[A17] FuckFriendlyFire

Started by venner, July 14, 2017, 09:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonra

Quote from: venner on July 19, 2017, 08:07:28 PM
Quote from: moonra on July 19, 2017, 03:19:48 PM
What do you think would be the best way to configure this to make a skilled shooter be unlikely to shoot a friend without making this an OP mod?

I've just updated the mod to have support for this.

Here's the mod settings menu:

That should give you an idea of how it works.

Thanks, I'll add the mod and mess with it a little.

Oblitus

Those settings are a new chance to hit when on the line of fire or modifier to vanilla chance?

venner

Quote from: Schwartz on July 20, 2017, 08:06:41 AM
Ran into a problem with this coupled with the Hospitality mod. A berserking visitor was impervious to bullets. I'm pretty sure he was punching my guys to death just fine though.

Yeah - the mod only affects bullets. I don't think that's related to the Hospitality mod though as berserks are vanilla. Will fix.

GngBngBus

wait, is swearing allowed on the forums? if so then Fuck Yea

stigma

Very nice to have the option. I was always annoyed by friendly fire in this game.

I mean - it's perfectly fine that it can happen if you are watching them fight and you risk firing into a melee or whatever - but when an important pawn just drops dead completely randomly because someone assigned to hunting felt it was fiiiine to open fire towards allies while hunting some squirrel - that just makes you annoyed and feel like you can't not constantly babysit them for fear of them literally being to dumb to live.

I think anyone who has ever tried to actually use "release animal" in combat knows the feeling... your pets shouldn't fear the enemy nearly as much as they should fear your pawns.

The "accidental hits" system in this game is also a bit wonky. If the hit chance is low and someone is in the line of fire - it is actually much more likely to accidentally hit the friendly than the intended target. Sometimes mechanically it is literally optimal to aim at some random spot behind the target.

I feel like the ideal balanced alternative to friendly fire ON would be to have aim be penalized whenever friendly fire would normally be a threat. It would simulate pretty well how conservative most people would be in their aim if they had allies in the line of fire. Better to not hit the enemy than to accidentally blow Bob's brains out. The higher chance the game would have given the friendly fire to happen - the higher the penalty. It would remove all the annoyances of friendly fire while keeping battles from being easier since having allies in the line of fire would still be just as bad an idea as before.

The mod as it stands is nice too though. I just feel it maybe removes some of the challange/fun along with the annoyances -  which is a shame.

Schwartz

Thanks for the fix!

What the game is lacking I believe is some judgement on the side of the pawns when to shoot and when not to. Like.. if there's a high probability to hit a friendly, the pawn should wait until he's passed the line of fire. Ideally with the weapon cooldown on 'pause' in the meanwhile rather than having to re-aim.

I don't find friendly fire in this game completely unrealistic btw. It happens a lot in real life. A friendly between you and your target is closer and therefore many times the size of the target. What the game doesn't have is different stances that would help with avoiding weapon fire from both sides. Crouching behind rocks, laying prone to help with long-range gun stability and concealment. Etc. Lots of cool stuff and I can't imagine they'd be hard to implement either. In the meantime, FFF helps.

stigma

Is this safe to add/remove in an ongoing save?
It kind of sounds like it would be - but I'd rather ask than run into trouble later :)

-Stigma

venner

Quote from: stigma on July 23, 2017, 12:01:09 PM
Is this safe to add/remove in an ongoing save?
It kind of sounds like it would be - but I'd rather ask than run into trouble later :)

-Stigma

Yeah, it's completely safe to add/remove in an ongoing save.

Oblitus

Does it support non-vanilla turrets? Looks like lazer turrets from Extended Turrets are not affected.

Rellicus

Doesn't seem to work with Combat Extended. Just lit my own guys up while taking on an infestation, lol.

Oblitus

It apparently does not work with custom projectiles.

Divenity

Quote from: Rellicus on August 10, 2017, 08:16:10 PM
Doesn't seem to work with Combat Extended. Just lit my own guys up while taking on an infestation, lol.

Truly wish this was CE compatible, friendly fire is absurd in this game... Then again if the AI wasn't stupid enough to keep shooting when an ally blocks line of sight to their target it wouldn't be an issue, the base game really needs that, we absolutely shouldn't need to worry about our own colonists shooting each other in the back.

sai05

hopefully owner update to v18 ^^

selmephren

Works for me with the A18.1719 unstable version.  Will be testing more with the new 18.1722 tonight.

MusicManiac

Love the mod name and the mod itself 10/10