I'm about to conduct my first attack on a colony tonight!

Started by RimSol, July 14, 2017, 10:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RimSol

It's been a long time coming for these people of The Tree.

Their tribe of savages relentlessly attacked my peaceful village for years and eventually killed my second in charge and most loved colonist in a freak accident headshot with a long bow.

I made it my goal (about a week ago in rl time, probably a few years IG) to find this tribes base and eradicate their entire civilization before they can do more harm to mine.

Their closest base was very far from mine. I launched 3 settlers the furthest I could be launched towards them which is about 6 tiles away (a days walk when the weather is nice, 3 days + in the winter). My second base is almost as nice as my first base now.

I scouted out the colony i'd be attacking and set up a very small base 2 tiles away so I could have an escape plan.

The base is multiple wooden buildings in a square shape and it's surrounded by tons of layered sand bags for relatively solid cover.

There were approximately 20 settlers armed with bows.

The buildings look like they're filled with loot- so I don't want to burn them down.

Their base is in the middle of their map and i'll be approaching from the top right corner, with a small square building that is just missing a door. I plan on using that as on site protection and using a mortar to cause as much outside damage as I can.

Will they rush me? I'll be outnumbered probably 2:1 or 2.5:1 with approximately 6-8 heavily armed soldiers against 20-25 tribes people.

Any strategy I can take to make this a flawless victory would be greatly appreciated.

Am I able to take prisoners?

Thanks

stigma

I don't have enough experience with player-raids honestly, but keep in mind that you can essentially do anything on those away-maps that you can do at home - and I don't think they go out of their way to immediately attack you unless provoked (I assume they will attack at some point if you start mortaring though).

So bring some building essentials and set up a good fallback location with good cover, some steel for sandbags and whatnot. Maybe even prep the area a little by removing the best cover your enemies are likely to take in return. The difference between a well prepped area vs random terrain cover will turn the fight heavily in your favor. A few makeshift bunkers with some back-exits that allow for partially falling back those that are getting overwhelmed also not a bad idea. A few traps maybe even?

If you are successful you will have to carry a lot home though. Remember you can harvest some raw materials on-site fairly quickly in most cases - like some wood to build some fortifications or narrow a chockepoint.

Against tribals your greatest strength is superior effective range - so use long clear sightlines.
Your greatest weakness is numbers and being swarmed - so have a fallback route (doors are typically unrivaled for this purpose).

Good luck! (it would be sweet if you put it on youtube or something, I am also curious about how those raids work out in practice) :)

-Stigma

Instill

Best strat for easy raid is bring 4 good soldier and a few wolf/dog or better.

With 4 soldier and 8-10 wolf i can clear 3 outpost / colony and you will only lose some animal

Vlad0mi3r

stigma has the good oil on this one. clear line of site, keep to or build cover (I like to use chunks for cover in my raids. Lay out a straight line of dumping ground stockpile and then assign the chunks you want moved to haul. You can remove their cover while making your own), You won't have more than 24hrs before they attack so don't get to caught up building stuff that wont help in the fight.

Unlike every other encounter you only get 24hrs (If someone can tell me why I get 7 days to dig up a resource tile but 24hrs to clear out of a base it would be good to know) once you win in order to secure any loot and heal injuries. So you will need to work fast to get those injuries fixed. If you don't get everyone fixed in time or you find yourself with infections "yay infections" just move off one tile and "settle a new colony" don't try to get back home or you will loose some of your crew. I lost 3 of my best this way :'(.

Good luck
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

RimSol

Thanks guys! I'm stoked. I am going to take both pieces of advice tonight.

I didn't know about the 24 hour timer.

How long would you say I have before they attack me if I don't fire first?

Plan is to add a door to that large sizeable building in the corner of the map I enter from, lay down a couple medical sleeping spots, unload food, use stone blocks for cover and use mortars/long range machine gun in cleared space as they attack. If I get overwhelmed, I'll send my guys into the little stronghold to regain our advantage.

Vlad0mi3r

They will give you about 24hrs before moving to attack you.

Also you probably will not want to wait this long. Odds are your pawns will start to suffer mental breaks if you take to long for some reason you can have 0 joy when you arrive somewhere. 

They should have some beds setup in the compound so plan to use them for your medical needs. Everyone else on the floor in sleeping spots.

Assign your animals a specific area out of the way. Muffalo's don't belong in the middle of a fire fight.

One last thing when you arrive make sure your Medic (please go with more than one medic) has medicine on them. You can do this by getting your pack animal to drop it and then assigning your medic to pick up a certain amount. then put the rest back on your pack animals this will stop it deteriorating. Then your medic wont be wasting time running back and forth, you can tell them to drop it in the field hospital after the attack.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

stigma

Joy sounds almost like a bug (thought I suppose a long travel isn't very fun).

Shouldn't be too hard to fix though. With just a few units of wood you can set up a horeshoe-stick and have them enjoy themselves for an hour or two if you can afford the time that is...

But yea, probably a good idea to not stick around longer than you have to in a situation involving combat - because pain and possibly "ally death" debuffs can certainly stack badly with the already lackluster mood you will have from lacking all of the luxuries of home base.

SPeaking of which - do away-teams get the "low expectations" bonus to mood? I'd imagine they kind of should given that this map tile they are on is not wealthy for them. Otherwise keeping their moods up will be quite difficult for more than short period I imagine.

Bringing just a few beers and smokeweed to mellow people out as needed - especially after the battle - is probably not a bad idea. Those are some sizable mood buffs that should last long enough to do what you need to get done - and it's fairly easy, cheap, and relatively safe as far as drugs go. Just don't get people stoned before the battle lol...

-Stigma

RimSol

Streaming. Battle won't be for a bit- need to finish winter season. goal is to have it begin tonight.

https://www.twitch.tv/shokta13

Nainara

If you've been hoarding psychic shock/insanity lances, consider packing them along in case things get ugly. Bring a psychic animal pulser and a stack of wood to wall your crew up if you need a backup nuclear option, but only use it if you're willing to sacrifice the loot.

Yoshida Keiji

Battle was good, you fought 3:1 and won thats something!

That was my first Twitch watch and don't know if you can reply like video but I think I saw your sniper manning the mortar... of course you were caught while your guys were sleeping and managed to rush things but kinda better to keep your sniper shooting than at the mortar.

Whenever invading an outpost you can stay until 0.1 and reform the caravan. I usually stay at their base so that I can heal my guys, mostly because I travel like up to 7 days instead of making outpost just a few tiles away...its like too much work for little, but since it was your first attack thats okay.

The game is kinda tricky to capture a base, because the doors get the option to claim them only after reaching a close proximity range and you cannot see that until get there, so its understandable why your first reaction was to deconstruct.

Once you claim their rooms, you can turn them into hospital or prison to capture their downed.

Good game.

pktongrimworld

RimSol

Thanks for watching guys. If you click the link about, you can see the attack! I beat them 3:1 without any deaths (actually lost 3 pets) and just a few minor bumps and bruises.

The stone clearing/barricade worked perfectly. I spread out my gunners and sent my pets in to "tank". They never made it to my back line, or even my middle line.

I think I have the most advanced tribe during this game and the computer has stopped attacking me completely- so there is little to no challenge. I turned the difficulty up to extreme and will see if it makes a difference.

RimSol

Yoshi- regarding the sniper, I believe her shooting skill was like 4 and it was a mistake to begin with handing her the sniper rifle from a previous engagement. I figured her 4 shooting skill armed with a sniper rifle would be a perfect candidate to man the mortar!

I haven't had much luck with snipers, TBH.

Yoshida Keiji

I watched the replay, and noticed you missed a room, all the big treasure could have been laying there...oh well...