Idea: Alien/ Mutant Wildlife (HOSTILE PLANET)

Started by Axebeard, July 13, 2017, 02:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axebeard

Short and sweet, I'd love to replace all of the boring Earth creatures in the game with more interesting exotic lifeforms. I'm a digital painter, and I could do graphics in no time at all, but I am veeeery new to messing with Rimworld and adding in creatures looks to be a PITA. If anyone wants to link up and make this happen, let me know and I'll start on some graphics.

My short list of creatures:
Bullsquids & Gonarches from Half Life (maybe Headcrabs)
Bloodsuckers, Fleshes, maybe Blind Dogs, maybe Dwarves/Burer from STALKER (I'd like to mostly avoid humanoids).
Anything else that looks cool, including some random stuff I could draw up.

I think the best way to make this thing accessible to everyone is to have a version that replaces all the vanilla creatures, and another version that adds in the new ones without replacing anything.

So uh, yeah. Let me know!

minimurgle

I wouldn't mind giving you a hand. With patching you wouldn't even need to replace vanilla creatures they could just be removed.

Of course my ability to help depends on how indepth you want creature abilities to be. If you want plain headcrabs I can do that. If you want headcrabs that attach to people, I might be able to but probably not. IDK though I'd have to take a proper look.
Don't mind the questions. I'm probably just confused.

Axebeard

I'm all for starting basic, it's mostly an aesthetic thing for me. All the weird aliens can just have basic melee attacks, maybe the Bullsquid does his acid spit that deteriorates clothes and such if it's easy enough to implement. But I would be cool with just having "balanced" (as in not bullet spongey) creatures. I'll do a few sprites and post em up here some time today.

minimurgle

Sounds good. Incase you didnt know you'll need front, back, and right side.

Axebeard

Yeah, I'm going off some other animal mods I picked up to try and dissect them.

Here's a bullsquid I whipped up in about 30 minutes:

minimurgle

That's looking really good. Keep in mind that while it does look awesome it'll be down-scaled in the end. So a lot of the detail may not be noticed.

Axebeard

Yeah, I'm aware. I was surprised at how big some of the vanilla sprites were, so I just used them as a base.

minimurgle

Okay. Just wanted to make sure you didn't feel your effort ended up wastes. It looks really nice.

minimurgle

It's not super difficult but I figure I'd show that I can at the very least add the creatures.

Even if it's my own special texture :p

Axebeard

It's a start hah! I don't know anything about how the stats work in Rimworld really, so as long as the creatures are vaguely similar stat wise to vanilla things it should work just fine. I was going to base the Bullsquid on the Panther probably, and probably make it slower and give the correct hide.

kaptain_kavern

Hello you two.

Just to say you both I can help a bit if needed; -)
If you keep posting in here I will have a look, else don't hesitate to PM me.

I know my way around animals (as long as we're just talking XML ;-)

Axebeard

Hey man, if you want to stat up a creature and post it as a minimod, by all means be my guest.

tyriaelsoban

Workshop search "Tiberium Rim" ... install, watch tiberium turn all of the animals into mutants.
Enjoy as 100 viscerioids decide they want to kill you because of something someone else did to them.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=884016828