On MacOS, resolution changes every time you start the game

Started by gaf, July 12, 2017, 11:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaf

I know this has been reported before, but in previous threads it has been indicated that it would be fixed in A17, and it hasn't for me at least.

I play on a Mac with a 1080p (1920x1080) monitor, and each time the game launches it seems to be the correct resolution at first, then during the first "..." loading phase it changes the resolution to 1920x1058 for some reason. So each time I start the game I have to go back into the settings and switch it back to 1080p again to get the correct resolution.

Previously (A16?) it would start with some other even more incorrect resolution (like 1200x920 or something like that), so I guess A17 is better than before, but it's still not the right resolution that is used the next launch.

wijnandguns

Hi,
Love the game!
The game always boots up with a resolution of 1280x778 ever since playing it on my macbook pro 13" early 2015.
I always have to switch it manually to 1280x800 through the options menu. I can chose several of the standard resolutions, but not again 1280x778  :D
Part of the screen is missing on 1280x778 so it is definitely not the correct one for this machine.
Bought Rimworld through Steam.
I play with mods now, but not before. It always happens regardless.
Please fix if possible. Thanks a lot and keep up the great work!
Wijnand

Moderator's edit (Calahan) - Merged this thread with the existing thread for this bug.

troppo

Whenever I start up RimWorld (steam) on my 5k iMac it defaults to a weird resolution of 2560x1418.  I change it to 5k in options and it keeps the 5k resolution until i quit and reload the game, and its back at the weird 2560x1418 setting again.
Any idea how I can get it to stick to the settings I choose?

Also, in the resolution menu, there isn't even an option to choose 2560x1418 so not sure why the game starts with it at that resolution.

Moderator's edit (Calahan) - Merged this thread with the existing thread for this bug.

ison

gaf

Sorry for not replying earlier, but I use 1x interface scaling. I've also started to use some mods now, and seemingly at random this also seems to affect this bug. When re-launching after changing what mods are enabled the game now launches at a different resolution and once in windowed mode instead of fullscreen.

Now it starts at 1920x982 each time (which isn't even an option in settings), instead of the proper 1920x1080. It's like it only saves the width of the previously used resolution correctly and then makes incorrect assumptions about the aspect ratio and sets the wrong height.

ison

Okay, thank you everyone for the info.

Currently the resolution is handled by Unity, it looks like we'll have to save it manually and reapply on game start.

afit

Load RimWorld, set it to 5,120 x 2,880 at 2.5x UI scale and play.

If I close the game and load it again, it'll come up in 2,560 x 1,418 at 2.5x.

I see <uiScale/> in `Prefs.xml`, but no resolution setting.

This is the case for the 1.0 unstable, B18, and older builds, without any mods.

If I change the resolution to 1,024 x 768 at 1x UI, the resolution setting is preserved each time I load it; it just seems to be that when I use a resolution over 2,560 that it gets forgetful.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

This may be the cause of some MacOS resolution-on-startup issues people are reporting.

Two threads merged with new info from afit.

rimppa

Yeah hi. I've got this problem (I'm assuming it's a bug in the vanilla game because it appears without mods installed as well) where every time that I open the game the resolution jumps to 1440x779 all by itself and I have to go to the options and select the right resolution. It's getting a tad bit annoying since I literally have to do this every single time I want to play/update the mod list/whatever. Is there a solution to this?

I'm using the Steam OSx version of the game.

Canute

Hi,
at last one little info OSX thats Mac.
But could you please at last attach the an error log, that give a bit more informations.
Read
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0
to locate them.

rimppa

Here you go!

Quote from: Canute on September 16, 2018, 12:58:51 PM
Hi,
at last one little info OSX thats Mac.
But could you please at last attach the an error log, that give a bit more informations.
Read
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0
to locate them.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Tynan