[Mod Idea Feedback] Improved Melee for ranged weapon holders

Started by Kilroy232, July 11, 2017, 11:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilroy232

I am thinking of making a mod that would create a new gear item for pawns to wear. It would be a belt with a knife on it and it would allow pawns that are using a ranged weapon to have this knife to use if they are engaged in melee combat instead of just punching. It would give a bit of an edge to pawns if they are attacked by wild animals or enemy pawns.

I need some feedback on the idea though as I have lots of thoughts but I would like to know if others have similar thoughts.

1. Should pawns need to meet a minimum melee combat level before they are allowed to use this knife belt? Should there be any other restrictions?
2. What would you like to see the gear look like? (I would love a few test images if any graphic designers wanna draw up examples, I am not an impressive artist)
3. Would you use this mod if it worked as suggested?

Razzoriel

Quote from: Kilroy232 on July 11, 2017, 11:18:27 AM
1. Should pawns need to meet a minimum melee combat level before they are allowed to use this knife belt? Should there be any other restrictions?
2. What would you like to see the gear look like? (I would love a few test images if any graphic designers wanna draw up examples, I am not an impressive artist)
3. Would you use this mod if it worked as suggested?
1. Why would you put a skill restriction on using a knife? Do you see it being placed on shield/smokepop belts?
2. I wouldn't bother with the aesthetics, though a very simple, small knife holster on the pawn's hip would work.
3. No. There are way better solutions for the "ranged pawn can't carry melee weapons" conundrum. Your idea is inferior in execution and planning. Nevertheless, it -is- an attempt at solving the whole problem, so might work depending on the stats of such belt, who gets to wear it, how much it costs and so forth..

Kilroy232

Quote from: Canute on July 11, 2017, 01:44:10 PM
Why do you want made a new mod, when basicly a similar mod allready exist ?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32497.0

I had seen this when I went to see if something already existed but this mod is complicated and involved, I want to make something simple to use. Equip a piece of gear and continue on

No. There are way better solutions for the "ranged pawn can't carry melee weapons" conundrum. Your idea is inferior in execution and planning. Nevertheless,
Fair enough, but what would you say are some of the better solutions to this issue, what would make this a better idea in your eyes?

Razzoriel

SimpleSidearms is highly customizable in this regard. You should play a little with it and see if it solves your issues. Combat Extended also allows weapon swapping.

Finally, I think that with minimal .dll coding one can simply add the option for pawns to carry weapons with their gear, then adding the option to equip melee weapons they are carrying and drop their ranged weapons automatically. Then again, SimpleSidearms does exactly that.

Canute

Quote from: Kilroy232 on July 11, 2017, 03:45:59 PM
Quote from: Canute on July 11, 2017, 01:44:10 PM
Why do you want made a new mod, when basicly a similar mod allready exist ?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32497.0

I had seen this when I went to see if something already existed but this mod is complicated and involved, I want to make something simple to use. Equip a piece of gear and continue on
Complocated ?? Rimworld itself is far more complicated then this mod.
Maybe just turn off that weapons get droped at the mod settings and your mod request is solved.