How much much does items on the floor slow you down?

Started by stigma, July 14, 2017, 12:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stigma

Hey all,

Quick question - What are the rules governing how movement speed is affected by items on the ground? I am not talking about special items like chunks, but just normal stuff like wood, meals, leathers and whatever else.

- Does it slow you down, and if so, by how much? (in a quick test, walking on full stacks of wood seemed to be only 50% of normal speed)

- Does it matter how many items there are in the stack?

- Does the terrain under matter also? ie. is a wooden floor with a wood stack much faster than a marsh with a wood stack? Or is only the worst penalty of the two considered?

- Does the type of item matter, outside of the special exceptions like chunks?

My OCD demands answers! :D

The only thing I can conclude so far is that it seems prudent to leave dedicated walkways free of stuff whenever possible since moving around to worktasks is one of the biggest time-wasters. It also seems like a good idea in general to have walkways everywhere pawns have to travel on a regular basis.
It would be really nice to know more specific information though

-Stigma

jamaicancastle

I spent some time digging around and these are my conclusions:

- The default speed of a pawn is 13 ticks to move one cell orthogonally, or 18 ticks diagonally.
- Modifiers are applied for the terrain, snow, and each individual item or object on the tile. These are listed in XML in the form of pathCosts, which are added to the number of ticks the tile takes to traverse. (Snow pathCosts are listed in C# instead but work the same way; they depend on the snow depth.) All of these modifiers apply, not just the worst.
- The pathCost of a typical resource object is 15. Chairs are 30. Most types of walkable furniture (beds, tables) appear to be 60. Any given item can have a different pathCost if its XML dictates. Multiple objects (e.g. resources sitting on a chair) count separately, but the stack size of an object doesn't appear to be considered.
- This means that a typical path through an area full of junk costs 13 (base) + 15 (item) = 28 ticks per tile, about twice as long as normal. A path through an area that's full of junk and a marsh costs 13 (base) + 15 (item) + 23 (marsh) = 51 ticks per tile, about four times normal.

stigma

This matches with what I've observed - but it is very useful to get some raw numbers on it to back it up.
Very cool man! :)

One of the things I was trying to figure out was if optimal walkways around your base would be diagonal - but it seems Tynan correctly factored in (aproximately) how much longer the diagonal is. Also, I guess it's a viable strategy to lay out junk to slow down enemies. Build some stone floors and deconstruct them and forbid the bricks to leave 1-2 bricks pr square and halve enemy speed. I guess you could build some cheap stools or something too, but that's potential cover. In any case, halving speed is very useful to knmow about from just simple items.

It means you definitely should be careful about keeping walkways clean, make sure rooms are not covered by one big stockpile ect. so people can walk around in there.

-Stigma