Ambushed caravan is reset to the world hex it was traveling from

Started by System.Linq, July 15, 2017, 11:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

System.Linq

Whenever a caravan is ambushed (tested with manhunters), it is reset to the world hex it was traveling from, undoing all its progress. This is a serious problem if, for instance, it's traveling to the player's home base in the adjacent hex, which is in a mountain, and it's out of food.

Calahan

Thank you for the bug report. This issue has been reported before (see #2) https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31725.0 , and ison's reply was...

Quote from: ison on May 05, 2017, 08:32:10 AM
It can indeed be a little bit annoying, but for now I don't see any immediate solution. We can't spawn objects between 2 tiles. Perhaps we'll solve this particular case in the future, but for now I think it's fine. Such "reset loops" happen extremely rarely.

Although the context of the report was different, as that user was reporting a bugged scenario where a caravan could (theoretically) get trapped in a permanent loop if it kept getting ambushed and having it's journey reset to the centre of the tile each time.

The issue that you are reporting might well be of more significance though. So even though this is a known issue, I'll leave this open in case the devs want to revisit this in terms of coming up with a solution (maybe when a caravan is attacked the game should pause it's food consumption until it reaches the next tile).

ison

Thanks Calahan.

Okay, I think that there is a possible solution to this problem, but it's still not perfect. We could simply store the movement state somewhere in the map config when a caravan is ambushed, and copy it to every caravan which leaves this map. Problems:

1) How do we feed this information back? Should we draw the ambush icon between 2 tiles?
2) What if the player chooses a different exit direction? Should we disable other exit directions?

I'll leave this for Tynan to decide.

Britnoth

I've had this happen to myself repeatedly. First time my caravan was ambushed three times trying to move the 1 hex to reenter my colony. Next caravan season, it happened both while on the road (literally a road) and again on the adjacent hex as I try to reenter my home hex...

Combined with the fact the ambush rates are insane and there appears to be no cool down, it is another reason why caravaning is just infuriating right now. First ambush is not dangerous. when you get 2 or 3 in a row while having your movement reset, pawns have zero joy and are super pissed because they slept on the ground, were injured, exhausted or whatever, they go dazed or berserk between ambushes and are unable to fight the next.

A solution might be to give the caravan a minimum time before it can be reformed, and then let it continue from the next hex it was about to enter. Also, some form of event cool down please.

ison