (say, 250 Dorfs) colony =x .

And only the Elder Gods can help you if you have a catsplosion at the same time...the horror...the horror...
Thanks, belgord!

StupidityHurts

A Cooler Master MasterCase PRO 5 with FreeForm Modular System?  That should run RimWorld at around 370FPS (at 320x200).

I was looking at getting a Cooler Master MasterCase PRO 5 with FreeForm Modular System myself, but in the end I decided on an Even Cooler Master Masterly MasterCase Master PRO 7.  Sure, it was $400 extra for the go-faster stripes and annoying LEDs, but hey, I'm worth it, and I'm sure my life will be much better now!  :'(

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Mutineer on November 08, 2017, 01:29:23 AM
When I first time got Rimworld I was using 16-bit computer from 2008. Rimworld runs well. CPU speed did not change much, Graphic cost is small. So, I believe so long as you have enough memory and memory is fast enough it will run well.

May have missed some context, but you ARE joking right? About having a 16 bit computer? When was the last 16 bit computer made, the intel 386 about 25 - 30 years ago? And even that wasn't completely a 16 bit computer, so probably the 286?

AFAIK, you certainly weren't running Rimworld on any 16 bit computer. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'd certainly be interested in what you had going on.

edit: (looking at the response just above mine by StupidityHurts I'm thinking there is a running gag going on about nonsense specs. Namely the 320x200 in this case)

Mutineer

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on November 08, 2017, 10:47:45 AM
Quote from: Mutineer on November 08, 2017, 01:29:23 AM

May have missed some context, but you ARE joking right? About having a 16 bit computer? When was the last 16 bit computer made, the intel 386 about 25 - 30 years ago? And even that wasn't completely a 16 bit computer, so probably the 286?

AFAIK, you certainly weren't running Rimworld on any 16 bit computer. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'd certainly be interested in what you had going on.

edit: (looking at the response just above mine by StupidityHurts I'm thinking there is a running gag going on about nonsense specs. Namely the 320x200 in this case)
I did mean 32 bits. Misspell as I am rather old. But gust of my post is valid, My old system run at 4 MG, like new computers. In last 8 years change to 64 bits with the development of multithreading, more effective cash, faster memory access and a bit more complex commands speed up processors a bit, but for rim world, it is not much of a problem. So long as your system not paging you are fine on 32-bit computer.

viperwasp

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 10, 2017, 08:02:23 AM
@viperwasp

sorry your new pc totally sucks, and you should rather buy another one, than trying to play Rimworld on this one.
I would gladly take this old junk from your hands.   ;D ;D ;D

Sorry for the late reply. I am sure you would just LOVE for me to abandon my new PC and give it to you! lol I loved your comment thanks. I sort of gave up on FPS for now. Mainly because I don't even have a working program that can do FPS tests. I used to use Fraps but I don't think it works well anymore on Windows 10. umm.... So for now I am putting this on hold.
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS