Vanilla trick: Automatic wild plant harvesting

Started by Chibiabos, June 17, 2017, 10:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozobub

Again, no, you're simply confused.  That doesn't work if the plants in question are in the middle of where you want your actual farming zone(s), unless you like wasting all that space to harvest a few wild plants.
Thanks, belgord!

erdrik

Quote from: Bozobub on June 18, 2017, 08:47:16 PM
Again, no, you're simply confused.  That doesn't work if the plants in question are in the middle of where you want your actual farming zone(s), unless you like wasting all that space to harvest a few wild plants.
I don't think they care about areas they plan to grow actual farming zones.
I believe the point is auto harvesting the wilds.

The Nickman

Wow, this is an absolutely fantastic tip, and one that I've never thought of.  Going to definitely do this as a matter of rote from now on.  Thanks!

Snafu_RW

Quote from: Rimrue on June 18, 2017, 08:32:46 PM
Snafu, I think that was just poorly worded. Creating a growing zone over the ambrosia and disabling the whole thing works just fine for me. :) No need to punch holes in it created individual growing zones. By disabling sowing, growers don't cut the grass or trees either.
Tks; I thought I must be going mad! :) I'm not bothered about trees or other plants as such, but if an Ambrosia event happens I want to get as much as possible from it before it expires without too much micro; I can always replant common crops later if desired (even if all I do is sell the product..)

JOOI Ambrosia seems to be immune to toxic fallout, temp, poison ship & blight events, perhaps because it's 'native', or because the event only affects your grow zone(s)*? I've just had another Ambrosia event, so I'll keep an eye out for what happens, RNG wiling..

*Poorly worded I know, but I hope YKWIM..
Dom 8-)

milon

Wow!!  I need to try that!

Also, I would personally use a large growing zone (harvest-disabled of course), and then manually set all the non-desirables to be Cut.  That way the wild stuff I want has more room to grow, and still gets harvested automagically.  :)

Vlad0mi3r

This "Trick" is one of the best tips I have come across. I now use it all the time with my caravans when dropped into a base or mining out a valuable resource event. Loop and group your plants for harvest, tick no sowing and the pawns take care of the rest.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503