Pawn pathing to prioritize roofed areas when Toxic fallout event takes place

Started by Yoshida Keiji, July 11, 2017, 07:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

The title is self explanatory in my opinion, but I see characters going by the outer side of my base instead of sheltering by walking from within. Pathing was made too poorly and needs improvement.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=973186309

jamaicancastle

I'd recommend using an allowed area to keep your pawns inside the roofed area. You can turn it on and off temporarily if people need to do jobs outside.

gaf

I think that Yoshida has a point, but that this could be made a more general suggestion about how colonists pick paths:
That the pathing should take some sort of "comfort" calculation into account when picking paths. This "comfort" aspect could include things like avoiding uncomfortable temperatures, rain, acid rain etc. So that if possible, more comfortable routes are chosen. The weight this comfort aspect is given could then depend on if the colonist is drafted (giving speed more priority) or not (giving comfort more priority).

SpaceDorf

Quote from: gaf on July 12, 2017, 11:50:58 AM
I think that Yoshida has a point, but that this could be made a more general suggestion about how colonists pick paths:
That the pathing should take some sort of "comfort" calculation into account when picking paths. This "comfort" aspect could include things like avoiding uncomfortable temperatures, rain, acid rain etc. So that if possible, more comfortable routes are chosen. The weight this comfort aspect is given could then depend on if the colonist is drafted (giving speed more priority) or not (giving comfort more priority).

This sounds absolutely convincing.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Lowkey1987

Sounds good!

But could give a problem. I have read some threats about "good" pathfinding. And "good" means more CPU power.

I see bugs like, pawns make a longer way because there is a cave, which is roofed. I dont think, it is that easy