Questions about world and map seeds

Started by stigma, July 09, 2017, 12:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stigma

Hey all,

Just a few random questions about world and map seeds that I have rattling around in my brain. I'd love it is anyone knew the answers to these:

- Why is it that the same world-seed can generate different worlds? Many times they are quite similar, but many things are different too. Isn't half the point of a seed to be able to re-create the same thing? Is there a way to do that?..

- Is there a way to see a map (map-tile) seed? Is there a way to re-create a map from such a seed? Maybe via the devmode tools or something?

If I find a very interesting map, but then decide I have to re-start because I added a mod that requires a fresh game it would be very nice to be able to just re-make the same map. I wouldn't be too surprised if something like this existed in the devmode (or maybe a mod?), but there are so many functions that it is hard to discover everything you can do with random testing :)

-Stigma

SpaceDorf

- some mods change worldgen options. This leads to different looking maps from different seeds.
Positions of Settlements, Faction Names and to some part Faction distribution is generated randomly and differs from creation to creation ( which is good in my eyes, if a settlement is on exact the spot you wanted for yourself )
And I have the feeling that some items in mods have a effect on worldgen as well.
Mainly minable ressources and stonetypes. ( don't quote me on this )

- In the world overview you should find the world seed under the "world" tab to the left.
If the world is created identical, the map tiles will be identical too. ( except for minable ressources, plants, geysers and secret rooms )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.