[1.3] Megafauna (v1.4.4) - More cenozoic beasts! - (21.07.2021 - Update #9)

Started by Spino, July 15, 2017, 05:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spino

Megafauna v1.4.4 by Spino

There's a simple official wiki now: http://megafaunarimworld.wikia.com

No longer requires extra patches to be compatible with A Dog Said! Also compatible with Giddy-up!

Welcome! This is my first mod ever for Rimworld and if I don't end up being a mega-sloth (badumtss), not my last one either!
Please do inform me if you find any bugs etc.

Description:
Thanks to the wonders of today's technology, the small group of scientists that was previously known for bringing the Megatherium--
Uh, I mean, the Megasloth back to life, was able to make the Megafauna Project a reality!
This time around, they were able to recreate 38 different species of animals that used to inhabit planet Earth thousands to millions years ago.
...Was that a wise move? Who cares! Now we can all feast our eyes on those glorious beasts as they will slowly inevitably turn all the ecosystems we know upside-down!

Features:
38 new species of animals, all able to spawn naturally in different biomes:
- Arthropleura,
- Doedicurus,
- Daeodon,
- Gigantopithecus,
- Paraceratherium,
- Titanis,
- Titanoboa,
- Woolly Mammoth,
- Elasmotherium,
- Smilodon,
- Chalicotherium,
- Megaloceros,
- Procoptodon,
- Megalania,
- Gomphotaria,
- Diprotodon,
- Short-faced Bear,
- Dinocrocuta,
- Sivatherium,
- Andrewsarchus,
- Dinornis,
- Macrauchenia,
- Quinkana,
- Deinotherium,
- Aurochs,
- Megalochelys,
- Palaeeudyptes,
- Josephoartigasia,
- Gigantophis,
- Meganeura,
- Zygolophodon,
- Platybelodon,
- Purussaurus,
- Uintatherium,
- Pulmonoscorpius,
- Dinopithecus,
- Castoroides,
- Enhydriodon.

These animals are quite rare, and should be a good challenge to either tame or slay.
A lot of them can also be used as pack animals for a caravan (with paraceratherium being your new best caravan buddy!).
Wooly mammoth, elasmotherium, and josephoartigasia are shearable, and arthropleura, titanis, titanoboa, megalania, dinornis, quinkana, megalochelys, palaeeudyptes, gigantophis, meganeura, and purussaurus do lay eggs. Sivatherium, macrauchenia, aurochs cows, and uintatherium are milkable - sivatherium's milk is very nutritious and quite valuable!

Megafauna will automatically detect and patch both A Dog Said... by SpoonShortage and Giddy-up! by Roolo, so make sure to make it load after those mods.

Available languages:
- English,
- Polish.

Download:

CLICK!

Mirror: CLICK!
Steam Workshop: CLICK!

Old versions:

1.2:
CLICK!

1.1:
CLICK!

1.0:
CLICK!

B18:
CLICK!

A17:
CLICK!

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.
Note: if you are using A Dog Said... and/or Giddy-up, make sure to make Megafauna load AFTER those mods.

Credits:
Roolo - for great help with making Megafauna compatible with his Giddy-up mod.
Nightinggale - for his immensely useful ModCheck.

License:
You are allowed to use it in modpacks as long as you link either this topic or the steam workshop page. You're also allowed to make derivative mods based on this one for personal use.

Changelog:

21.07.2021 - Update #9:
         - updated to be compatible with Rimworld 1.3.
10.10.2020 - Update #8:
         - updated to be compatible with Rimworld 1.2.
23.03.2020 - Update #7.5:
         - brought back A Dog Said... compatibility,
         - hopefully fixed a bunch of errors people were getting.
22.03.2020 - Update #7:
         - updated to be compatible with Rimworld 1.1.
13.09.2019 - Update #6.5:
         - replaced the ModCheck .dll with the most recent release / updated the "About" file to make sure it doesn't throw any errors.
03.11.2018 - Update #6:
         - changed the name of the "ScorpionLike" body type to fix compatibility issues with AnimalCollabProject,
         - changed the intelligence level of smilodon and dinocrocuta to advanced, to match the change made to vanilla's cougar and panther,
         - changed the intelligence level of pulmonoscorpius to advanced.
01.11.2018 - Update #5:
         - updated to be compatible with Rimworld 1.0,
         - all animals now have unique dessicated sprites,
         - a lot of small changes intended to help with the balance, like lower hunger rates for predators or sizes of groups some of the animals can spawn in,
         - added 15 (!) more animals.
06.04.2018 - Update #4:
         - there is a simple official megafauna wiki now: http://megafaunarimworld.wikia.com!
         - actually made all the animals less rare - turns out that the last time I made the spawn chances about 5-8 times lower than I intended, oops,
         - minor changes to some of the animals' stats,
         - woolly mammoth's name is no longer misspelled.
20.12.2017 - Update #3:
         - updated to be compatible with Rimworld Beta 18,
         - no longer requires an additional patch to be compatible with A Dog Said..., it will now automatically detect it and patch all the necessary stuff in,
         - also comes with a built-in patch for Giddy-up!,
         - daeodon, titanis, titanoboa, smilodon, procoptodon, gomphotaria, short-faced bear, and dinocrocuta are no longer pack animals (can't be used to carry stuff in caravans),
         - very minor tweaks to a few animals in regards to their body size and meat/leather yield,
         - some of the animals can now spawn in the new swamp-type biomes (titanoboa's no longer exclusive to the tropical rainforest!),
         - some of the older animals such as arthropleura and doedicurus now have their own body types instead of using unfitting vanilla ones,
         - some of the older animals won't be sold by traders anymore, in order to make obtaining them feel more special, those being: paraceratherium, titanoboa, elasmotherium, megalania, gomphotaria, and short-faced bear.
         - added 4 more animals.
22.08.2017 - Update #2:
         - fixed problems with breeding arthropleura (hopefully...?),
         - reduced meat/leather yield of almost all the animals,
         - finally added the max body sizes of prey the predators will hunt,
         - slight changes as to what biomes the animals can spawn in,
         - changed entelodont's name to daeodon as it is more specific and therefore more fitting.
         - added 5 more animals.
01.08.2017 - Update #1:
         - dropped support for A Dog Said... Easy Patcher (now requires a separate compatibility patch for A Dog Said..., which adds the feature of healing old wounds on animals)
         - reduced spawn rates of the creatures,
         - reduced meat/leather yield of paraceratherium/titanoboa,
         - slightly reduced size of giganthopithecus/titanoboa,
         - fixed problems with selling items to traders,
         - fixed some herbivores not being able to eat live plants,
         - removed unfertilized eggs of arthropleura/titanis/titanoboa,
         - increased size of baby animals,
         - increased market value of the mammoth wool,
         - all the leathers now have different stats as well as market value,
         - added 6 more animals.

|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |

If you like my mods and would like to support me, please consider buying me a coffee :]

|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |

Enjoy!

kaptain_kavern

PixelBitZombie

So how aggressive are these guys, comparing them to like a cougar or fox? The most dangerous one seems like the Boa. Looks to be a nice mod though, already added waiting for them to appear.
"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head"

SpaceDorf

I am waiting for them to show up too, they are really beautiful.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Axebeard

IIRC, Combat Extended or one of those mods messes with creatures and needs a compatibility patch for new ones. If that's true, can you make that happen? Good work on the creatures, by the way!

Spino

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 15, 2017, 07:29:48 PM
Yay.

Very nice. Thank you
Thank you, too!

Quote from: PixelBitZombie on July 15, 2017, 07:45:40 PM
So how aggressive are these guys, comparing them to like a cougar or fox? The most dangerous one seems like the Boa. Looks to be a nice mod though, already added waiting for them to appear.
Titanoboa, Titanis, and Entelodont are set to predators, and yes, the Titanoboa is probably the most dangerous - since I couldn't add any special attacks for it, I just used the ones that are already available in the game, and so, this snake bites. It did kill one colonist instantly when I was testing the mod, as it's powerful enough to bite off humans' limbs in a single hit, so be careful :b

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 15, 2017, 08:05:14 PM
I am waiting for them to show up too, they are really beautiful.
Thanks, glad you think so  ;D

Quote from: Axebeard on July 15, 2017, 11:50:42 PM
IIRC, Combat Extended or one of those mods messes with creatures and needs a compatibility patch for new ones. If that's true, can you make that happen? Good work on the creatures, by the way!
Thanks, I'll test it later today and see if there are any conflicts that I have the ability to fix!

PixelBitZombie

As far as feedback goes, I've not got them yet. It's been awhile, I assume they're biome restricted, by the looks, maybe most are Jungle?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Axebeard on July 15, 2017, 11:50:42 PM

CE doesn't mess with spawn rates, it only affects things if you go into combat with a mod-added animal. The github wiki also has detailed instructions on all the stuff that goes into making modded animals CE-compatible (I imagine these things would have astronomical melee crit rates).
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Razzoriel

For those who don't know what is what. I've also photoshopped the entolodont's makeup, since it is restricted to a figurine in a game.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Spino

Quote from: PixelBitZombie on July 16, 2017, 06:48:16 AM
As far as feedback goes, I've not got them yet. It's been awhile, I assume they're biome restricted, by the looks, maybe most are Jungle?
Here are the biomes the animals can spawn in:
Arthropleura - Temperate Forest / Tropical Rainforest / Arid Shrubland
Doedicurus - Temperate Forest / Tropical Rainforest / Desert / Extreme Desert / Arid Shrubland / Boreal Forest / Tundra
Entelodont - Temperate Forest / Tropical Rainforest / Desert / Arid Shrubland / Boreal Forest / Tundra
Gigantopithecus - Temperate Forest / Tropical Rainforest / Desert / Arid Shrubland / Boreal Forest / Tundra
Paraceratherium - Temperate Forest / Tropical Rainforest / Desert / Arid Shrubland / Boreal Forest / Tundra
Titanis - Temperate Forest / Tropical Rainforest / Arid Shrubland
Titanoboa - Tropical Rainforest
Wooly mammoth - Temperate Forest / Arid Shrubland / Boreal Forest / Tundra / Ice Sheet

Do keep in mind that their spawn chances are somewhat small for the sake of balance.

PixelBitZombie

Hmm, do I need a new save file perhaps? I'm in the Arid Shrubs, as far as I know not one of them has popped up. I realize these are probably on the thrumbo side of rare, but if that is the case wouldn't the chances be greater with these many more creatures?

Hydromancerx

Awesome mod!!  :)

Please make ...

- Ambulocetus
- Aurochs (I have made one if you want to add it)
- Australopithecus
- Brontotherium
- Colombian Mammoth
- Diatryma
- Diprotodon
- Irish Elk
- Macrauchenia
- Moa
- Short Faced Bear
- Sivatherium
- Thylacosmilus

doctercorgi

Dire wolfs and saber tooths would be awesome! Definitely downloading.

EpicFox

Quote from: doctercorgi on July 16, 2017, 05:20:34 PM
Dire wolfs and saber tooths would be awesome! Definitely downloading.

Those already exist. I'm not 100% sure  but IIRC they're even in vanilla(a17).

PixelBitZombie

So they may not have showed up in my map but I can buy eggs. This was either the dumbest idea or the smartest idea I've had.
I also just realized I have two people named Tater & Wedge  ;)